What oil for Kohler command v twin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found that swiching oil brands made my ticking lifter go 99% away in my 15hp Kohler Command single. Knock on wood, I've had 10 years and 320 trouble-free hours with this engine. It's just a great engine!

Originally Posted By: daddi
Wanted to see what everyone is running in their command v twins. I have a 22 horse. I often get loud, annoying lifter rattle, hot, cold, doesn't matter. Engine runs good otherwise. I believe I have Rotella 15w40 in their now. Thinking about HDEO 10w30 as Kohler recommends 10w30. Any favorite's for this engine?? Tom

I use the Delo 400 SAE 30wt on a 23hp Kohler Command close to 1,000 hours. Oil and oil filter is changed every 100 hours. The oil looks good to tell the truth could go longer but long term engine cleanliness is desired. Recommended per manual to change the oil out every 100 hours. Engine runs like new.

I feel the 30wt is about right in my application. There is no need for a 40wt the 30wt does fine. I'll take a SAE30wt over a 10w-30 any day ... no cold starts here 60F-88F.

Originally Posted By: motorcity
My Kohler 27hp Courage is clicking with Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. Should I try Rotella 30wt?

Try it. Keep in mind the only major difference between the Command and Courage twins is the Courage series does not have hydraulic lash adjusters. They use flat tappets and jamb-nut lash adjusters. FWIW, I've got Delvac 15w40 in the Courage 20 twin on my new Z-Force mower. Cub actually recommends 15w40 for this engine in this application.

Joel

My Briggs 20 HP V-Twin doing very well.

Either Castrol 0W-30 SL or Royal Purple 10W-30 SL.

Don't use a SM oil.

I run rotella T6 in all of our small commercial engines which includes the 25hp kohler command on our 60" Gravely mower. Works like a champ along with purolator pureone filters.

Hello all,

I came to the forum because I just bought a used Cub Cadet GT2550 with a 22hp Kohler Command engine and needed to know what oil. I am unsure what the previous owner used but there's 230 hours on the engine and I am going to go with the Rotella T6 my only concern is that the manual specs 10W30 and the T6 is 5W40 but since I live in Florida I think I am probably worried about nothing.

Any comments?

Thanks!
John

Try Rotella T5 (or Delo XLE) 10w30 if you prefer to stay with the weight of oil that was recommended. You can also get the Kohler 10w30 oil at Tractor Supply or a lot of places that sell mowers for around the same price (~$5).

As you said, you're fine with the T6 as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back