Good Gas Stabilizer..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sta-Bil, Amsoil, and Gumout are all wonderful fuel stabilizers for a resonable price. Try one of each and see which one best suit your applications.

Sea foam is really a good stabilizer. I used this in some dirt bikes that sat over a year and they fired right up and ran fine, I have never had that good of luck with any of the products designed soley for stabilization.

Seafoam works wonders, I put it in all my mowers and yard equipment, since the gas tends to sit for long periods of time....all it takes is 1 oz per gallon of gas.

Though I noticed Sta-bil has a "Marine" product that works as a stabilizer and also "nullifies" the effects of ethanol gas....though it had a hefty price tag, 9 bucks and some change for a very small bottle.....Seafoam is cheap, $7 and treats 16 gallons (1 oz per gallon) and also works as a cleaner.

sta bil blue marine formula,,,1 oz to 10 gals,,will clean up all ur bad gas , carbs, and injectors

Seafoam is good for that. Use about a half a can.
Why are you worried about the effects of ethanol? It is the answer to our global warming problem! lol.

Shell V-power = no ethanol. It is the only gas station in Toronto without it.

Ethanol = dried out and premature failing of parts. IMO

I like Amsoil AST. I had problems with Sta-bil not actually stabilizing and AST has been significantly better in my OPE.

I add stabilizer to ALL of my OPE fuel as unpredictable weather (winter and summer) sometimes leads to long idle periods for my suburban-use OPE. My fusspot Tecumseh-powered 1986 snowthrower still built up deposits in a brand-new carb during summer storage even though pretty much run dry. No such issue with AST.

A friend on mine at work, who I consider a mechanical guru, says that the B&S stabilizer works much better than Sta-bil.

All I know is that MMO doesn't do [censored] as a stabilizer for fuel with ethanol in it, especially for 2-cycle engines.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
That's weird since Sta-bil (Gold Eagle) is the one that makes the B&S product.

He says that Sta-bil doesn't last nearly as long as the B&S blue (in his experience...).

I have some gasoline-Stabil mix that is at least 18 months old and it works great in the lawnmower (small yard mowed infrequently). Last week I gave some to my neighbor for initial fill in a motorcycle he is rebuilding. It worked fine. The stuff looks fine in the can too--there's none of the varnish that I've seen in old, untreated gasoline.

I would say that Stabil is good enough at stabilizing gasoline.

On the other hand, the ethanol concern is valid. I did have to replace the mower's fuel line because it deteriorated badly on the inside. I used automotive-grade low-pressure fuel injection hose, which should hold up to the ethanol. I guess my advice would be to modify the OPE to be able to handle ethanol.

In my experience the Amsoil stabilizer is far better than Sta-Bil. By mixing Amsoil's a bit stronger than called for, I managed to keep a one-gallon container of 40:1 gasoline-oil premix for my chainsaw and other equipment fresh for THREE years, and this was gasoline with 10% ethanol in it! What was left in the container, about a quart, finally went stale over the winter before year four. Both ethanol and oil are supposed to cause today's volatile fuel to go stale even quicker than it already does, so these results impressed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back