Too many Gas additives=BAD??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard the term that "too much of anything is bad" Is this the same case with using fuel additives? More specifically MMO or other fuel system lubricants. What if I dump an entire gallon of MMO into my gas tank? Will it still run? I haven't dumped an entire gallon of MMO in the gas, but just as a "what if scenario"

The other fuel system additives seem to be a supplement to the additives that are already in the gas at the pumps, but if someone were to use too much of it... What would happen?

Do the research and add the proper amount to your tank. This forum is for solving REAL problems. FWIW Oldtommy

MMO at 1:10 will still run but you might foul plugs.

I've taken my spark plugs out and dumped MMO down in the cylinders for a decarb. IMO it splashes around and coats everything until the engine warms up enough to burn it off.

Expect knock retard and unpleasant running if you do it.

Other FI cleaners that are mostly kerosene will also cut your octane.

It might run but very poorly. It's best to stick with the recommended dose of 4 ounces MMO to each 10 gallons of gas. You can experiment from there and try smaller amounts to see what dose works best for you. Especially in smaller engines, 4 oz can be too much.

Use a PEA detergent based fuel system cleaner like Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner, Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner or Red Line SL-1.

They all contain PEA detergent in large concentrations that is proven to safely and effectively clean carbon deposits from your entire intake system and fuel injectors.

MMO doesn't have this tested proven PEA detergent at all.

According to your owners manual, the correct ratio of MMO is likely to be:
0:eek:ne million.

If you want to experiment, use your trusty lawn-mower and try to run it with your preferred gas additive. Just put a tiny bit of it and if you have problems with that concentration just add the gas to the tank and dilute it.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Use a PEA detergent based fuel system cleaner like Techron Total Fuel System Cleaner, Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner or Red Line SL-1.

They all contain PEA detergent in large concentrations that is proven to safely and effectively clean carbon deposits from your entire intake system and fuel injectors.

MMO doesn't have this tested proven PEA detergent at all.

Does Amsoil PI, and Lucas Fuel Treatment & Deep Clean contain PEA detergents??

Pablo? Anyone??

What about LC Fuel Power Plus?

If you feel you're that badly carboned up a water spritz down the throttle body may just be the thing for you. 100% serious.

Don't use a fire hose.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you feel you're that badly carboned up a water spritz down the throttle body may just be the thing for you. 100% serious.

Don't use a fire hose.
wink.gif

At this point, the old saying, "less is more" comes to mind. . .

You could dump a gallon of motor oil in your tank and it would probably do the same thing as a gallon of MMO. Run poorly and smoke like [censored], but you wouldn't have to worry too much about mosquitoes.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

You could dump a gallon of motor oil in your tank and it would probably do the same thing as a gallon of MMO. Run poorly and smoke like [censored], but you wouldn't have to worry too much about mosquitoes.

Haha....so true.

Originally Posted By: Bigsyke
I put a 2 qts of ATF and a QT of MMO in my tank and it didnt do anything unusual.

You were lucky.

The fact is that that "junk" isn't supposed to be put into your fuel system. If the engineers that designed that system intended for it to be there they would have told you so.

Thanks I'm going to stick with the engineers word over people on the net that like to pour mystery stuff into their cars.

I put a 2 qts of ATF and a QT of MMO in my tank and it didnt do anything unusual.

IIRC Gary Allan did something like that, what were you trying to accomplish?

I ran a heavy dose to free up a sticking fuel float, it worked too, saved me some nice $$. For the few years after the treatment that I owned the car I never had problems with the float. It saved a few carbs for me over the years too, now adding it to fuel has become second nature. I stick close to the suggested rate unless there is a problem I'm trying to resolve.

IMO cars that see little use, sit for several days/weeks or months w/o use etc can really benefit from a UCL. It is also great in 4 cycle boat engines used in salt water, it prevents flash rusting in the combustion chamber. I learned that over the years helping my brother with his boat.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy

You were lucky.

The fact is that that "junk" isn't supposed to be put into your fuel system. If the engineers that designed that system intended for it to be there they would have told you so.

Thanks I'm going to stick with the engineers word over people on the net that like to pour mystery stuff into their cars.

This begs the question: why then do you read these posts? To save everyone, as a sort of evangelist, from that which runs afoul of your belief system is a thinly veiled excuse to ridicule and berate without voir dire. I asked a legitimate question in response to your rebuff, which you ignored. You, sir, appear to be a bigot toward anything that is outside the boundary of your reality, which as indicated in your words in the above-captioned post, is pretty narrow. Have it your way, of course...it appears to be quite comforting to you.

At any rate, I appreciate all who have shared their experiences here, from which, I was able to solve several problems through the use of chemistry on my beloved old Volvo which saved me quite a bit of money. I guess my years as CIO of an international software company in the molecular modeling space with Phd chemists on my staff, allowed me to have an open mind.

I'm off now and good luck to everyone in their endeavors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back