2010 Ram hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just bought a new 2010 Ram with the 5.7 hemi in it. Just passed 1k miles and will do an oil change soon. I am debating between Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Pennzoil Platinum.

Any suggestions? The truck will see light duty towing and some long range family camping trips each year.

Thanks in advance!

congats! i really like the new rams. i'd go with castrol edge or syntec, or mobil1 just due to availability, i had probs running royal purple in my 96 grand cherokee, it is great oil but it started leaking like crazy, switch to a diffrent oil and leak stopped, amsoil is great but pricey and can be hard to come by and personally i'm not a big fan of pennzoil(the pennz dino smells like sulfur which does'nt sit well with me)

Royal purple 5w20 n ask NHHEIM he been using royal purple in his dodge ram. Maybe he may jump here n help u out.

I use Amsoil 5w20 XL.Its not hard to come by.Just add Amsoil to favorites and order on line.Big Brown delivers. Super easy shopping.Oh and become a preferred customer.Save some money.Hemi requires a 6k or 6 mooth oil change.I get the WIX oil filters from Amsoil also.

Last edited:
What is the OEM OCI interval?
How often are you going to change oil? (More often than, even with, or strecthed further than the OEM recommendation?)
Your OCI should guide your lube selection, not emotion.

Short-to-moderate OCIs do not call for synthetics. If you run moderate OCIs, and use ultra-expensive products, you'll never recoup the cost investment. And don't buy into all the hype and rhetoric about how fantastic synthetics are over conventional oils, because that is only true when certain conditions exist:
* E-X-T-R-E-M-E cold makes a difference (say below -10 deg F).
* Very long OCIs make a difference.
* Overheating makes a difference (and I truly mean a boiling over type of overheating; not "towing").

If you don't expect any of those conditions, then you don't NEED synthetics at all, even though you might WANT them. There are plenty of good dino products on the market that will more than well enough protect your new investment. Don't get me wrong or misunderstand; I do believe that synthetics are fantastic products, but ONLY when used with both their benefits and limitations in mind. They are not a magic "solves all" solution.

If you simply cannot avert your eyes from the shiny, glaring topic of synthetics, then use the least expensive one you can find, and at least that way you'll not be wasting as much money (although it will still be a waste).

I now return you to your regularlly scheduled mythology ...

BTW - 5 posts after three years? Now that's restraint!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flaminchiten
Hi all,

Just bought a new 2010 Ram with the 5.7 hemi in it. Just passed 1k miles and will do an oil change soon. I am debating between Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Pennzoil Platinum.

Any suggestions? The truck will see light duty towing and some long range family camping trips each year.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on the new truck. The new Ram is great. I wanted an 09 in Deep Water Blue when I bought my new truck back in Nov of 08 but got such a deal on an 08 they were trying to move to make room for the 09's I couldn't pass it up.

This is what you need for your 2010 HEMI Ram...

1 - 5W-20( 0W-20 ok in cold winter temps but it needs 20 weight to operate properly - avoid 30, 40, and 50 weight oils ).
2 - API Certified w/ the Starburst( currently that requires SM service level )
3 - Meets or exceeds Chrylser oil standard MS6395
4 - Change it by your OLM as long as that falls within the max limits they provide of 6 months/6000 miles. You change it by whatever comes first = OLM, mileage, or time. As a rule the OLM seems to be set from the factory to go off the 1st time right at 2500( earlier OLM's anyway - 2010? )and then after that it starts to lengthen. Mine went off right at 2500 but has not gone off on me again( 5000-5500 ). I have had to change by the time frame to this point.

In regards to the oil brands you mention...

1 - Royal Purple. I have run RP for decades now and in a TON of MOPAR products. I actually am running it in my 08 5.7L HEMI Ram and ran it in my 04 5.7L HEMI Ram. It has always done a great job for me. I really like their products and I use them everywhere I can not just the oil( my 08 currently has RP everywhere but the tranny and t-case but will be there as well at some point ). However, just be aware RP 5W-20 does not meet all of your warranty needs. It does meet/exceed MS6395 and it is API Certified BUT it is only API SL service level. It does not carry the Starburst anymore which requires the oil to be certified to their most current service level. So it does not 100% meet your requirements. RP offers a supplemental warranty for this situation( ie; using SL where SM/Starburst is called for )if you are still interested? I have a copy I can get to you if you want it. The chances of a problem are small but if you ever did have one the wrong API Certification might bite you in the butt. Also, just FYI, RP also offers oil filters that are excellent. Kind of pricey but really top of the line filters. # for your vehicle is 20-820. I am using this filter myself.

NOTE - in full disclosure and honesty. I recently did a UOA on my 08 with the RP( 7 months and 5400 miles )and it did not give me the results I expected at all( high copper and low TBN ). Not horrendous but not great. I plan on another UOA in 5K and I expect it to be a LOT better. My engine was still breaking in which I believe was part of the issue( only 14K when sample taken - 9K when the oil was added ). I have done UOA's before with RP and they were fine. Again, I fully expect the next one to be very good but you never know. Some engines just don't like certain oils( individual or in general - my comment is about my engine though not all 5.7L's ) . I wanted to add this to the comments above just to be honest and open. My less than stellar UOA does not mean you would see the same thing or even that my next UOA will be as poor as the 1st.

2 - Amsoil. They make excellent fluids( and oil filters )and would be a good choice. However, only their XL line meets your warranty requirements. None of their other oils in the weight you need are certified at all let alone to the level required. So while under warranty stick with the XL 5W-20 if Amsoil is what you want to use. It is rated for 7500 miles and is more reasonably priced than their other oils so it is a good choice for the 6000/6 month limits on your vehicle. Avoid their non certified oils and the 1 year 25K OCI's until out of warranty. Contact site members Pablo or Gary Allen and they should be able to give you a good deal on some 5W-20 XL if Amsoil is what you end up deciding on.

3 - Penzoil. Platinum or Ultra would be good choices. Easy to find, affordable, meet all of your warranty needs, and they are decent oils. You would not go wrong with these oils at all.

I would also suggest checking out Kendall GT1 w/ Liquid Titanium( make sure it is the full synthetic one not the blend that uses the same basic product name - read the label ). This oil is really good, meets all of your warranty needs, and is also very affordable. Just $4.99 a qt at PepBoys so it is right there or even less than the 5qt bulk jugs from Wal-Mart so many people love to use because of the great value.

Enjoy that truck.
34.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
What is the OEM OCI interval?
How often are you going to change oil? (More often than, even with, or strecthed further than the OEM recommendation?)
Your OCI should guide your lube selection, not emotion.

Short-to-moderate OCIs do not call for synthetics. If you run moderate OCIs, and use ultra-expensive products, you'll never recoup the cost investment. And don't buy into all the hype and rhetoric about how fantastic synthetics are over conventional oils, because that is only true when certain conditions exist:
* E-X-T-R-E-M-E cold makes a difference (say below -10 deg F).
* Very long OCIs make a difference.
* Overheating makes a difference (and I truly mean a boiling over type of overheating; not "towing").

If you don't expect any of those conditions, then you don't NEED synthetics at all, even though you might WANT them. There are plenty of good dino products on the market that will more than well enough protect your new investment. Don't get me wrong or misunderstand; I do believe that synthetics are fantastic products, but ONLY when used with both their benefits and limitations in mind. They are not a magic "solves all" solution.

If you simply cannot avert your eyes from the shiny, glaring topic of synthetics, then use the least expensive one you can find, and at least that way you'll not be wasting as much money (although it will still be a waste).

I now return you to your regularlly scheduled mythology ...

BTW - 5 posts after three years? Now that's restraint!
But I Read this article that said syn oil was the best and I have this brand new vehicle that I am going to keep forever and I want only the best as I read this article on Ferrari chat and I have no clue on the subject but it makes sense that no oil can be too thin or all oil is too thick .

Syn oil really doesn't help in overheating problems ,,,boiling over. If you loose most of the coolant you will have created a an air space between the combustion chamber and the top of the cyl head. The heat will increase on the top of the piston some but there have been holed pistons with perfectly operating cooling systems. what will happen is the heads will warp and there is a very good chance the valve seats will fallout before the oil temps are greatly effected. I made a pretty good living changing /repairing overheated engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back