E15: Only For 2007 And Newer Vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.brighterenergy.org/12742/news...-further-delay/

"The EPA is now preparing to approve E15 fuel, containing 15% ethanol, for vehicles with a model year 2007 and newer."

54.gif

Doesn't look like owners of pre-2007 vehicles will be forced to use higher ethanol blends anytime soon, but I'm curious why the EPA made this decision. Is it because they haven't tested E15 in pre-2007 vehicles, or is there something about 2007 and newer cars that make them better able to handle higher blends?

Interesting. In IL a few years ago they passed a law (or proposed a law, not sure) that would have required all fuel to be E20. There was a big controversy over that because it hadn't been tested safe in non Flex Fuel vehicles. I'm not sure where the EPA got their 2007 year from.

I think this is the answer, "Ethanol producers want the approval for 2001 models and newer, and a faster decision." If they can push the approval model year back far enough, the sooner they can start E15. The gov would probably consider the life of a vehicle at 10 to 15 years, so push the approval date back and then E15 could be started soon.

How is this going to work? Kill the mid grade pump and add an E15 pump? If I were a gas retailer, I'd like an E15 dedicated pump about as much as a root canal.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
How is this going to work? Kill the mid grade pump and add an E15 pump? If I were a gas retailer, I'd like an E15 dedicated pump about as much as a root canal.

More likely a blend pump drawing from 3 tanks. Regular and Premium unleaded, and E100. Blend it at the point of sale, in whatever configuration called for. One advantage? IMO, no more wildly varying ethanol concentrations when mixed in the tanker.

X2!!! ^ ^ ^

When will people catch on to this political football?

And read up on the byproducts of alcohol combustion. Some really bad "...zenes" come out that are not dealt with by current emissions tech.

This is not Brazil.

what about all the automakers with 2007 and newer cars that specifically say in the manual not to use greater than 10% ethanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back