Delo 400 Multigrade 15w40 DHDEO (Chevron)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, missed the Delo 400LE post below.

Maybe one of the mods can merge it? I don't mind.

Last edited:
That's a great price. I paid AUD$55 for a 5 litre container of Delo 400 Multigrade at the local caltex (which works out to more than double what you paid $ per litre!).

I think I'll be looking at getting a 20 litre drum of Delo. Hopefully they have the Multigrade and not the LE.

They had it on special, it is two years old. I'll use it in two so it should be ok. Especially being in steel drum.

What are you using it in?

Have you done any UOA or VOAs on it?

The 20 litre drum is much cheaper than the 5 litre containers.

I'm using it in a 2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Haven't done any oil analysis. I know a few others who use it too. One of them in a KTM SuperDuke 990.

I was thinking about using it in my little 1.5 Ford Festiva but I'm currently running Nulon 10W-30 and it's not consuming any oil at all so I think I'll keep running the 30 weight in it until it starts using.

I'll also be using the delo in an AU II Falcon (dual fuel).

What are you using it for?

I'm using it in a 2008 Triumph Speed Triple 1050.
Haven't done any oil analysis. I know a few others who use it too. One of them in a KTM SuperDuke 990.

I was thinking about using it in my little 1.5 Ford Festiva but I'm currently running Nulon 10W-30 and it's not consuming any oil at all so I think I'll keep running the 30 weight in it until it starts using.

I'll also be using the delo in an AU II Falcon (dual fuel).

What are you using it for?

Hello fellow ozzies, nice to see an OZ connection on here ! Great price on the Delo, I will definetly look out for some at that price up in SE QLD. Ended up using Valvoline super diesel 15w-40 in my Max, on special from Supercheap, a few weeks back 47$ for 10 litres. Have been toying with the idea of getting a VOA done, 28$ for the sample kit + analysis, plus postage at a major Brisbane trucking service centre.

Have you seen a VOA for the Delo by any chance ? Or more to the point have you come across a stash of OA's anywhere for the land downunder ? Wish we had a site just like this one, it annoys me that the oil companies change the names on the oil we use in order to keep us guessing ! Well done to Bob the oil guy and all those who share their knowledge.

Cheers from Marty

Hi Marty,

I think the formula for the Australian Delo 400 is the same as US.

There is a bunch of VOAs from 2005 by Stinky Peterson that has Delo in there.

I have some feedback for the Delo 400 multigrade 15w40.

The shifting is getting notchy now, from about 2000-2,500kms. I am going to change it out at 2,500kms by the feel of it.

The first change with it gave real smooth shifting (easy to knock out of gear accidentaly), better than the Motul 300V 15W50 that was in there before. However the Motul shifted pretty good out to 3,000k and was still reasonable at 5,000k.

I read "Oil mix for smooth shifting: Shifters mix #8" by HighViscosity on this forum and he said that Delo 400 was the worst shifting oil he had tried.

Might try some blending of good oils soon for the fun of it.

I mainly commute to work (80% no stop tollway) 400kms/week + the occasional full throttle blast couple of times a week for a few minutes.

A bit more riding in the cold weather (8-14C)(46-57F) and the shifting is better than I thought last post. Going to leave it in a while longer.

in my tests delo 400 le was one of the less shear stable hdeo's
but, it DID stay in grade! susvis of 70.6 the same as castrol 20w50 but clearly beat mobil delvac 1300 at 69.8

Thanks for the info sunruh. I am not using the LE CJ4 version. Using the CI4+ Delo 400 multigrade.

http://www.caltex.com.au/ProductsAndServices/Pages/ProductDescription.aspx?ID=1639

KEY PROPERTIES
SAE Grade 15W-40
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.886
Base No., D2896, mg KOH/g 12.2
Base No., D4739, mg KOH/g 10.0
Sulfated Ash, %m 1.4
Flash Point °C 230
Pour Point °C -33
Viscosity, cSt at 40°C 125
Viscosity, cst at 100°C 15.1
Viscosity Index 125
Zinc, %m 0.15

From converting the manufacturers cSt at 100C I get a starting point of:

72.3 for Mobil Delvac 1300
73.2 for Delo 400 LE

So Delvac dropped 3.45% from new
Delo 400 LE dropped 3.58% from new

So whilst Delo LE was thicker Mobil held its grade minutely better.

Actually I used the specifications sheet for Canada for Delvac. If you use the US specs you get 0.23% drop in viscosity.

Only way to know for sure is get a VOA I suppose.

Ok, rub it in. Can't get those products in Australia.

For the life of me I don't understand Shells Marketing. They have different product ranges for the HDEOs for different countries yet the ones in the US have the following and track record there.

Want to do me a favour and send me some surface mail??????

Does ST or Rotella come in 20 litre drums?????????

I'll take one of each sir!

Last edited:
craig,

SRT comes in 55gal barrels. actually, most do. my buddy Don let me test some 20w50 Kawaski oil right out of a barrel. it actually did better than castrol gtx and a few others, but not great. a pretty typical 20w50.

yes, i realize your world is completely different. i've been to Cairns and Sydney as well as Auckland.

i got to sit on one of my all time top bike want list - Suzuki RG500gamma. a bike not allowed here.

you just have to work with whats available and develop your own test data set to prove what works and whats snakeoil.

Update for anyone interested. Changed the oil and filter (OEM) at 3,600km. Shifting was noticeably smoother for about 2 full heat cycles on the engine. Shifting now is similar to the changed oil. Still very good, but not silky smooth like brand new oil. The Motul 300V Factory line 15w50 was very similar in behaviour.

My feeling is that msot oils behave this way. If there are any you think don't let me know. I'd be interested to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back