Torque wrench advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a little job to perform on my lexus that requires me removing a no10 bolt. I can't get it off with a regular wrench so was thinking of buying a ratchet wrench and socket set. The sockets would need to be quite thin for this particular bolt.

I then thought that if I am going to buy something, why not look at a torque wrench. The reasoning being that Lexus recommend hand torquing the wheels 500 miles or so after a balancing.

Overall I think I would begin using the set over my existing wrenches just because it seems to be easier and faster, so I think it is a good buy for the longer term.

Could anybody advise me on some good sets that are out there and where I could get a good deal?

Thanks

I like your logic of progression of tools.

Thinwall deep sockets are quite handy and for some reason I use them when a shallow socket will do.

You can get a decent set of stanley sockets at walmart or "task force" from lowes, 10-19mm for $20. Before you think they're cheap junk, I did a clutch job yesterday and didn't break any sockets or round off anything.

Every DIY mechanic should have a torque wrench, even if it's a $20 Cal-Hawk one from Harbor Freight. :)

At the least, you'll have your lug nuts torqued EVENLY (maybe not ACCURATELY).

Are you saying that you would use the torque wrench to REMOVE the bolt? Also, would you use the torque wrench in place of the ratchet for most uses?

I would personally never use the torque wrench to remove a bolt/nut as most are not designed for removal. You will probably destroy the torque mechanism inside the wrench at worst, and at best put the wrench way out of calibration. If you buy a torque wrench specifically designed for bolt/nut removal, then you might be okay, but they're the exception in most tool shops.

The Pittsburgh line of sockets, ratchets and wrenches at HF are very good too, high quality for a home mechanic. I bought a set of their long handle polished wrenches, metric and standard about 5 years ago, and they are still in excellent shape and have not had any tool-related problems with them either. The only issue was they don't make a long-handled 13mm wrench for some reason.

The pear-head Pittsburgh ratchets at HF seem to be every bit just as good a quality as Craftsman, Kobalt, etc. HF also sells a low-priced torque wrench that would probably do just fine for occasional use at home.

HF here in Orlando is having a 3 day sidewalk sale this weekend. Maybe yours is too. There are sure to be some good deals to be had there. HF has the best prices on "cheap" tools but you have to be careful what you buy there. For hand tools like sockets and ratchets, HF tools would be fine for a home mechanic's use.

I am assuming it won't come off because you can't get enough leverage on it. You can try taking the handle off of your floor jack (if its a heavier duty kind) and slipping it over the wrench and trying to remove it like that. That makes the handle "longer" and will give you more leverage to break the bolt loose... Or you can invest in a breaker bar for the cumbersome bolts like the one you are having trouble with now.

Originally Posted By: lyle
Are you saying that you would use the torque wrench to REMOVE the bolt? Also, would you use the torque wrench in place of the ratchet for most uses?

I would personally never use the torque wrench to remove a bolt/nut as most are not designed for removal. You will probably destroy the torque mechanism inside the wrench at worst, and at best put the wrench way out of calibration. If you buy a torque wrench specifically designed for bolt/nut removal, then you might be okay, but they're the exception in most tool shops.

No I was saying that I was thinking of buying a set that could handle these current needs as well as future requirements. Usually a set works out to be far cheaper plus you get a nice case to keep everything nice and tidy.

So I was looking for a ratchet set that could be used for simple removals and tightenings where torque didn't matter, plus ideally a torque wrench in that set. I get the concept of the ratchet and sockets but am not so familiar with the torque wrench use cases apart from the fact that I know the wheel lugs should be hand torqued

Originally Posted By: dahonam
I am assuming it won't come off because you can't get enough leverage on it. You can try taking the handle off of your floor jack (if its a heavier duty kind) and slipping it over the wrench and trying to remove it like that. That makes the handle "longer" and will give you more leverage to break the bolt loose... Or you can invest in a breaker bar for the cumbersome bolts like the one you are having trouble with now.

The reason I was after thin sockets is because I'm trying to access the bolt on the first picture here:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls430/479244-pics-of-smog-sensor-cleaning.html

Yeah, for that you would need a socket and a ratchet, OR a ratcheting wrench...
Wal-Mart has a Stanley tool set for a cheap price Stanley

Last edited:
Ok, so ratchet and socket set either Stanley from Walmart of Task Force from Lowes.

How about the torque wrench? Excuse my ignorance but

1) Do ratchet and socket sets ever come with a torque wrench. Just like the idea of having a set to keep things together and save money
2) I presume the sockets will fit the torque wrench going forward
3) Any other suggestions for brand and where to buy the torque wrench either as part of a set or seperately if that is how they come

Originally Posted By: rjacket
Originally Posted By: lyle

... from the fact that I know the wheel lugs should be hand torqued

Not just wheels. Any time you can get a torque specification for any fastener, use the appropriate torque wrench.

For the longest time I would get warped brake rotors on my truck, but I picked up a cheap 150 ft-lb torque wrench and once I put on a new set of rotors, I stopped warping them.

Heat + vibration + lateral force = warping.

Originally Posted By: dahonam
Yeah, for that you would need a socket and a ratchet, OR a ratcheting wrench...
Wal-Mart has a Stanley tool set for a cheap price Stanley

Thanks. I have a lot of wrenches and drill bits and screwdriver bits already. Just need the ratchet and socket set which I can see on the website also.

Ideally someone would sell a set with a decent torque wrench in it also.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
The Pittsburgh line of sockets, ratchets and wrenches at HF are very good too, high quality for a home mechanic. I bought a set of their long handle polished wrenches, metric and standard about 5 years ago, and they are still in excellent shape and have not had any tool-related problems with them either. The only issue was they don't make a long-handled 13mm wrench for some reason.

The pear-head Pittsburgh ratchets at HF seem to be every bit just as good a quality as Craftsman, Kobalt, etc. HF also sells a low-priced torque wrench that would probably do just fine for occasional use at home.

HF here in Orlando is having a 3 day sidewalk sale this weekend. Maybe yours is too. There are sure to be some good deals to be had there. HF has the best prices on "cheap" tools but you have to be careful what you buy there. For hand tools like sockets and ratchets, HF tools would be fine for a home mechanic's use.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering what HF was which goes to show there are not that many in California or at least were I live. Nothing really convenient for me. If I had known last weekend, I could have dropped into one near a party that I went to.

Ok, so ratchet and socket set either Stanley from Walmart of Task Force from Lowes.

How about the torque wrench? Excuse my ignorance but

1) Do ratchet and socket sets ever come with a torque wrench. Just like the idea of having a set to keep things together and save money
2) I presume the sockets will fit the torque wrench going forward
3) Any other suggestions for brand and where to buy the torque wrench either as part of a set or seperately if that is how they come

1. I haven't seen socket sets come with a torque wrench
2. Generally, torque wrenches come in 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4". As long as you have the correct sockets, they will fit the torque wrench. I use one of these for wheels along with my torque wrench
3. Sears for a good one, Harbor Freight for a [censored] one (they have it on sale this week for $9.99 for a 1/2")

Last edited:
Thanks

So I think I'll buy the ratchet and socket set first and buy the torque wrench later.

2 questions:

1) On the ratchet and socket set, what range of sizes should I look for that will cover the majority of my future requirements?

2) I like the idea of attaching sockets to my drill / electric screwdriver eg for fast removal / tightening of bolts elsewhere. Do you know if any sort of adaptor or socket set does such a thing?

Thanks to everyone for the advice and clarification

Thanks

So I think I'll buy the ratchet and socket set first and buy the torque wrench later.

2 questions:

1) On the ratchet and socket set, what range of sizes should I look for that will cover the majority of my future requirements?

2) I like the idea of attaching sockets to my drill / electric screwdriver eg for fast removal / tightening of bolts elsewhere. Do you know if any sort of adaptor or socket set does such a thing?

Thanks to everyone for the advice and clarification

1. Find the biggest socket tool set in your price range that doesn't have all the extra stuff that you need. That should have a wide range of different sizes and such.

2. This is what your looking for

Thanks. I think I have that adaptor already.

I'll go take a look at Stanley and Taskforce. Taskforce looks like it has a better handle. I also like the idea of laser etching of sizes which they both have.

Sears sells a nice beam type torque wrench with the lifetime warranty for 29 bucks.

I find that most cars you will want sizes up to 22mm for metric and

and up to 1 1/2 for standard. a nice deep socket set at the same sizes will generally be hand to have too.

Care full using the drill, start the bolt first with your fingers so you do not cross thread anything. I suggest getting a tap set. I accidentally cross threaded the threads on my focus' tranny, I just ran the same size thread tap through it and it fixed the problem, and I re-used the original bolt.

Thanks to all the advice, I dropped into Lowes and got the Task Force 75 piece set for $20:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_96695-1074-81075_4294857647+4294837359+4294965329_4294937087?catalogId=10051&productId=1114917&Ne=4294937087&currentURL=%2Fpl_Task%2BForce_4294857647+4294837359+4294965329_4294937087_&identifier=Task+Force&N=4294857647+4294837359+4294965329&langId=-1&Ns=p_product_price%7C0&storeId=10151&ddkey=http:CategoryDisplay

Seems to have pretty much everything I'll ever need. The screwdriver in it is not the ratchet type and the handles have no grips compared to some of the others.

The 1/4 inch driver seems to hold the sockets a bit loosely. So I am considering whether I need to go back and do an exchange.

I am tempted to buy the following set for $28 instead as it has the soft grip handle:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_266846-87494-81053_0_?productId=3099777&Ntt=task%20force%20socket&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=task%20force%20socket

The screwdriver in the second set is junk. The ratchet mechanism can't hold any torque at all, and breaks. I found that out the hard way.

Otherwise a nice set. The first set does have more sockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back