Pennzoil Ultra in a high mileage vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading posts about Pennzoil ultra and like how you guys feel about it. I've been using maxlife in my car for a while now and no problems but been eager to try Pennzoil Ultra. My car has 185k miles and that's what is pushing me away. I need opinions!

Maxlife is an excellent oil, i wouldn't change a thing only to "try" it out

If your car is consuming oil or leaking..don't do it

Maxlife is a Group II / Group V Blend. Its always has been a blend although it wasnt marketed as such originally because of older car owners fears of synthetic. Its excellent stuff. According to the current PDS its 11.5 cSt @ 100C in both 5W-30 and 10W30. Thats a higher viscosity than most other 30 grades including PU.

I really see no need to change unless you want to extend beyond a 7500 mi OCI.

PS Walmart has VML rolled back to $14 per 5 Qt Jug right now. You might want to stock up.

Last edited:
Maxlife has some ester components/additives in it for seal conditioning, but it does not have any Group V ester base stocks in it. If someone has told you that, they have misled you.

And I agree with 185K on the OP car, I would stick to the Maxlife. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Maxlife has some ester components/additives in it for seal conditioning, but it does not have any Group V ester base stocks in it. If someone has told you that, they have misled you.

And I agree with 185K on the OP car, I would stick to the Maxlife. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Was told it was 20% Group V years ago, Sorry if thats bad info Johnny.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: YZF_Eric
I've been reading posts about Pennzoil ultra and like how you guys feel about it.

I don't think there is much more to go on than Pennzoil's ads and a couple of decent UOA's, so as far as "you guys feel" - that about sums it up!
crackmeup2.gif
Use it if you want but don't expect anything more than a 10 mpg gain, 50 unfound HP and a spotless engine in 100 miles. BUT it is good to know the Pennz Marketing works.

Seriously, as long as your engine is in good shape, no leaks, and isn't consuming oil, you can switch to whatever oil is good for the application.

On the PU questions, and answers the charts had up to 5 star ratings on PU, PP PYB etc... on the issue of high mileage, seal swell, etc etc PU gave no stars at all as a high mileage engine oil. Maxlife is one of the best oils for a true high mileage engine that needs these things so I would stick with maxkife,,, not only that maxlife is a outstanding regular no frills oil to run just ignore the high mileage advertisement part of it, run the oil as a top tier oil..... I ran this oil for a long time because I like the oil itself not the high mileage part of he advertising.

Last edited:
For a HM motor, Maxlife blend may be the best oil on the mkt. If it works, stay with it.

I know guys that use this oil in new cars and love it. Will the sealers long term screw anything up in a NEW engine? Always wondered about this when in a new engine. Could cause gaskets to swell to much and cause issues down the road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back