2 cycle outboard oil in a chainsaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some 2 cycle outboard motor oil, the kind you mix with the gas. Can I use this in my 2 stroke chainsaw and for that matter, my 2 stroke weed wacker? Or, does it have to be specific for non-marine applications?

Which oil do you have?

AMSOIL recommends 3 of their 2 stroke oils for chainsaws and weed wackers, but does not recommend 2 their 2 stroke oils for that use. You may wish to contact the oil and equipment manufacturers.

Wrong oil for aircooled engines but would be ok in a weedacker or leaf blower. Wouldn't go there in a hard working chainsaw.

(since Tim is quick to bring up amsoil)
When amsoil only had the injector oil they (wrongly) insisted it could be used in anything and everything with great results. Glad to see after all those years of #@$%!'n they have some true aircooled oil. Don't mix the 100:1 product at 100:1 in anything that matters, amsoil is still stupid on that one.

AMSOIL was the first to market a synthetic 2-cycle oil in 1973. They made only 1 oil and I think they expected it to do everything. I understand it didn't do everything well, but know of no failures where the oil itself failed. AMSOIL now markets 5 different synthetic 2 stroke oils and 4 of them are not recommended for all 2 cycle applications. AMSOIL makes 2 100:1 2 stroke oils and I am not aware of any problems when used in recommended equipment. AMSOIL does warranty the use of its products for parts and labor if used propery in the right equipment. The Better Business Bureau lists no warranty complaints in the last 3 years.

Not talkin 1973, but all those years they had the synthetic injector oil, now HP I believe. Gunked up many two cycles with dykes rings and many outboard that ran high ratio injector settings. It was the only product they had (besides the 100:1 oil) so they said it worked in everything. I'm sure they had people that knew better, but it was ALL about the sale. Except for some detail exceptions they seem to be doing better now with a bigger 2 cycle product line. BBB? at the walmart here we have some ACCELL oil that api-SA for dirt cheap, I don't know who would want this old non-detergent garbage? checked on the local BBB and found no complaints, ever. must be good then? and all the sludged motor stories with api-sa must not have been true.

Use air cooled two cycle oil in your air cooled engines. Boat oil has different additives intended for water cooled lower rpm engines that don't work too well for the air cooled crowd. I recomend Mobil One Racing 2T, but any good air cooled oil will work.

wileyE,

Amsoil first came out with their 100:1 oil in 1973, and then came out with their first gen. injector oil (TC-W3) some years after that.

The 100:1 stuff, ie an ISO-L-EGD product, has always been their preferred offering for high rpm, air cooled engines uses in OPE applications. The injector oil does meet the API-TC spec for air cooled engines,but I consider this to be a bare minimum spec for something like a chainsaw and ISO-L-EGD and/or JASO-FD is clearly preferrable, due to the additive chemistry.

TD

Never use a TCW3 type oil in a aircooled application, EXCEPT Lanwboy mowers, Toro snow throwers and some pumps and Gen sets.
Amsoil 100: is not a EGD product BTW.

Quote:

wileyE,

Amsoil first came out with their 100:1 oil in 1973, and then came out with their first gen. injector oil (TC-W3) some years after that.

The 100:1 stuff, ie an ISO-L-EGD product, has always been their preferred offering for high rpm, air cooled engines uses in OPE applications. The injector oil does meet the API-TC spec for air cooled engines,but I consider this to be a bare minimum spec for something like a chainsaw and ISO-L-EGD and/or JASO-FD is clearly preferrable, due to the additive chemistry.

TD

Tom, what is your take on why Amsoil has NOT certified to nnma tc-w3 specs? Seems to run off some potential consumers?

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Wrong oil for aircooled engines but would be ok in a weedacker or leaf blower. Wouldn't go there in a hard working chainsaw.

(since Tim is quick to bring up amsoil)
When amsoil only had the injector oil they (wrongly) insisted it could be used in anything and everything with great results. Glad to see after all those years of #@$%!'n they have some true aircooled oil. Don't mix the 100:1 product at 100:1 in anything that matters, amsoil is still stupid on that one.
Ditto! Pennzoil used to have a paper on air cooled vs water cooled engines and oils. Different operating temps, different amounts of bright stock, ashless formulation versus low ash etc. Use the proper oil for the application.

Get yourself a cheapie saw and try the outboard oil.
If the plug gets fouled switch to aircooled oil.Valvoline
sells a muti-purpose oil spec'd for air/Water cooled.

Originally Posted By: MrMeeks
Get yourself a cheapie saw and try the outboard oil.
If the plug gets fouled switch to aircooled oil.Valvoline
sells a muti-purpose oil spec'd for air/Water cooled.

Not to bust on you, this thread is two years old!

This is a no-no..
Ive seen to many aircooled two strokes with
damaged main bearings due to use of outboard oil.
The oil chokes in the bearings, i belive that the air cooled engine runs much hotter in the mains than the rather cool outboard. Also seen these damages on snowmobile engines
despite the fact that they are liquid cooled.
Outboard 2 st oil is for - outboards duh.

Originally Posted By: blano
Never use a TCW3 type oil in a aircooled application, EXCEPT Lanwboy mowers, Toro snow throwers and some pumps and Gen sets.
Amsoil 100: is not a EGD product BTW.
so its ok to use it in a fixed low rpm air cooled application such as my duraforce lawnboy engine at 32:1 and in my 2-cycle chicago electric generator at 50:1?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chewy781
so its ok to use it in a fixed low rpm air cooled application such as my duraforce lawnboy engine at 32:1 and in my 2-cycle chicago electric generator at 50:1?

With the number of quality air-cooled 2-cycle oils available, why chance it? Finding a JASO FD oil isn't hard these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back