3100 with the common lifter tick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 5,000 miles on the car and am ready for an oil change. I changed it 4,000 miles ago with M1 10W30 and at 2,000 miles into that oil changed I drained a qt. out and put MMO in. It hasnt helped at all. So I was wondering what I should try next? My thoughts are maybe a heavy oil like 15W40 HDEO or would a lighter oil like 0W30 be better?

I was thinking I would use straight oil first and at 2,000 miles put a qt. of MMO in.

Is it lifter tick or a noisy fuel injector? if the car runs fine, i would only worry if it gets louder or suddenly goes away.

Its the usual noise these engines make on a cold start up. It goes away in about 2 minutes. Pretty sure its lifter tick, it will sometimes go away within 20 seconds almost instantly but usually has to get to operating temp before it goes away.

What about changing oil filters? What are you using now? Try one that is known for higher flow like a K&N.

I'ts a lifter tick,common on these engines,they collapse some wile sitting not running the real fix is pull the top and replace lifters been there done that many times,you could try running a can or B-12 it may help.

or live with the tick doesn't hurt anything.

If the noise is there when the car is cold, and goes away when it warms up, it's most likely 'piston slap', and not a lifter tick.

Piston slap can sometimes be cured by using heavier oil, bit not always. Trying a 15W-40 won't hurt anything, so I'd give it a go!

If the noise doesn't go way, it doesn't matter - it will not shorten engine life at all.

Oil won't decrease clearances [which cause slapping and ticking].
MMO would tend to clean and INCREASE clearances, if there is a mechanical problem of this type.
Guess what you have to do?

The 3100 slap info is all over the web. Just drive it and ignore the first minute or two of racket. I'll be its still slapping at 200K

Originally Posted By: 951Indy
The 3100 slap info is all over the web. Just drive it and ignore the first minute or two of racket. I'll be its still slapping at 200K

It will be for sure. My Cutlass has 240K and it still does it. It's the nature of the engine.

I am using wix filters. I am thinking it isnt piston slap which seems to be the common problem of these engines since it has a tack, tack, tack sound, plus it has gone away almost instantly at 2500 to 3000 rpm which makes me think it is a hyd. lifter finally pumping up. Also when I look in the oil fill hole the noise is in timing with the valves, if it was piston spla I would think it would be going twice as fast since the pistons go twice as fast as the valves. I am not worried that the car will make 200k, just trying to see if I can do anything.

Danman, what is involved in replacing the lifters? Intake manifold need to come off? Do I need to replace all the lifters or can you tell which one is making the problem?
Thanks

Originally Posted By: countryboy9799

Danman, what is involved in replacing the lifters? Intake manifold need to come off? Do I need to replace all the lifters or can you tell which one is making the problem?
Thanks

If your going in you do them all,and yes upper and lower comes off witch is a fairly easy task just stuff to unhook and move to the side then getting at the bolts.

That ticking is probably piston slap, in which case the engine will die of something else (lower intake manifold gasket, head gasket, etc.) before that will do any noticable damage.

My grandparents own a Buick Century with the 3100 in it (what a turd of and engine/trans combo...) and it sounds EXACTLY like lifter tick until the engine warms up.

GM says it's harmless. I doubt it's COMPLETELY harmless, but a lot of engines have gone a lot of miles with piston slap.

Its the usual noise these engines make on a cold start up. It goes away in about 2 minutes. Pretty sure its lifter tick, it will sometimes go away within 20 seconds almost instantly but usually has to get to operating temp before it goes away.

Could be the typical 3100 piston slap, too. I've heard accounts of both, but piston slap more commonly. I've tried many different 30-grades in the 3100 I maintain and nothing has helped it.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Could be the typical 3100 piston slap, too. I've heard accounts of both, but piston slap more commonly. I've tried many different 30-grades in the 3100 I maintain and nothing has helped it.

Hey Third,how does your car like the M1 0W40 compared to all the others you`ve tried? I`ve come close to trying it a few times,but end up getting the 15W50 when I get in the M1 mood.

Sorry for the thread resurrection but instead of cluttering up the board with a new one;

I have the same motor and what I believe is the same noise. How could I determine if it's lifter noise or piston slap? It seems like it would be twice as fast if it were a piston but I am not sure.

http://youtu.be/fhJtlzRE268

It isn't as loud when it's warm but it doesn't go away completely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1990LTD

http://youtu.be/fhJtlzRE268

Yep, that's most definitely lifter click. There's an oil hole on the side of the lifter where oil is supposed to enter in to pump up the lifter for maintaining zero clearance between the - camshaft lobe, lifter, pushrod, and rocker arm. You got a piece of crud blocking that oil hole. The fastest way to knock that crud loose is to pour a pint of gasoline into the oil. I know it's a drastic measure, but it works. Most of the gasoline evaporates out of the oil through the PVC system after a couple of minutes and the oil will thicken back up.

I've tried Seafoam but I know just how highly regarded it is here
laugh.gif
Didn't make a difference. It's been noisy like this for a long time.

Have never heard of running gasoline in there, though. I am not opposed to the idea, just haven't heard of it. If it would keep me from tearing it down to install new lifters I'd be happy.

Yes, gasoline is not good for the oil, which is not good for the engine, but a collapsed
lifter will eventually destroy your camshaft lobe; so you gotta pick the lesser of two evils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back