What's more important: oil or filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna say that a good oil filter is more important than a proper motor oil.

Now-a-days, you can get away with using a mediocre dino oil in most applications, but it's the filter that matters more..

I drive by the lube places, and see something like "Joe's filters" being used.. Makes me cringe. The bulk oil in the gun, not so much..

What say ye?

Flame on!!
49.gif
36.gif
23.gif

Last edited:
Motor oil is far more important, as a matter of fact the filter has been debated before even being needed after breakin. The other side of the story is however that if you have a oil filter equipped engine how bad is it to use a filter not doing it's job of holding oil at shut down ? I'm not sure myself, however I will stick with my answer that a good motor oil being the better choice.... when it comes down to it a liquid will filter particles that our oil filters could never filter... hence a sump full of oil you have a 5 quart filter at work.

Another note as long as the gun is shooting out oil that meets the manufactures specifications I don't have a problem with the oil either... slapping a brand name on a jug does not mean we are getting better oil only spending more money.

Last edited:
I've heard people argue that a quality air filter is more important than the brand of oil or oil filter (assuming they meet minimum manufacturer specs)

Motor oil and air filter is far more importance than oil filter. Example, Honda oil filters are made by Fram and it can be used for 2 OCI's (for many models) up to 20k miles or more.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Motor oil and air filter is far more importance than oil filter. Example, Honda oil filters are made by Fram and it can be used for 2 OCI's (for many models) up to 20k miles or more.

The FRAM is that good? Seriously? Which one is it?

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

The FRAM is that good? Seriously? Which one is it?

He's referring to the Honda OEM filter, some of which are made by Honeywell, which also makes Fram filters.

The oil is more important. For argument's sake, you could compensate for a low-quality filter by changing the oil more often. But you can't compensate for an inadequate oil.

It depends. We'll assume that the oil meets current API rating and that the OEM interval is the limit of usage. That answer is neither at that point.

Besides the occasional big chunk, the filter is there to trap larger insolubles from the combustion process. From my brain picking, these fall into two classes. Filterable size and around the 2um range. As long as the filter has enough holding capacity for the amount of material you're shoving its way, the finer filtration really isn't an issue. That would come into play if there was some extended oil drain. Otherwise, you're refreshing the sump in a timely enough manner to prevent the smaller stuff from being too numerous (too much total stuff) for the oil to keep small.

If you go for the longer haul, or are willing to use them over two OCI's, an upscale filter may make sense. They build in the higher holding capacity to manage it. Otherwise, your standard filter should be of adequate capacity to manage the insolubles over the normal OCI.

If you've got a robust oil designated for extended drains, then it's a toss up on whether or not you need ultra fine filtration as long as you have the higher holding capacity.

Filter efficiency is plotted on a curve. Even your alleged fine filters aren't all that fine at the time of being put into service.

Yes, air filtration is more important, but I really don't see too much distinction between a Fram or a Wix/etc. People can whine about fit and finish and whatnot, but all pretty much fall into a decent acceptable range of performance.

Well they all are important. Good oil with a bad filter or bad oil with a good filter will be [censored]. Good oil AND a good filter are the way to go! Don't forget a good air filter as well.

Passenger cars have too short of OCIs and trips to warrant a good filtration systems, but take a look at heavy duty applications with multiple in line filters and big sumps, they can extremely extend their OCIs, compared to passenger cars, without any adverse effects to engine life.

It all comes down to cost, people don't keep their cars or put so many miles as heavy duty trucks do, so it's cheaper to just change the oil more often to get rid of contamination, and that's the way small engines are designed, therefore even the best oil filter that you can buy for a car will never match the filtration system on a heavy duty application.

Besides, if the car sees regular maintenance, the filter media will be pretty much clean. I opened few oil filters, only to find a clean filter media.

werent cars made without oil filters for the longest time?? i know they've always used oil..
in my opinion oil is most important, followed by the air filter, then oil filter

Last edited:
The oil, for sure.

There's been a study done (the original 'BOB', I think) that showed an engine can run without harm w/o a filter.

Small OPE engines, a lot of them, still use no filter.

But run ANY engine out of oil, and.....

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
I was going more towards filter failure..

Filter failure has too low an incident rate. While some have surely led to catastrophic failure in the engine, the odds of multiple filters failing is slim. That means that whatever harm is done will amount to very little out of the vast span of potential life of the engine. One that the user may never test. So, that one filter turns a 400k engine into a 380k engine over one 5k event. Taking a whopping 4:1 toll of grueling abuse out of the engine's life equity.
21.gif

Oil, oil, oil.

Some companies are advising using a filter for two OCI's these days....not sure about that, but I wouldnt double my OCI with the oil.

The oil filter is of minimal concern. The oil if proper rated is of minimal concern . The airfilter and a well sealed intake plumbing is of major concern,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back