New AC compressor, what else should I replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid a mechanic friend of mine $200 to replace my compressor and drier on a Saturday afternoon. He vacuumed it out before recharge. I bought a compressor and drier as a kit for $190 aprox.

2005 Mercury Sable. 3.0 Duratec. Works great ever since.

if you have an orifice tube check it. that will tell you whether you need a new condenser or not. If it is relatively clean (very fine particles) re use the condenser. If large metal fragments I'd replace the condenser. Assuming it is a parallel flow condenser and not tube and fin. you can flush tube and fin.

If it makes noise when the A/C is disengaged, it sounds like a clutch bearing/bushing is going bad. It will make noise when the compressor is disengaged. Might as well replace the clutch and/or check the gap as per specifications. If you think about it, that clutch bearing spins whenever the engine is running.

A little update: I finally decided to make some progress on fixing this thing. I'm trying to find used parts and I'm trying to keep the whole bill under $300, but it's pretty diffcult. Bad news today: Looks like I have to replace the condenser.

2a94be00.jpg
37.gif
37.gif

I found a used one for $45, no idea what condition it's in. I'm pretty much stuck with that, or a new one for $80. I found a used compressor on eBay for $75 (OBO) plus $20 shipping. It has only 81k miles on it. Apparently came out of a mint cash for clunkers Explorer. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/
I can't seem to find used hoses anywhere, so I might be stuck with spending $80 for new ones. A new accumulator is about $25. A few bucks for PAG oil and O-rings, and about $50 for a shop to evacuate and recharge the system.

Oh yeah, I also need a new fan and fan clutch. Another $60, PLUS another $40 for a tool I'll probably never use again. sigh...

Some AutoZones rent out vacuum pumps - and some hose shops will rebuild new hoses - unless you can find the OEM Visteon assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back