No oil in Triumph Spitfire oil filter......normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you british car guys know anything about this?

Its the 1500 engine. It appears that theres oil getting to the head because the valves are wet. however, when I took out the filter, it looked like it was bone dry...as in, hadn't seen oil.

The gauge shows good pressure, so its not a pump issue.

the only thing I could think of, was that the adapter that was added so the car would accept regular Napa oil filters may not be allowing oil to the filter.

Any thoughts? I'm a bit spooked.

A quick thought, the car sat for three days, and the filter is on the side of the engine. Could it be that the filter just has a really [censored] or no ADBV and it completely emptied itself?

I dont see it, the oil is a 50 weight, and was quite dark when I drained it.

Don't know if the adapter is causing you grief, I have the same engine in my MG Midget. Somebody changed from the 5/8" nipple to the 3/4" nipple long before I got it, but I usually use Bosch filters. If you took the filter out after it was run, then that is really strange; mine usually makes a big mess when I unscrew it. Isn't the threaded side the outlet of the filter? Seems to me if it was dry no oil would be getting anywhere, unless the pressure relief valve is stuck open or the spring is broken.

Yeah, maybe its just a dud filter.

The car sat for three days without being run, so maybe thats it. I just figure the filter would hold SOME oil.

Maybe I'll double check. Looked bone dry to me.

Maybe I'll turn it over a few times and see if oil comes out the filter hole. If it does, then I'll start it and check the gauge again.

If I end up pulling the pan, can I reuse the gasket, or use a high temp gasket maker?

Ryan

I vote for a bad adbv. I had a Midget 1500 for a long time and would occasionally get a filter w/ a weak adbv. On a cold start, a bad/tired valve would give the Triumph "death rattle" until oil filled the filter and started circulating.

BTW the 1500 is a bit tough on oil, I'd recommend a cooler if the car sees a lot of highway use. Also, the 1500 engine was stretched and stroked from earlier Triumph mills, maybe too far. If you start to get a conrod knock, change the big end bearings...relatively easy, interim fix done in the car (at least on the MG) provided the crank is not too bad. Google around to see what can happen to the 1500...

It is a good engine as long as it is reasonably operated and maintained.

Good luck, w

Thanks for the reply.

I hope that's what it is. We would have known a while back if there was no oil circulating. Plus Dad drove it over, and he would have noticed either the gauge or the light.

I'll keep you posted.

My feelings are it's ADBV, You say you have a pressure gauge? How long does it take for pressure to come up?
There is a pressure relief valve, It's in the Big, long Bolt thing under the filter, just above the oil pan. It's 'possible it stuck open, but then you would not record oil pressure.
I use the small filter common on many Fords and Toyota's (can't think of the # right now) it fills quickly and cuts down on the Death rattle time.

DO NOT fit an oil cooler unless you know you have too high oil temps (Very unlikely) Except in MG Midgets, these engines even run a little cool. I record 170F after 1 hour of highway driving, highest ever recorded was 200F on a track day!

Sure these engines are bored and stroked to the max, but they were known to be cool engines to start with, which was one reason they were used in the sealed, rear engine compartment in the German Amphicar.

15w-40 works well for many people, I did not record ANY drop in oil pressure when I switched from 20w-50 in my car.

If

Hi, thanks for the reply.

we'll see how it goes, but I'm hoping it is the filter.

If I turn over the engine (plugs out) should oil come out of the filter hole eventually if the pump is working? Might be a dumb question.

They did not use anti drainback valves back then.
This could be all that is wrong.
It should fill almost immediately upon starting.

Im thinking it must be. Just talked to Dad, and he said he watched the gauge like a hawk. It showed good pressure all the way to the house. Got to be the filter.

It sat for days prior as well. Lots of time for oil to drain out.

The filter I use is Purolater L10241, it has a ADBV and is very common.

Yes, you should see oil after you crank the engine about 5 seconds.

I double checked the filter, and there was a small amount of oil in it. I couldnt see it at the bottom, but I could hear it sloshing up the sides, inside the canister.

I'm going to finish with the valves, start it up, and watch the gauge. As long as it shows pressure, I'm going to run it for a couple minutes, and pull the filter and check after a warm engine.

I'll post back.

ryan

As an update.

After the oil change, and a quick run. she pressured right up, and there was good flow to the filter.

Must have drained back over the three days. : )

thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back