Automatics and track days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My motorsports club is holding a lapping day in August at the Mosport Driver Development track. I imagine the configuration we'll use will be slow (maybe 50-60mph average for my Neon?)
I've got a 3spd auto and can keep it in 1st, or 2nd which uses 1st and 2nd, or D. 1st is good for 50mph and 2nd to about 75mph so I might only need 3rd once a lap.

My plan is to manually shift the trans to avoid the double downshift on slow corners.

Anything I should watch for with the trans? What's the first sign its overheating? It has lines to the radiator so it has some cooling.

Any tips for my first track day? The AC isn't working so I was thinking of putting a switch on that fan to run manually, probably all the time out there.

Most automatics don't really give any warning that they're overheating- they'll often continue working pretty normally right up to the point that fluid is boiling out the vent :-(

What might happen as a warning is a noticeable change in shift firmness, either significantly harsher or softer- but not very likely.

I don't think I'd worry too much though- that 3-speed in Neons is very strong and reliable- not the touchy beast that the 41TE 4-speed is. Keeping it in a lower gear will reduce heating (less torque convertor slippage in lower gears/higher engine RPM). Your idea of using the electric fan in manual mode is good, and of course adding an auxiliary cooler would be the best of all worlds. How long is each track run? That's another factor- I doubt that you'll actually be on-track long enough to really heat soak it. Let it cool down between rounds.

Well, a friend of mine who used to track his auto BMW was told by his instructor to run it in D3.

I would suggest running it in D2 and keeping an eye on your tach. If its going to redline, drop in into D once, and forget about it.
i wouldnt switch it back and fourth manually. That will not be kind to the transmission.

Also, if your planning on doing more than one track day. for the 40 bucks, install another cooler up front. Flexalite makes a good inexpensive small trans cooler. Also, as mentioned above, do a good cool down for the sake of everything that will now be hot on your car. Usually a lap or two will do the trick.

I would give you ATF a change too. Possibly some Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF if they meet your specs.

Have fun....Mosport is local to me too. We'll be at the big track this weekend for the British car event.

Last edited:
The trans does have a good reputation with guys who dragrace neons but I can't say I've heard of an automatic on the track, I guess the dipstick tube is also the vent? I'll have a look to see how far the oil normally goes up.

I don't know how long each session will be, we've got the track all day so even if I cut a couple laps off a session to save my car I think I'll have enough time on track to be satisfied. My brakes may be a weak spot too, I've got some better front pads to try which should help but we'll see.
I do pretty well with this old beater in autocross but I'll have to keep the redmist in check and not try to keep up with cars I shouldn't...

Originally Posted By: hounddog
Headgasket will go on that car before the trans.You ought to have a trans temp gauge.

+1

If you think you meed a transmission cooler, you need a temperature gauge to verify it, then if you need a cooler, you need a temperature gauge to see if it solved the problem.

Hmmm, what about using a temp gun back in the pits? I think the trans should be OK, it was used in the caravan for quite a while with a similar cooler setup.
As for the headgasket, its a newer one in there so it shouldn't be a problem... But its a neon so we'll see!
I keep the car in reasonable shape so hopefully there won't be any mechanical surprises but autocrossing and commuting aren't quite like tracking.

I buy all my transmission parts from a company called bulkpart.com. They have dozens of transmission coolers.

You will want the largest cooler that you can fit on your car.

Also the cooler holds fluid also, so plan on adding more fluid.

Buy some metal tubing from an auto parts store, and a flare/tubing bender tool.

You don't want to use the rubber oil lines that is included in the transmission cooler kit, i have had those leak and/or kink.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
A gauge sender in the hot-side of the auto tans line will read a lot more accurate then a heat gun pointed at it.Better yet if its everyday transportation DON'T do with it what you propose.

Well that's probably good advice, but its not a huge loss if the car goes up in flames... Once I get a better car in the future I won't be able to afford to risk writing it off like this one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
The trans does have a good reputation with guys who dragrace neons but I can't say I've heard of an automatic on the track, I guess the dipstick tube is also the vent? I'll have a look to see how far the oil normally goes up.

Actually the vent is inside the bellhousing behind the torque convertor on most automatics. If it blows fluid, it'll blow out there and at first you can't tell if you've split a convertor, shelled an input shaft seal, or just burped fluid. ATF has to get REALLY hot to do that.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I don't know how long each session will be, we've got the track all day so even if I cut a couple laps off a session to save my car I think I'll have enough time on track to be satisfied. My brakes may be a weak spot too, I've got some better front pads to try which should help but we'll see.
I do pretty well with this old beater in autocross but I'll have to keep the redmist in check and not try to keep up with cars I shouldn't...

Aw, now where's the fun in THAT? My friends that autocross tell me that half the fun in owning a car like a Neon, Subaru, or Sentra is taking it to an auto-X and beating the bejeebers out of cars that cost 4x as much.
grin2.gif

I still think a good cooler should be plenty to protect you as long as you want to run it hard.

Someone mentioned that the headgasket will go before the trans on that car... and that is probably true, IF your engine hasn't already been upgraded to the MLS head gasket. If it hasn't, then I would budget for that job (and in fact just do it) at some point.

Well, I'll give it my best shot to embarrass some performance cars on the track too. On raw times I was beating a guy with a 2007 Elise sport at the last autocross until the last run... And I did beat a stripped cammed 240SX with a full coilover suspension. I'm pretty sure the sport package on the Elise cost more than my Neon did new.
For the track day though, those cars will kill me, but if I can keep them in sight for a while I'll be doing well.

August 1st, I was thinking of mounting my digital camera up to take in car video, but we'll see if I get that done in time. I need to swap new front pads, and replace the front springs and bumpstops. I'm sure someone will be taking pics of our collection of misfit track rat wannabees... One guy has a turbo corvair track car that I want to take a ride in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back