What is the coolant reservoir for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is probably a stupid question but I have had two Ford Rangers and the coolant reservoirs in both were always empty but I have never had any cooling problems. My Impala on the other hand, seems to be over filled. It is above the hot line when the engine is warm. Can this be harmful? One of my local shops filled it recently when they fixed a coolant leak.

As long as the actual radiator is filled to capacity, what is the clear plastic reservoir for?

For expansion and reserve. When the coolant is hot it expands. The radiator cap keeps the pressure in the radiator to a specified amount, the rest pushes into the overflow.

When the engine coolant cools down, the coolant is drawn back into the radiator as the fluid contracts.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
hot fluid expands.

ding... we have a winner!
happy2.gif

And on your Fords make sure you have some coolant ALWAYS in the reservoir!

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
ding... we have a winner!
happy2.gif

And on your Fords make sure you have some coolant ALWAYS in the reservoir!

Ding ding! Another winner. All the older Fords that I've had (or have) with those big, boxy reservoirs always seem to go low over time. They simply do not seal well and there's always evaporation.

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
That is probably a stupid question but I have had two Ford Rangers and the coolant reservoirs in both were always empty but I have never had any cooling problems.

See my comment above. What years are the Rangers?

Originally Posted By: dsmith41
That is probably a stupid question but I have had two Ford Rangers and the coolant reservoirs in both were always empty but I have never had any cooling problems. My Impala on the other hand, seems to be over filled. It is above the hot line when the engine is warm. Can this be harmful? One of my local shops filled it recently when they fixed a coolant leak.

As long as the actual radiator is filled to capacity, what is the clear plastic reservoir for?

Overflow!

Originally Posted By: Garak

Ding ding! Another winner. All the older Fords that I've had (or have) with those big, boxy reservoirs always seem to go low over time. They simply do not seal well and there's always evaporation.

+1

My current Ranger is an 05 FX4 and I used to have a 1996 reg cab shortbed 5 speed.

I have some Peak Lifetime Global 50/50 in my garage that I think I will top it off with tonight. It says it's universal so I'm going to assume it will be okay with the Motorcraft Gold. It shouldn't take much anyway.

It is a good idea to keep the Impala's reservoir a little overfilled to help insure air does not get drawn back into the radiator. Older cars didn't have reservoirs and ran a little low in the radiator until warmed up and at lower pressure. A reservoir is better and a pressurized reservoir is better still especially with modern coolants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back