Exhaust Pipe Sealant

Status
Not open for further replies.

V1

I'm going to help a friend install a full exhaust system on his 1995 Ninja. He bought a Vance & Hines SS2-R system for the bike.

V&H says that no sealant is required between pipes sections, but that a high-temp silicone sealant may be used if desired. What would be the most suitable product to use for this application? RTV? HondaBond or equivalent?

any of them should work as long as the temp rating is high enough.

A lot of sealants will have a tempurature rating that is based on brief exposure to a given temp.

I always figure to error on the high side seeing how exhaust temp is somewhat constand once its up to temp, with the occasional spike here and there. I know permatex makes some really good RTV. the bronze is the highest I believe.

Last edited:
The orange/copper RTV is good too. With V&H you're not gonna hear any leaks anyway.
lol.gif

My experience is none of them can withstand the heat long term, no matter what the temp rating. What can happen is whats' left of the burnt up product can stay in place and seal a little longer than the next product. That said the orange seem to turn to dust and blow out quicker than the black and copper. The black is a little cheaper and looks better if any shows, so that's what I like. It'll seal well and last reasonable amount of time in a relatively tight fit. If you have room, add wraps of teflon tape along with the silicon, or increase the diameter of the small area with wraps of alum tape. If there still is leak potential protect any area the leak may hurt, airbox, master cyl, wiring, etc, before it happens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back