2010 nissan altima 2.5 oil suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all. Just purchased new for the wife, she will be doing a mix of 50/50 city and hwy. We live in Louisiana where the summers are hot. First oil change will be at 1k and then 4k-4.5k thereafter. Plan on keeping it for a while because this will be my daughters car in about 3-4 years.I'll probably use purolator filters exclusively since AA is around the corner from the house.Thanks

I'll tell you a secret look in the owners manual at the oil requirements and ratings. Go buy an oil with those ratings. Any of the common brands will work, they are that good. Really there is no magic.

What OCI do you have in mind? Do you have a conventional/blend/synthetic preference?

I've used Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 and Castrol EDGE 5W-30 in my 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 which has the same QR25DE engine. Both ran fine; I'm doing 6,000 mile intervals.

AAP has a $26.99 oil change special right now where you get 5 quarts of SynPower and a K&N filter. I picked some up 5W-20 last week for our VUE and used the "$10 off purchased of $25 or more" coupon. (Some AAPs will accept the coupon on oil change specials, some won't.) My net cost was $18. I'm going to pick up another and then submit for the $25 Valvoline rebate. My net cost then will be $11 for 10 quarts of SynPower and 2 K&N filters. It's hard to beat that deal.

I solicited input on suggestions for my Altima's next OCI. The thread is here. So far, the Pennzoil synthetics have been the most suggested. The others I'm considering are Quaker State full synthetic (which is $18 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart and many folks seem to like it) and AMSOIL ASL (which I can get a good deal on, though I'm not really interested in extending my OCIs past 6,000 miles so it'd probably be a waste).

I had a 07 Altima with the QR25DE. With the 5 quart sump, and 4-4.5K OCI's. I would use any SM rated dino oil like Mobil 5000 or Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
I'll tell you a secret look in the owners manual at the oil requirements and ratings. Go buy an oil with those ratings. Any of the common brands will work, they are that good. Really there is no magic.

I agree. Any brand is good and doesn't matter if it is syn or dino, you need to follow the recommended OCI to keep warranty intact. You may do shorter OCI's but not extended OCI's with syn.

If it were my car:

Synthetic,I`d use a group IV (Royal Purple)
Conventional (Pennzoil or Valvoline)

I change my oil every 3 months regardless of mileage,and I prefer Nissan oem oil filters. The ones for the Z32 (the made in Japan ones,part # 15208-55Y00) are built like a tank! Not sure about the newer Nissans though

Those Nissan 4 cylinder engines will run forever. Just keep the oil changed and you`ll never have any worries. Did you buy the 4 door or the 2 door one that looks like the 350Z?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
you need to follow the recommended OCI to keep warranty intact.

Nissan's Schedule 1 OCI is 3,750 and Schedule 2 is 7,500. You'll have to decide which you fall under, but as long as you keep it under 7,500 miles and are using a proper API-certified oil and good filters, you shouldn't ever be denied a warranty claim. (The liklihood of having an oil-related engine warranty claim is very small to begin with.)

My Nissan dealer has a Mobil 1 offering and suggested 5,000 - 6,000 mile intervals (with such a synthetic), which is likely very conservative since they have a vested interest in you spending $90 to have them do that service.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Did you buy the 4 door or the 2 door one that looks like the 350Z?

Off topic, but as an owner of an Altima Coupe, I take that as a HUGE compliment. I've had people mistake mine for a 350Z and the G35 coupe. Granted, I think they're idiots when they do, but take it as a compliment nonetheless.

Last edited:
I would just run the factory fill for the Schedule 1 OCI of 3,750 miles then change it.

We live a few miles from Florida and have long hot summer seasons and run 5W20 year around.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
What OCI do you have in mind? Do you have a conventional/blend/synthetic preference?

I've used Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 and Castrol EDGE 5W-30 in my 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5 which has the same QR25DE engine. Both ran fine; I'm doing 6,000 mile intervals.

AAP has a $26.99 oil change special right now where you get 5 quarts of SynPower and a K&N filter. I picked some up 5W-20 last week for our VUE and used the "$10 off purchased of $25 or more" coupon. (Some AAPs will accept the coupon on oil change specials, some won't.) My net cost was $18. I'm going to pick up another and then submit for the $25 Valvoline rebate. My net cost then will be $11 for 10 quarts of SynPower and 2 K&N filters. It's hard to beat that deal.

I solicited input on suggestions for my Altima's next OCI. The thread is here. So far, the Pennzoil synthetics have been the most suggested. The others I'm considering are Quaker State full synthetic (which is $18 for a 5-quart jug at Walmart and many folks seem to like it) and AMSOIL ASL (which I can get a good deal on, though I'm not really interested in extending my OCIs past 6,000 miles so it'd probably be a waste).

I'm thinking more along the lines of conventional, but I'm open to all suggestions and the info you guys are giving me is very helpful. In dino I was thinking PYB, Chevron supreme, or Motorcraft semi syn. SYN I was leaning PP,or Q State full syn ,QS is $15 a jug and there's plenty at my local Walmart.Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
you need to follow the recommended OCI to keep warranty intact.

Nissan's Schedule 1 OCI is 3,750 and Schedule 2 is 7,500. You'll have to decide which you fall under, but as long as you keep it under 7,500 miles and are using a proper API-certified oil and good filters, you shouldn't ever be denied a warranty claim. (The liklihood of having an oil-related engine warranty claim is very small to begin with.)

My Nissan dealer has a Mobil 1 offering and suggested 5,000 - 6,000 mile intervals (with such a synthetic), which is likely very conservative since they have a vested interest in you spending $90 to have them do that service.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Did you buy the 4 door or the 2 door one that looks like the 350Z?

Off topic, but as an owner of an Altima Coupe, I take that as a HUGE compliment. I've had people mistake mine for a 350Z and the G35 coupe. Granted, I think they're idiots when they do, but take it as a compliment nonetheless.

That`s awesome,huh! When I had my 3000GT (it was the brite red color) I always had people say,"Hey man is that a Lamborghini?" I was like,"Nah,it`s a Mitsubishi",and they would be like,"huh???????"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Twin
In dino I was thinking PYB, Chevron supreme, or Motorcraft semi syn. SYN I was leaning PP,or Q State full syn ,QS is $15 a jug and there's plenty at my local Walmart.

Quaker State FULL SYNTHETIC is plentiful at your local Walmart for $15/jug!? At mine, when on rollback (which seems to be most of the time), it's $18. At either price, there's not much reason to chose a good dine which is probably only a few bucks less. But I say that admitting that I'm in the full synthetic camp and won't use anything else.

We have the same car, did the first oil change at 3750 and haven't decided when I am going to do the next one. I used a wix filter and M1 5W30. Our driving falls in the 15% city and 85% hwy. I would think we would be good for 7500 miles like that. From what I have heard this is a good engine but it does tend to shear the oil. I am thinking it would be best to do an analysis on it.

So that leads to a question. Or car only has 6200 miles on it now, how many miles should one put on an engine before it would be good to take a sample? I would think one should wait 10,000 or more to make sure it is broke in all the way.

Also would it be best to wait till the 3rd oil change before sampling? I say this because I don't want to waste money.

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799
We have the same car, did the first oil change at 3750 and haven't decided when I am going to do the next one. I used a wix filter and M1 5W30. Our driving falls in the 15% city and 85% hwy. I would think we would be good for 7500 miles like that. From what I have heard this is a good engine but it does tend to shear the oil. I am thinking it would be best to do an analysis on it.

So that leads to a question. Or car only has 6200 miles on it now, how many miles should one put on an engine before it would be good to take a sample? I would think one should wait 10,000 or more to make sure it is broke in all the way.

Also would it be best to wait till the 3rd oil change before sampling? I say this because I don't want to waste money.

If your simply looking for Viscosity Retention and TBN then no need to wait. Just run the M1 for 7500 miles and sample. Yes Metals will be a little high but so what?

I usually do 3 changes with the last at 10,000 and then sample the 4th run from 10,000 miles to desired OCI.

Well I decided to go PYB for the first oil change with a Pureone filter. And then my neighbor sees me changing the oil and ask why I didn't let our local nissan dealer do it for $9.00 that's right $9.00. We both purchased our vehicles from the same dealer. The catch is you have to have the dealer's plastic advertisement on your front bumper which just states i got my car from XYZ dealer. i called the service dept. and the guy says they use MC 5000 as bulk fill. The oil filter looks pretty good, with a solid feel to it. The rubber inside was black and not silicone.i may have to relegate the altima to the dealer for oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back