Wix vs Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram. I've never had a issue with one and have seen a few models of the WIX that were just poor.

Never had to deal with Fram Customer service (a good thing) but when I called up WIX a few times with valid concerns about their poor design and flaws it was obvious that they could care less each time.

I've got quite a few WIX filters in the stash, they will be my last.

Bill

Wix seemed like they always (or at least used to) build a good quality filter. I don't know if times have changed, suppliers,factories, or whatever, but it seems like people have been bashing them as of late. I wouldn't have a problem running a napa gold or silver even for the most part. All the ones I've ever used seemed to be good quality. I've seen people post pictures of some air filters , or specialty filers that they claimed were not up to par. Seems like a lot of those filters were prob sourced from another vendor due to cost to outsource vs build. Just an observation.

On my application, Wix are top-notch. I've also been using them on the Malibu and Grand Am I maintain (same model number). I also used one in my dad's PT Cruiser. No fitment issues, all looked solid. Fram makes great air filters, too. Never had any issues with them either.

I've noticed that the Napa Gold and Purolator for my application appear identical. They're both made in South Korea, so I'd assume they're from the same manufacturer and the media looks the same as well (kind of a fuzzy material)

Now I have seen to Canadian Tire Fram Platinum they are pre oiled.....I'm wondering the air flow if will be less.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Depends on who you ask and which filter application you are refering to.

Let me elaborate. Air filters just cant be lumped into a "specific quality" like oil filters can.

Example:

Wix makes a very nice robust air filter for my wifes Element, the Fram is just so so. The Purolator cabin filters is [censored] and the air filter is so so.

Fram makes a nice filter for my truck so does Purolator. I like Fram over the WIx I tried.

My old truck Pureones had horrible fitting in the airbox, I suspect it would leak air past it. The Fram seemed small too but WIX was the same as the OEM.

I like Wix oil filters but every cabin filter I seen is ho hum same with Purolator. I dont care for Fram oil filters but in some applications the Fram Air Filter is the best bet.

If you want to be sure of a good fit buy OEM. If you want to see what brand does what for you application you need to see it by trial and error.

Wix products are A: Overpriced, B: Hyped, C: Air filters are of poor quality.

Fram air filters have ALWAYS fit well in my Jeep, Sierra, Silverado, Corolla, old Pontiac, Old Toy Truck, Old Astro, and I just put one in my Focus.

I tried wix air and cabin and they never fit well and are very expensive.

Wix customer services on the phone with customer complaining about unfit Wix air or cabin filter: Our air and cabin filters are much more expensive than Fram and Purolator therefore it must be much better, you just don't know how to use our filters that why it did not fit correctly in your cars. Sorry about that, you just throw that filter in a trash can and buy another expensive Wix filter then the second one may fit better. Thank you so much for buying our expensive air (and/or cabin) filters, we need customers like you to make us rich.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
"Our air and cabin filters are much more expensive than Fram and Purolator therefore it must be much better, you just don't know how to use our filters that why it did not fit correctly in your cars. Sorry about that, you just throw that filter in a trash can and buy another expensive Wix filter then the second one may fit better. Thank you so much for buying our expensive air (and/or cabin) filters, we need customers like you to make us rich."

You work there?
48.gif

About how I felt when calling there the few times.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
"Our air and cabin filters are much more expensive than Fram and Purolator therefore it must be much better, you just don't know how to use our filters that why it did not fit correctly in your cars. Sorry about that, you just throw that filter in a trash can and buy another expensive Wix filter then the second one may fit better. Thank you so much for buying our expensive air (and/or cabin) filters, we need customers like you to make us rich."

You work there?
48.gif

21.gif

No, I didn't work for Wix or whatever the company producing/selling Wix filter. I was making fun of Wix air/cabin filters and people who bought Wix filters, thinking that if they pay more they would get better quality filters which is not always true.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

You work there?
48.gif

21.gif

No, I didn't work for Wix or whatever the company producing/selling Wix filter. I was making fun of Wix air/cabin filters and people who bought Wix filters, thinking that if they pay more they would get better quality filters which is not always true.

I know that hence the smilly face. But they did have that "mindset" when I called them a few times with my concerns about the poorly built filter.

Bill

I happen to like Fram air filters, I've used Wix, but feel the Fram is better. JMO
27.gif
I like Purolator Pure One air filters too.

As I mention every time there is a Fram air filter love-fest, both times I used a Fram CA3902, it clogged my MAF screen with paper fibers. Bad filter media on those.

Regarding the Wix, it depends on the application. They don't fit right in one of my cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back