Honda Warranty Issues 5-20 vs 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I'm a newbie to the site and have been reading and becoming obsessed! I went to a shop the other day to get my first oil change from FF at 3453mi. (OLM) 50% on a 2010 Civic Sedan, which specifies 5-20. Getting to the point they only had PYB 5-30. I asked and he said no problems with warranty, so I got it. Mistake? I Do have the hot FL summer kickin in. Was this guy Honest with me. Am I gonna have probs if there were to be an engine failure. Thanks In Advance. BTW: About 70/30 Highway/city respectively.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I Do have the hot FL summer kickin in. Was this guy Honest with me. Am I gonna have probs if there were to be an engine failure. Thanks In Advance. BTW: About 70/30 Highway/city respectively.

Right! if you use 5W30 of any kind, it's gonna Kaboom!

33.gif

First off, relax. It's a Honda.

You'll get every kind of response from telling you to not only change the oil out ASAP ..AND washing your mouth out with soap and water ..genuflecting and confessionals included ...(you get the idea).

You'll experience no issues with 5w-30 in there. Take your own oil next time ..or not.

..and read up on Honda ZEN. You should be smiling while driving it ..and that's about it.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
C'mon u bein serious? Or Sarcastic because I'm a newbie.

He is joking, since you live in Florida, you will be fine, most 5W-30's shear down to a 5W-20
21.gif

Don't worry, you can use vegetable oil in a Honda engine without problems. But it is best to use recommended weight for warranty.

I take homeboy Quest is just being sarcastic and trying to be funny tonight which is just not cutting it at all lol. Anyway, the 5W-30 in your Honda Civic will not cause any damage or void the warranty at all. Honda are very easy on any type of motor oil brands you purchase. Next time, go back to the recommended 5W-20 and you will not woid the warranty. Welcome to the BITOG family. We hope to hear more from you soon !

Sam

OK where is warranty geek squad? Technically you can have warranty problems for not using the correct viscosity. In reality that 5W-30 is now already a 5W-20. Don't sweat it.

I ran Amsoil 0w30 in my Civic for around 50k and it's still going at 224k (well, being fixed due to a $50 tensioner breaking and causing a $2k+ problem that I am getting fixed for free). Head was apparently spotless when removed.

Here's my suggestion for anyone who is concerned about keeping the warranty people happy. No fuss, pretty simple actually!

Use a mfg approved oil, in the mfg suggested viscosity, and change it at mfg suggested intervals, and sleep well at night.

Now if you don't worry, or feel there is something better than the mfg suggests, and are willing to fight "if need be", then use whatever you like.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
OK where is warranty geek squad? Technically you can have warranty problems for not using the correct viscosity. In reality that 5W-30 is now already a 5W-20. Don't sweat it.

Chubbs,
If you not sure what Pablo means by "In reality that 5W-30 is now already a 5W-20", you'll learn soon enough as c3po also mentioned about shearing. Is this your first HONDA? I have had several and I've run them on 5W20, 5W30 & 10W30 without issues. I even put in 5W20 into a 1988 Accord during it's last years with us(owned it 18yrs/340,000 miles). Ran the same as on any oil. My neice uses 5W30 in her Civic that calls for 5W20. Im using 5W30 in my daughters Mazda3 that requires 5W20.

As far as the law goes, if (somehow) your engine does break while it has 5W-30 in it, they have to prove that it was caused by the oil if they're going to deny a warranty claim on that basis.

That said, there's absolutely no reason a 5W-30 would harm your engine.

Thank you all for the great info, I am going to read up on the Mag-Moss Act and Going to start doin my own oil changes from now on Thank you guys again!

I don't know if it's any different for the 2010 but my 2002 manual states "if 5w20 is not available, a 5w30 may be use" Which is exactly what you are doing so I don't see how the warrenty can be void.

Warranty is fine. I would have left the FF in until 15% or less on the MM, though.

PYB is excellent oil but I would switch to a 5w20 next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back