ACCEL 40W Non Detergent SAE SA OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would anyone use this oil in an old stock 1940 Ford engine in florida. Car only used very slow local driving

Norman

Nope....you you want to keep then engine clean with a detergent oil.

IF engine has been run on nothing but ND oil, then you want to do a buch of short changes with detergent oi to get the gunk out.

Thanks , that is just the answer I thought I would get I'm the new owner of the car and really don't know the oil use history, I'm just about to change it so will do just what you suggested,
I think I'll use Castrol GTX 20W 50 what do you think?

Norman

Originally Posted By: Norman

I think I'll use Castrol GTX 20W 50 what do you think?

when that engine was built they used SAE10,20 and 30 depending on ambient temps.In Florida I'd use a quality SAE30 or a 15w-40 but nothing any thicker.

My dad has one of these, he runs castrol HD 40. Probably old school thinking from the 1970s, the exhaust going by the water jacket making it run hot is part of his justification.

I would run a 15w40 diesel oil, you're probably going to let the car sit a lot and the extra additives will keep it well preserved. The GTX 20/50 isn't a bad choice either.

The Accell 40 weight is not made with any fancy tech to do anyone any favors, it's made to as cheap a possible a price point for slum dwellers to throw in their oil burners.

I don't think that accel oil should be ran in any engine not even an old lawn mower. I don't think a non-detergent should ever be used. Now if an engine is fairly clean I think a case could be made for using an ashless oil like airplanes use but that is not non-detergent. Not that I know of anyone using ashless oil in automobile engines though.

i have two of those flathead fords, in trucks. the flathead crowd uses 20w-50 because of parade idle time and notoriously low idle oil pressure. i have used 15w-40 deere plus 50 in them for years. what i use these trucks for is running pto and ideling for hours on end and after about half an hour oil pressure is only a couple of pounds, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything, they've been used in the same app since new. one has 30,000mi &the other only has 7,500mi., but, i'm sure thousands of hours.

they like mmo in the gas

If the engine is stock, why not use something like a National 10W40 or a YB 10W40 or other mineral oil that has the anti-wear and detergent packgage to keep the engine clean?

An ND oil has neither an antiwear package nor the detergency to keep an old engine in top shape.

Last edited:
Straight 30 or 40 HDEO oil or a multi visc HDEO if it is cold at startup time [winter].HDEO oil is a match made in heaven for a flathead engine. I worked on them for many years in industrial applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back