My first bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
P1050603.jpg

Just picked it up yesterday. It's an '06 Suzuki GZ250 with 4.3K miles. It came with a windshield and saddle bags (which I removed for now). Seems to be in good shape overall. Will probably just need to get a new battery. This is my first bike - something to learn on.

Planning to use Rotella T 5w-40 in it. Not sure about the filter.

Any recommendations on other fluids, such as brake fluid or chain lube?

Nice!

Motorcycle batteries are terrible PsOS. I went through one every 18 months until I started putting it on a trickle/float charger all the time when not being used.

I liked Castrol LMA brake fluid (Pep Boys seems to carry it) and one of the clear/waxy/dry chain lubes. Its name escapes me now, but it was in a blue aerosol can.

Best chain lube i ever used is S100 white chain spray.
The stuff clings to the chain like its super glued in placed and the wheel stays clean,chain life is excellent.
S100 also makes a chain cleaner as well as total bike cleaner that are amazing.IMO the best bike maintenance products on the market bar none.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Some people on GZ250 forum seem to recommend Dupont Teflon Spray lube as well.

That's what I use for my SV650, $5 at Lowe's. I'm sure you can download a service manual online that can answer many of your wrenching questions. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: swimmer

That's what I use for my SV650, $5 at Lowe's. I'm sure you can download a service manual online that can answer many of your wrenching questions. Good luck!

For some reason the service manual just says to use heavy engine oil and specifically advises against the use of dedicated "chain lube" products. Hmm...

Originally Posted By: swimmer

For some reason the service manual just says to use heavy engine oil and specifically advises against the use of dedicated "chain lube" products. Hmm...

I'm kind of cheap, I've been using heavy gear oil for a couple of years on my bike chains. Put it on thin, and wipe the excess off with a rag, yet I always end up with too much...

Does the manual say something like this: "Do not use any oil sold commercially as "drive chain oil", this type of oil can damage the "0"-rings (or seals)."

The Dupont stuff is O-ring safe. And once you do all the basic maintenance on the bike, just enjoy and ride. Did you take the MSF course?

Last edited:
Sha-wing! Nice bike. I was using gear oil for my chain, but switched to the Dupont chain lube. No more messy bike!

You should be able to find maintenance manuals on line.

Have fun - but keep your head on a swivel and watch out for those crazy cagers!

That's the RIGHT way to do it, IMHO, but not the convenient / lazy man's way. You might get your hands dirty doing it this way.

I first cleaned layers of caked on road crud and aerosol chain lube from the chain on my bike (it was a mess, that's why I hate spray chain lubes) then I applied gear oil to it. Apply it to a warm chain if possible and let it sit a while, then wipe off the excess. Some will fly off and oil up the tire a little, but that doesn't bother me.

IMHO, spray lubes are for people that don't like to to apply oil every 300 miles. All you need to do is prevent rust on the outside. The chains are mostly O ring sealed with grease inside them.

Well done, nice bike indeed.
How about heavy gear oil (140W) on chain? it stays on it a bit longer..

P1050603.jpg

Just picked it up yesterday. It's an '06 Suzuki GZ250 with 4.3K miles. It came with a windshield and saddle bags (which I removed for now). Seems to be in good shape overall. Will probably just need to get a new battery. This is my first bike - something to learn on.

Planning to use Rotella T 5w-40 in it. Not sure about the filter.

Any recommendations on other fluids, such as brake fluid or chain lube?

Use DOT4 Brake Fluid: NOT DOT5! it's a good idea to flush the old stuff out and check the condition of the hoses, etc..

If the chain lube can says "Safe for All O-Ring Chains" it probably is...

Cheers!

p.s. Now, down to business: what did you give for your GZ250? I just got a new battery for the Nighthawk 250 and a Battery Tender Jr. is a great way to go. Got a handle on your gas mileage, yet?

A lot of guys think lube is not all that necessary because the orings hold in the lube. It's true the lube is fine inside the chain, but this does nothing for the sprockets and the dry rollers will wear the teeth rapidly and ruin your chain even though it's nice and lubed inside.
I don't like lubes that are hard to clean off after they set up, like PJ1 which goes on thin then hardens. I don't think they do a great job lubing, as chains did not last long. I tried the teflon lube on my new Yamaha WR250R las winter for 600 miles and I don't think it was doing that great a job. Another option is to simply smear lithium grease on a dozen or so rollers and it will distribute to the rest if you don't enjoy cleaning. The best lube I've ever used is BG White Lightning, which used to be one of the most popular lubes, but this was long time ago. Hard to find now, but still nothing better and I get 50-60k miles out of a chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back