Finding the right oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure if I should start to change my oil type and change it more often as my miles rack up.
Using Castrol Syntec 20W-50, and sometimes Wolf's Head 20W-50 Semi Synthetic.
87' Mercedes 300D (diesel turbo)
210,000 Miles
Daily commute approx. 45 miles round trip.
Back road driving 15%, Highway 60%, City 25%
Never heavey throttle untill warmed up.
Never take it above 3,000 rpm. I drive sloooooooowwwwwwww on take off.
Im the second owner, my grandpa was the first, he bought it new. Would like to keep it as long as possible.

Last edited:
Sorry just edited...
Using Castrol Syntec 20W-50, and sometimes Wolf's Head 20W-50 Semi Synthetic.
3000-4000 miles

I have no blow by when I pull the oil cap when running...

In a diesel, Id use a 15w40. No 20w50, although a stout oil, was designed for diesel engines. There is alot more soot and issues to deal with a gas oil never see's. Go with a diesel oil in a diesel.

Back when I drove 240Ds, I didn't really understand the desirability of using a diesel oil.
I do now.
Surely nothing soot-loads the oil like one of these old Mercedes.
The oil would come out jet black on 3K drains, and had a very distictive aroma.
Anyway, the OP has a great car that should run for many miles to come.
I don't think there is much alternative to a slow launch in a diesel Benz.
Does that year still have the classic four speed auto?
Is it still set up to start in second gear unless you either select first with the shifter, or force a kickdown with the loud pedal?

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
In a diesel, Id use a 15w40. No 20w50, although a stout oil, was designed for diesel engines. There is alot more soot and issues to deal with a gas oil never see's. Go with a diesel oil in a diesel.

I checked, Castrol 20w50 is ACEA B3 and B4, as well as CF/CD. CF/CD is probably enough for that era diesel, and B3 and B4 are much newer than it.

15w40 is better overall though.

I used a 20w50 oil for many many years in my previous car, little realizing how foolish that was. Had I known as much about oil then as now, I might have run a synthetic 0w40 or maybe even a 30-weight. (It was not a diesel)

For any diesel sold in North America, I would run either a conventional 15w40 or a synthetic 5w40.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
I used a 20w50 oil for many many years in my previous car, little realizing how foolish that was. Had I known as much about oil then as now, I might have run a synthetic 0w40 or maybe even a 30-weight. (It was not a diesel)

I don't know much about oils so can you please tell me why using 20W50 oil was so foolish? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Tanya
Originally Posted By: Tornado Red

I don't know much about oils so can you please tell me why using 20W50 oil was so foolish? Thanks

I thought such a viscous oil would be necessary for long engine life. It's true that I put 292k miles on it before the rest of the car went to the crusher, but a lighter oil would have done just as well and I could have gotten better fuel economy. I was in a warm climate, at least -- a 20w50 would not have worked at all in a colder climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back