Mobil 1 Synthetic grease is junk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good!

Next time I place an Amazon.com order I'll probably check out the RL grease, or look into another brand of grease.

Guys, sorry im late to the conversation but im very surprised that your grease guns are leaking so badly. All my life so far i have never seen this happen. i grew up on a farm where we had grease guns everywhere, even on the tractors themselves. We never emptied or released the pressure from the guns and i dont remember ever seeing this. I have lived in NC for the last ten years and my grease gun stays in my shed fully pressurized and i get no leaking at all. My dad usually buys grease by the cases so he throws me 4 to 6 tubes when i go to PA to visit and they just sit in the shed. Even through our hottest summers none of them had leaked at all. I dont remember exactly what it is but some of it is pennzoil HD something in a yellow and black tube and the other is some different stringy stuff in a green and black tube. Why would the synthetic greases have more of a tendency to leak? I guess now that i know better, ill start releasing the pressure on my grease gun.

Grease = Oil + Thickener + Additives. The thickener holds the oil in place, sort of like a sponge. Squeeze the sponge, out comes the oil.

The most important part of lubrication is selecting the correct viscosity oil. The charts above depict 2 different viscosity base oils. They are also 2 different NLGI (thickner) grades. Apples and Oranges...

Grease = Oil + Thickener + Additives. The thickener holds the oil in place, sort of like a sponge. Squeeze the sponge, out comes the oil.

The most important part of lubrication is selecting the correct viscosity oil. The charts above depict 2 different viscosity base oils. They are also 2 different NLGI (thickner) grades. Apples and Oranges...

Mobil Delvac Xtreme is a great Heavy Duty Truck and Equipment grease but I would not recommend it for wheel bearings. It is not the correct viscosity (too thick).

I had Mobil 1 grease in this gun for the last 2 yrs with no drips or problems,last month i bought another tube and put it in the same gun.
After reading this thread i decided to go look and sure enough i have a puddle of red oil under the gun,what a freaking mess.

In the trash with this rubbish and get some Amsoil or Redline.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I had Mobil 1 grease in this gun for the last 2 yrs with no drips or problems,last month i bought another tube and put it in the same gun.
After reading this thread i decided to go look and sure enough i have a puddle of red oil under the gun,what a freaking mess.

I complained about the M1 grease, tried the Amsoil Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2 and was very pleased. Loaded up some Amsoil Series 2000 grease and was left with a mess worse than the M1. Talk about a freaking mess! Just a heads up!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Trav

I complained about the M1 grease, tried the Amsoil Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2 and was very pleased. Loaded up some Amsoil Series 2000 grease and was left with a mess worse than the M1. Talk about a freaking mess! Just a heads up!

With Amsoil it seems like their new Polymeric Off-Road Grease is where it's at. Red Line CV-2 is top notch, after using it exclusively for over a year now I have witnessed zero visible oil separation at ambient temps.

I've seen M1 grease separate in the tube (no pressure) at room temps many times.

Not sure what you did wrong or what your "heads up" is all about, but I and many customers have been using Amsoil S2K grease for many years. I have a couple 10 year old tubes!!! Zero leakage.

not to jump on the bandwagon but, I have also had lucas(yuck) and m1 syn greases leak like crazy out of my grease gun,

The regular mystik, lucas, and TSC brand ones I had didnt leak.. maybe a drop or 2.

Makes me wonder which will hold up better in my boat trailer bearings, and tractor spindles.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Not sure what you did wrong or what your "heads up" is all about, but I and many customers have been using Amsoil S2K grease for many years. I have a couple 10 year old tubes!!! Zero leakage.

You had zero leakage, I had leakage. The other Amsoil product I mentioned had zero leakage. I learned from this board to release pressure on the grease gun, so what could I have done wrong? As far as a heads up, I was informing Trav of my experience, "just a heads up", a common phrase I use. It isn't about attacking Amsoil it is about helping a member.

I think you overreact to my comments if they are negative about Amsoil a little too much. I said I was happy with one of their greases and not happy with another. I call it like I see it, if I were selling it, every single Amsoil product would be perfect, just like any salesman selling a product.

Seeing the puddle the S2K grease left I'm wondering how well it will hold up in the bearings I packed with it.

If it leaked out of the grease gun it will leak out of the wheel bearings if, and this is a big "IF", if after packing your wheel bearings you hang your car up on the garage wall for the next 12 months and just let it set/hang there.

That was sort of a joke at all the grease leaking talk. If the wheel bearings were packed correctly the oil in the grease will not leak out, assuming you drive at least once per week/month/year. Every time the wheels rotate the grease mixture gets re-distributed within the bearings. Usually if a wheel bearing leaks the oil out of the grease, the wrong grease was used (i.e., not a high enough temp rating).

Thanks Johnny, that was my understanding which is why I didn't repack the bearings. Still it does leave you with an uneasy feeling.

OK OK I overreacted and my word choice was poor, I'm sorry for that. But the way you wrote it made it seem like all S2K grease will do this, and that simply is not correct. I've supplied this grease to all sorts of race teams (I make no money on that!!!) and I've donated it to school race teams (ditto) - some of these guys have zero respect for free stuff and abuse the heck of it. No leakage. AND it holds up very well in abusive use.

Now it's possible you got a bad batch, but that must be pretty rare. I mean I believe it leaked for you, no denying that. But what was the cause?

What is funny in all of this was I liked the S2000 grease it had a lot of body etc. I discovered the problem later on with the dripping and seperation when I picked the gun up off the bench at a later date. No pressure in the gun.

Amosil had suggested the S2000 grease as better for packing bearings. I have the Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2, which is perfect, I use that for king pins, ball joints, etc and think its great. Had I known what I know now I would have used the Synthetic Heavy-Duty Grease NLGI #2 for packing the wheel bearings too.

I might let it go until winter and pull a wheel and have a look. As far as the cause? I have no idea.

Ive found grease usually separates, almost to an oil if it sits long enough.

I Have noticed that the M1 grease I have right now seems to separate if a bit oozes out in storage. Weird. Im sure its good grease though.

I have experienced leakage with several types of greases. I tried Green Grease mainly to see if it would not leak. So far, It hasn't and it was in the gun for several hot summer months. I also want to thank whomever suggested I could 'adjust' the flexible nozzle tip so it wouldn't be so hard to remove. I never would have known about this had you not recommended it. THANKS!

M1 grease keeps my trailer bearing hubs very cool. Have used M1 grease for many years and have never had a bearing assembly leak grease with M1. Or bearing failure for that matter.

my grease gun is loaded with M1 (the tube is less than a year old) leakes. i have to keep shop towels under it.. never seen grease do this before until M1... i have used M1 for a handful of years and i have no issues with it. i will continue to use it though it is very messy to store.

I have had similar problems with Mobil 1 grease. I also just simply did not like the consistency of the stuff, not sure how to describe it, but I just didn't like it.

I am an open-minded AmsOil fan. I don't believe AmsOil is the only oil that will do the job, but it is my go-to for extended drain interval applications. I also love their gear lubes, greases, and tranny fluids.

That being said, I have not had good luck with AmsOil's S2K grease. No component failures, I just didn't think it was tacky enough and tended to sling out of my wheel bearings rather than stay in the rollers. I now use nothing but AmsOil's Multi-Purpose #2 grease. Stuff stays where I put it, without being overly tacky, and performs very well.

Just my two, alright, maybe three cents, and my experience may be unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back