In Search Of...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for an aluminum complex NLGI 0 grease with low tact, EP/AW additives, good shear stability, and cold weather compatibility. It also needs to be available in consumer friendly sized packaging.

Something like Schaeffer 274 would be perfect except for "Excellent adhesive properties" in bold text in the description leads me to believe it has a lot of tact.

It will be used on sliding parts of firearms. Lubriplate SFL-0 has an excellent reputation for this but is only available in 35 Lb pails and lacks EP/AW additives.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have used Schaeffer's 274 in the past and don't remember it being especially tacky. A grease does not have to be "stringy" to be adhesive. If you can locate a single tube of the 274, I think it would be worth a try.

Something else to consider is Royal Purple's Ultra Performance grease. It is a available in tubes and a NLGL 0 grade, but I have no idea how many tubes are in a case.

Schaeffer's 274 does not contain any tackifier in it. If you look at their 229 it states not to use in automotive or electric bearing applications due to its cohesive and adhesive properties, hence the use of tackifier.

Why in the world do you need AL complex for guns? That's for equipment that operates in wet conditions constantly. Do you store your guns in a bog?

Go with one of the good gun greases. I like Weapon Shield grease or (for low temps) Jardine's extreme grease. Both are very good.

I am not interested in gun specific lubes. My belief is that they are overpriced hype, you can disagree but that is my opinion.

I want the aluminum complex because of the water resistance it offers, they also tend to do very well in the cold. It may not be necessary but I have not seen a reason not to use aluminum based greases. I don't keep my guns in a bog but unfortunately we do spend a fair amount of time in cold & wet weather together
frown.gif
Grease is my personal preference for slides and bolts because it stays where I want it much longer.

Thanks for the replies so far the 274 looks promising since it does not have any tackifiers. Anyone know where I can pick up just one tube? I am also interested in other products which may be available as well.

try deere corn head grease, or special purpose HD moly grease.
both contain anti-rust additives and the HD is compatitable with aluminum grease with 3% moly.

Quote:
My belief is that they are overpriced hype

I actually agree you...on most of them.

The two I mentioned are formulated and made by shooters...so they are exceptions. I have used both and they are excellent. The Jardine's is specifically made for low temp.

Unless your gun is submerged in water for a LONG period of time, you will notice no difference with the Al thickener. Al may also have poor cold weather properties. Make sure to check the specs. on the grease you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back