Weird idling while using Slick 50 Fuel additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, I am using Slick 50 Fuel treatment that I bought at Advanced Auto in the clearance bin for $1.99. My car is experiencing some weird idling behavior. My car idles fine and smooth, however, every 2 minutes or so, the RPM would drop from 800 RPM to 400 RPM for a second then back to normal. A big and brief idle rpm drop like that makes my car go from silky smooth to vibrating death mode. All maintenance were done in accordance with the owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: willix
Did the manual say add Slick 50?

No, that was for the people who might think my engine needs maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Currently, I am using Slick 50 Fuel treatment that I bought at Advanced Auto in the clearance bin for $1.99. My car is experiencing some weird idling behavior. My car idles fine and smooth, however, every 2 minutes or so, the RPM would drop from 800 RPM to 400 RPM for a second then back to normal. A big and brief idle rpm drop like that makes my car go from silky smooth to vibrating death mode. All maintenance were done in accordance with the owner's manual.

If you did all the maintenance in accordance to the manual [which I am sure you did as you give your car excellent maintenance] there is no reason whatsoever to use that snake oil.

Is the A/C on cooling mode or the windshield defogger that would run the A/C? How about cyclical high current draw accessories like heated seats? The PCM should control the idle speed when a sudden heavy load hits the engine like the compressor clutch kicking in or a heavy load on the alternator. It seems to me like a vacuum leak would increase the engine speed rather than cut it down, but I don't know what kind of car you have. A carbureted engine could behave differently. I would check the Idle Air Control valve and make sure the throttle body bore and blade are squeaky clean and the IAC is connected. If the IAC valve or the throttle blade is sticking, it could cause the RPM to drop under heavy load because it can't let in more air to make up the difference. You can probably clean both of them, and if they are badly gunked up, you should check the PCV system to make sure it has vacuum and the valve is working properly.

Just a thought anyway. And yes, even at $1.99, the oil additive is not worth it..

I have no reason why people think it's the Slick 50 oil additive when I clearly typed "FUEL TREATMENT".

J.A. Rizzo: The same symptoms show when my cooling fans kick on and I can hear the fans clearly. However, this time, the engine acts if there is a load every 2 minutes and there's nothing to be loaded. I will check the other parts you mentioned. Thank you..

Sounds almost like a current draw, like JA Rizzo is describing.

I'd guess electric fan or something similar. Just a guess.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Might be some deposits being cleaned out? Might be a dose of cleaner that was not mixed up? Or?

Hey, that is the line for A-RX; you can't use it for any other additive :)

- Vikas

I used their Oil Treatment once, and never considered their stuff again. I stick with regular STP and other brand regular injector cleaners. None of that "special" stuff for me. What I found amusing when racing was racing the teams were sponsored by stuff they could not use IN the race car; Slick 50, The Outlaw, Z Max, etc.
31.gif

Snake Oil is just a name for a gimmick product!

I am sure we all read that you used the fuel treatment. It is still snake oil though.

Might want to clean your throttle body and MAF if you haven't done so before. I'm also wondering if the cleaner has loosened up anything in your fuel tank, which may have gone into your fuel filter and caused the problem at idle, when it may not be noticeable when driving.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I just filled up with fresh gasoline for the 2nd time since I put slick 50 in. Bad idling burps disappeared. I will NEVER USE SLICK 50 FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER AGAIN!!!!!

PROBLEM SOLVED.

I just filled up with fresh gasoline for the 2nd time since I put slick 50 in. Bad idling burps disappeared. I will NEVER USE SLICK 50 FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER AGAIN!!!!!

And may I ask how many people cautioned you against using garbage like Slick 50?

See, Slick-50 fixed your idling problem! Now your car is running better than ever!! The weird idle was when Slick-50 was cleaning the internals of your fuel system!!!

- Vikas'the-snake-oil-salesman'

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
PROBLEM SOLVED.

And may I ask how many people cautioned you against using garbage like Slick 50?

Me and my frugal spending habits.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
See, Slick-50 fixed your idling problem! Now your car is running better than ever!! The weird idle was when Slick-50 was cleaning the internals of your fuel system!!!

- Vikas'the-snake-oil-salesman'

WOW,THANSK!! Now I shall use slick 50 and drive with no oil in the engine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back