John Deere EZtrak Z225

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello

I have a John Deer EZ225 mower with the Brigg’s 18.5 horse engine. I’m currently running John Deere 10w-30, and was wondering what kind of oil you like for this engine, as I would like to switch it out?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
Yodash89

Nice mower! The JD engine oil is designed for small air cooled OPE which is great. As an alternative, any heavy-duty engine oil such as Shell Rotella, Mobil Delvac, Chevron Delo, Amsoil, etc in a 30wt or 40wt range would be great in your 18.5hp. I'd go with a 15w40 or 5w40 just to keep it simple (and easily avail).

z225_495388_large.jpg

Joel

My briggs 20HP V-twin does extremely well on Royal Purple 10W-30 SL or GC 0W-30.

Just don't use an SM rated oil.

Briggs says not to extend even with synthetic oil. I have sent in a few samples and after 25 hrs found good synthetic's to shear down one full grade. I have to agree with them. 25 hrs and out.

0w-30 GC from Autozone is perfect...a heavy 30wt or light 40wt.

Last edited:
I was thinking of running Rotella T-6? I can’t find German Castrol in my neck of the woods, and trust me I have looked! I think it need upgraded to HD oil. Also what kind of filter do you guys like on this engine; currently it’s just running a JD filter.

Thanks,
Yodash89

If you go to 30 Rotella stay with single grade, not the 10W-30 unless you plan to use it in the winter. Rotella 10W-30 is the only Rotella that does not have JASO-MA rating. I would think twice about using it in an air cooled engine in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back