Are Mobil 1 High Mileage oils suitable for racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be used in a 1990 stock 4 cylinder engine and turning high RPM during it's use (5,000-6,500). Is Mobil 1 HM 10w-40 a suitable option for the car? The typical or recommended oil for the car is 5w-30. Thanks!

What kind of racing? What kind of engine? Any idea of oil temps? RPM looks like a Mini Stock Class that requires a stock engine.

Last edited:
i and almost all the other guys that i run hornets(4cyl stock, road course)with use some type of 20-50. with the high temps and stress youll loss viscosity quick. i have to change my oil every 2 or 3 races(maybe 30-40mi.) so rp is out of the question. seems like any 20-50 will do. i prefer not to use racing oil so i still have detergents. its not really a race motor since it wont be rebuilt every race. mobil 1 hm is a good choice though i would use a 20-50 definetly a synth(m1 is). ive been using valv syntech 20-50($2/qt. cheaper than m1) and its been good to me. youll find that youll turn anything into water long before it gets dirty. find a cost/piece of mind balance.

Last edited:
The type of racing is on a 1/4 mile dirt track oval. The engine is a 1.8 liter engine in a 1990 Acura Integra. These cars are completely stock, but run about 5,500-6,800 RPM for the entire 5 mile race. I don't know about oil temps unfortunately, but the water holds constant temperature. I know that is not saying much though.

I have both M1 High Mileage 10W-40 and M1 SM-rated 15w-50. I just want to obtain good wear/general protection and safe oil pressure during the races. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: OceanRocket24
The type of racing is on a 1/4 mile dirt track oval. The engine is a 1.8 liter engine in a 1990 Acura Integra. These cars are completely stock, but run about 5,500-6,800 RPM for the entire 5 mile race. I don't know about oil temps unfortunately, but the water holds constant temperature. I know that is not saying much though.

I have both M1 High Mileage 10W-40 and M1 SM-rated 15w-50. I just want to obtain good wear/general protection and safe oil pressure during the races. Thanks!

Just curious, are you using the OEM 170F thermostat? I've used Mobil 1 0W-40 in very high stress situations, high speeds, redlines, etc. and it held up great. I haven't had any experience with either of the other oils in my B18 so I probably won't be helping at all with this post.
lol.gif

If you're going to race the vehicle, you need a oil pressure gauge as a minimum plus an oil temperature gauge if you want to see how much heat stress you're putting on the oil.

Given the RPM band that your engine will see, a high mileage oil with it's additional seal conditioners, dispersants, and detergents isn't going to provide the best protection you'll need.

You didn't say what type of bearing/rod clearances you have, but blindly using a 15W-50 oil is not the answer. If you are using a stock engine with low mileage, you won't need such a thick oil as it would rob you of HP better spent driving the car.

If this is a high-mileage, stock engine, your best bet is using a comparable weight racing oil recommended by the manufacturer.

If your bearing clearances are excessive, you may need a thicker oil, but without an oil pressure gauge who knows? (For example, when I raced a GT-1 Corvette in the 80's, my cold cranking/idle oil pressure was 85+ PSI until the straight SAE 30 racing oil reached 180F then the oil pressure was maxed out at 60 PSI. This was a purpose-built SBC with tight, i.e., minimum, clearances.)

If you don't get an oil pressure gauge or an oil temperature gauge, I recommend using Valvoline VR-1 racing oils if you intend to dump the sump every few races or RP (stock or racing) if you intend to use the oil for the entire season.

Hope this info helps! Good Luck Racing! (Have Fun!)

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Originally Posted By: OceanRocket24

Just curious, are you using the OEM 170F thermostat? I've used Mobil 1 0W-40 in very high stress situations, high speeds, redlines, etc. and it held up great. I haven't had any experience with either of the other oils in my B18 so I probably won't be helping at all with this post.
lol.gif

Sorry for such a long time to respond to your posting. I am running the car with the stock thermostat in it. I heard from many peope that a quality 10w-40 is a good choice, but barely anyone runs it out there. Everyone runs a 20w-50 or a 15w-50 like I am using. From this forum however, I have heard many good things about the Mobil 1 ow-40 oil!! Thanks for your input! =)

This is a toughy, the extended high RPM use is what is going to make or break whatever oil you choose. In this case, hanging in a low gear at high rpm for 5 miles constant? Its very similar to the Solo II racing I do in my car. Difference is I am not doing it for 5 miles.

I think the M1 0-40 and 15-50 are the 2 best oils M1 makes. You really can't go wring with either one of them. I would go with the 0-40 first. Check oil levels before and after the race, if you are losing a little then go with the 15/50 if your not losing stick with the 0-40 it will net you a few extra ponies and in a 1.8 NA motor, you need all you can get!! That can "make" or "break" a win right there. Goodluck
smile.gif

Little late, but M1 0W-40 and 15W-50 are the oils ExxonMobil recommends in racing applications (apart from the dedicated racing oils). We know that many pro race teams use the 0W-40 in endurance racing, so 0W-40 would certainly be my pick. I can't find the link to the race oil test, but M1 0W-40 also gave up 10hp less than any 50wt.

If everybody else is running 20w50, you may be able to gain an advantage, however slight, by running 10w30. 5 minutes at 6500 rpm isn't very much. We test production engines for hundreds of hours at 6900 rpm with 5w20 where I work. If you can keep oil temperature below 300F, and maintain 50psi oil pressure you should be OK.

You need to get gauges in the car. Spend $150, and get some insurance against having to spend $1000's on a new engine.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If everybody else is running 20w50, you may be able to gain an advantage, however slight, by running 10w30. 5 minutes at 6500 rpm isn't very much. We test production engines for hundreds of hours at 6900 rpm with 5w20 where I work. If you can keep oil temperature below 300F, and maintain 50psi oil pressure you should be OK.

You need to get gauges in the car. Spend $150, and get some insurance against having to spend $1000's on a new engine.

Someone earlier had mentioned that having those gauges in the car are too important not to have, as you have said as well! I completely agree and has just been something that we skipped and never got back to. A definite mistake on our part, problems or no problems. I have put much thought into your theory too, and it just makes sense that the car should have an advantage with less viscosity drag. Thanks for commenting, your example really compells me to try a lighter oil (of course with the correct gauges first
grin.gif
). It is quite amazing that a motor can run that many hours with that thin of an oil!

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Little late, but M1 0W-40 and 15W-50 are the oils ExxonMobil recommends in racing applications (apart from the dedicated racing oils). We know that many pro race teams use the 0W-40 in endurance racing, so 0W-40 would certainly be my pick. I can't find the link to the race oil test, but M1 0W-40 also gave up 10hp less than any 50wt.

I have heard great things about this oil! If I can find it readily available, and am going to run a 40-Weight, this one might be the ticket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back