Fixed my stripped spark plug hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Craftsman lawnmower. Found in my toolbox Permatex Form A Thread that I had for at least 15 years. A 3 part process. Coat the bolt/plug with release agent , mine was empty, so I used 3 in one oil on the plug. Next mixed the two part metal to metal mixture and placed in hole. Placed the plug in the hole and didn't removed in 5 minutes as per directions. Left overnight and started lawnmower in the next day and lawnmower worked good. Love it when I don't have to spend a dime to repair things.

Thank you for a nice addition to my mental toolbox.
May come in handy some day.

I hope the plug points away from the operator. Man that's great that it worked... but hardened goo holding in a plug at 300°.... I know mower engines are relatively low compression.... so under full load what do we think it sees... 300 psi at ignition? 6 of a sq in... so ~50 lbs on that plug if it cracks loose... the wire might make it flop around but if someone wanted to do pull out the physics book-- it'll see that pressure (force) for a d of .3 inches or so.... could easily see a 50mph spark plug...

M

The mentioned lawnmower was a pain for the 10 years I had it , bought it Oct of 2000 as I walked thru Sears and saw it for $60 as a return/warranty, etc. It was always hard to start. Didn't want to spend $28 for a new head and $8 for a new gasket. Could have taken to a motorcycle place near me and had a stainless steel insert. I cleaned the carb before I used the mentioned product and it was still hard to start. I took a small engine class 20 years ago at an adult ed center by a man with 28 years in small engine repair and remember him saying that Sears brought their product line down with their Eagar1 engine series. This is the engine I have. The plug faced in front of the engine away from me and I would hope the plug wire would hold it if it blew. I used helicoil 15 years ago for a project and didn't have much luck 1/4-20 which is why I had the mentioned products on hand. here is the product specifications http://www.permatex.com/products/Automot...read_Repair.htm Yes, I plan on adding a safety shield in case it does blow out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back