MMO - 6.0L Diesel injectors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I put some Hot Shot Secret in my oil to take care of a couple of injectors in my F250 6.0L Powerstroke that had developed "stiction" problems. HSS is all the rave among the 6.0L crowd to resolve this problem. I *thought* it worked because over the course of a month or so the cold start up problems went away, it idled better before complete warmup, etc.

Well, winter came again and the problems showed up again, so it was apparent HHS didn't do anything, but instead warmer weather helped. Once the vehicle has been running about 15-20 minutes its fine, the stiction happens only when cold. It's been happening even now, in the spring/summer, but I've lived with it by letting the truck idle for 10-15 minutes the first start of a day.

I finally got to the point where I decided I was tired of waiting in the mornings, and I also know this coming winter its going to be a [censored] to start if I don't take care of the injectors. I decided I would get the sticking injectors changed at my next OCI (about 2500 miles from now). I decided what the heck, I'll try some MMO in the crank case to see if that'll take care of it (stiction is caused by oil caking in the injectors, they are fired by oil pressure). I had nothing to lose since I planned to change the injectors, other than $5 for a can of MMO.

Put MMO in the crankcase and drove about 50 miles that day. The next morning it *seemed* to start easier and idle better but I wanted to give it some time to rule out the placebo effect. Well, sure enough, over the course of a week and a 1000 mile road trip the startup is significantly better. The stiction goes away in about 30-60 seconds (ie, all cylinders firing fully) and its fully ready to drive off in about 3-4 minutes.

So my plan is to add MMO again at my next oil change and run it for a full OCI. If the problem is near 100% solved with that I'll pay for injector replacement but so far so good.

I've used MMO in the past in sludged engines, even used it on an engine with stuck rings (hadn't been started in years) and it worked so I gave it a shot in the 6.0L and I'm impressed.

I'm not up to date on the Ford Diesels, 6.0 etc.. however I do know especially in a diesel, and pretty much any engine that idling on cold start (even summer) is horrible, and a diesel will not have nearly a clean combustion until operating temp is reached due to the piston having to compress the air to a much higher atmospheric pressure to reach combustion. I suggest driving within 3 minutes of startup, nice and easy... not like grandma mind you as you want a load on the engine to help bring it to operating temp as soon as possible. I owned a Cummins Turbo Diesel Dodge .. nice truck. It had a good idle when cold, also when really cold it would drop back into 3 cylinder warmup mode which sounded horrible.

What your experiencing may be completely normal. There may be a fuel heater running, the incomplete combustion, and electronic controls causing what you hear as a stiction. Also can you link a video or such so we can hear what your talking about, injectors tend to be loud noisy things even on gasoline engines when cold (cold even in hot summer cold start)

The 6.0 PSD are known for bad injectors. My buddy just replaced all 8 injectors and installed an EGR Deleation kit. The engine now runs the way it's supposed to. Too many thing gone wrong with that 6.0. Fuel pump regulator, injectors, EGR etc. Although, they have their following of people. My brother-in-law(a diesel mechanic) knows these very well. The company work trucks are 6.0 PSD and he's working on them all of the time trying to get them to run right. Often he just disconnects the EGR after replacing the injectors($1600.00)+ core. I can't speak about them cause I don't really know them. What I do know, is that when their running the way their suppose to, their animals! Strong! Pull a house off of it's foundation! And when their not, they're hard to start, smoke up a storm when they do and hesitate like crazy until they get really warmed up.

Actually, as the second reply stated, its a problem, not just a normal diesel issue. Ford had some TSB's on it. The 6.0L had a problem with oil caking up in the injectors. They would stick due to friction (hence Ford's use of the word "stiction"). So when cold, not only would you have the normal cold start issues all diesels have, but it would not be firing on all cylinders. The engine could barely idle because of this. As the injectors heated up the expansion of the outer injector casing would unfreeze the stiction issue and the injector would start firing.

For instance, I believe 3 of 8 of my injectors had this problem. So instead of:
clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack,

.... it would do this until warm:

clack, clack, clack, pause, pause, clack, clack, pause

Power would be so bad you literally could not get it to go 20 mph until it was completely warmed up --- and this includes 90+ summer weather... the oil temps had to get to operating temperature. In the winter at 50 degrees it was a [censored] to get it idle! It would operate like a "normal" deisel would at 20 degrees. Ford trucks, well, that's pretty much been my career for the past 12 years and I've driven numerous 6.0L diesels. None of them in "normal" condition have this issue, only after stiction develops does it occur. This is one of the reasons why cool down timers with the 6.0L are good to have. I always let the truck idle for a minute or so to help cool it down after a drive, but unfortunately I bought the truck used and it doesn't appear the previous owner did that.

Last edited:
the 6.0 injectors are oil dependant to operate, a high quality CI or better oil is required within oci in manual. i'm on my 2nd 6.0 with no issues.
never heard of mmo fixing stiction, it might.
if it were me i would try a 5w-40 or a 10w-30 to see if it takes care of the problem first, i'm not a believer in aftermarket oil additives.

what oil are you running now?

I run Ford Motorcraft "Super Duty" diesel 15w/40 oil in it.

Last edited:
For instance, I believe 3 of 8 of my injectors had this problem. So instead of:
clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack, clack,

.... it would do this until warm:

clack, clack, clack, pause, pause, clack, clack, pause

Yeah, your not kidding! When it was cold out, the "clack, clack, clack" was more like "SMACK, SMACK, SMACK"! And stink!
I don't mind the smell of diesel but this was in your face. If someone was behind the truck when it was started, they would look like a chimney sweep.

A lot of times people overlook changing the oil in the HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump). I know it's located on the top of the engine towards the front on the 7.3L Powerstroke.

Take a look at this video and it shows the procedures of changing out the oil in the HPOP. It may help alleviate some of the cold starting issues because there will be fresh oil in the HPOP which feeds the injectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A3H17qhcUQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back