Synthetic oil ; cause seals to leak ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it possible that a 5w-30 syn oil or other lighter synthetic oils could cause a timing chain cover seal to leak in a fairly new car ?

Last edited:
No a 5W-30 synthetic or other viscoity synthetic oil should not cause any problems. However, I will say that Im not a certified technician or mechanic so you might want to check with Johnny and his hommies to see what they said.

New car? no.. Some people would say its' caused leaks to form on older cars though. I started my car on synthetic fairly close to 100k miles and after almost 3,000km into the oil change I have no sign of leaks or drips or anything.

Originally Posted By: odie
is it possible that a 5w-30 syn oil or other lighter synthetic oils could cause a timing chain cover seal to leak in a fairly new car ?

Can you elaborate on the phrase "fairly new car?" Is the vehicle still under a factory warranty?

They are not supposed to , but synth oils have caused leaks in seals and gaskets in the past.
This is not a matter of 'gunk' being cleaned off of a false seal, although that has happened..
I have seen all sorts of evidence in the shop when people changed to full synth.

It seems things are much better now in this respect.

actually it's 2 new cars . A 2010 ( 6,500 + miles ) and 2008 TOYOTA Yaris with 21,000 + miles . Looks like it's coming from the upper back seal of the timing chain cover . Started using 5w-30 syns in both at around 1,200 miles . Have looked at a few other YARIS and no leaks . They are a 2007 3 door with 18,000 + miles and a 2010 3 door that belongs to someone we know at 30,000 miles . Both were dry as a bone . Both are using conventional motor oil .

A simple test would be to try some conventional oil, and see if the leak stops.

I thought syn was causing leakage in my wife's PT, turns out to have been a bad gasket (was replaced under warranty). My truck had a steady diet of Mobil 1 since new (1992), and the engine is bone dry. Since it's not being driven much now (around 2k p/yr), I've decided to use a blend (Rotella T5). Might even go with straight dino next time. The '92 Ford Explorer we had was a leaker. It started leaking oil just as the warranty expired! We used syn in that vehicle.

My take on this subject is any leakage is caused by the quality (or lack thereof) of the engine components, not the oil.

yup , they're the new G.M. . Got to big for their britches . They're are issues for YARIS in EUROPE with timing chain cover leaks . Seems like since the warmer weather the leaks have got more steady . Very disappointed in TOYOTA .

we have pictures of the leaks . May try to post them here . Thanks for input . Keep it coming .

odie, I am highly doubtful that the oil caused your leak.

In the "olden" days, like 35 years ago, original formulations of the first synthetic oils DID have some seal issues, but those problems were corrected LONG ago.

Yaris has a problem with the timing chain seal, nothing wrong with the oil. If it's under warranty get the dealer to fix it. If not, just run it as it's just a very slow minor leak and won't harm anything if you keep it topped up.

Last edited:
No, not if the car was properly maintained. I'm running synthetic oil and have been since 5.5K on the odometer (now at 52,800) with no leaks or oil consumption. Gaskets will still wear out over time regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back