benefits of 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amen. Last I recall, someone actually placed some type of audio meter and found no difference. Of course he was instantly criticized by all the armchair audiologists out there.
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Originally posted by Dominik:
A lot of engines will run a bit quieter on say one type of 10W-30 oil a opposed to onother 10W-30 this fact is well documented here on this forum...

The only FACT that's well documented here is that SOME people perceive a difference, NOT that it is actually quieter. Further, it has yet to be established that this perceived difference in any way effects the wear in an engine.

A lot of engines will run a bit quieter on say one type of 10W-30 oil a opposed to onother 10W-30 this fact is well documented here on this forum now running an oil that is much thicker like 20W-50 or HDEO 15W-40 might even heighten such an auditory experience, this fact has also been well documented on this forum.
Like I said the thin crowd has got me in their cross hairs already.
Anyone from OZ please like help and stuff
spaz.gif

i have the same engine. this mitsxubishi 2.5 v6 engine is prone to hydraulic lash adjusters sticking and making noise. while this doesnt really hurt anything it does take away from the power and fuel economy, because its effectively lowering the total valve lift and duration of each valve thats effected. not to mention the consant ticking noise.

i personally run a 15w40 diesel oil in my 2.5 v6. i would suggest you also run a diesel oil to help keep those lash adjusters operating freely. if you are uneasy about the 15w, grab some rotella 5w40 from walmart for $12 a gallon. its good stuff too.

you could probably run the 5w40 in the winter, 15w40 in the summer.

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:
.......I think McDonalds is doing us more harm than RJReynolds. We should have a "fast food sin tax".
patriot.gif
[/QB]

Great, a food Nazi. Kinda ironic with the flag waving a saluting symbol but you advocate taking away freedom of choice.

Hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
i have the same engine. this mitsxubishi 2.5 v6 engine is prone to hydraulic lash adjusters sticking and making noise...

If this engine is really prone to this, thick diesel oil isn't the best solution. A good cleaning with AutoRX, followed by the manufacturer's recommended viscosity grade/OCI in the latest service category would be best.

diesel oil has worked for me. when i got the car it has atleast 1 stuck lifter. after a few thousand on diesel oil the ticking went away.

also on dodge/mitsubishi forums, its a common thing to use diesel oil to prevent this.

its even more common to just remove the upper intake manifold and the 2 valve covers and replace the lifters. shouldnt cost more than $50 in parts and 1 hour of labour. the nature of this 2.5 over head cam v6 means that you only need to remove the rocker arms to replace lifters. its a simple job, but just running diesel oil is even cheaper/more simple.

and what dodge/mitsubishi sites recommend this? does using that oil quiet the lifters as well as unstick them?

15w40 is probably too thick for winter use. I would think the Maxlife is fine for your application. I would be inclined to add a bottle of CD2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost (Big Lots $1.99, pink bottle) and run it 4000 to 5000 miles.

Could run 15w40 summer and Maxlife 10w30 winter, though.

Now if you really want the ultimiate oil for keeping everything clean, heat resistance, and longer OCI, try Redline, but not if you have any oil leaks.

quote:

Originally posted by Master ACiD:
diesel oil has worked for me. when i got the car it has atleast 1 stuck lifter. after a few thousand on diesel oil the ticking went away.

also on dodge/mitsubishi forums, its a common thing to use diesel oil to prevent this.

There's nothing special in HDEOs (diesel oil) that is going to clean anything. It's forte is to keep contaminants (especially soot) in suspension. Ask anyone who has tried to clean up sludged engine using HDEOs. AutoRX is the best at cleaning engine internals safely. If you don't want to use AutoRX, you can always pull the lifters and use the Mitsubishi recommended procedure for cleaning the lifters (lash adjusters).

If anything, the thick HDEOs may be masking leaky lifters (lash adjusters).

Originally posted by BrianWC:
[QB] Amen. Last I recall, someone actually placed some type of audio meter and found no difference. Of course he was instantly criticized by all the armchair audiologists out there.
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif

Geez read my post again if you can't detect more start up noisse with heavy oil as opposed that light stuff then I respect your point of view.
And get that audiologist to calibrate his equipment.
Must you guys use every opportunity to further you thinner is better agenda.

quote:

Since you're recommending something other than what's recommended by the manufactuer, I believe the shoe is on the other foot.

Dude get a clue. I was just pointing out no one has objectively proven noise increase decrease on here. I don't use thin oil myself and do't plan on it. Seems like someone's a tad defensive.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
[QB] Amen. Last I recall, someone actually placed some type of audio meter and found no difference. Of course he was instantly criticized by all the armchair audiologists out there.
rolleyes.gif
lol.gif

Geez read my post again if you can't detect more start up noisse with heavy oil as opposed that light stuff then I respect your point of view.
And get that audiologist to calibrate his equipment.

On my 99 2.7 Intrepid w/ 73,000 miles, I would burn a quart of oil every thousand miles. I run 10w30 M1 with a PureOne filter & I have the quietest engine I've ever heard.

So I poured in a quart of 15w50 M1, and so far no oil consumption plus I haven't lost any power.

quote:

Originally posted by Intrepid:
On my 99 2.7 Intrepid w/ 73,000 miles, I would burn a quart of oil every thousand miles. I run 10w30 M1 with a PureOne filter & I have the quietest engine I've ever heard.

So I poured in a quart of 15w50 M1, and so far no oil consumption plus I haven't lost any power.

Different engine design, and the 2.5 owner hasn't mentioned excessive oil consumption.

Yes, he just asked what benefits come with it. Without major issues ...there are none ..'cept maybe for the gas station that you buy gas at
dunno.gif

Now I'll admit that I too used 20w-50 to test filters ..and did economy tests at the same time. It did absolutely quiet my HLA to dead silence in my 3.0 Mitsubishi. OTOH, it also reduced my short trip mileage to about 15 mpg ..or about 3-5 mpg off the normal fuel economy.

The stuff is a 70 weight even after it's warmed a good bit
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Hootbro:

quote:

Originally posted by hominid7:
.......I think McDonalds is doing us more harm than RJReynolds. We should have a "fast food sin tax".
patriot.gif
Great, a food Nazi. Kinda ironic with the flag waving a saluting symbol but you advocate taking away freedom of choice.

Hootbro [/QB]

Hootbro: I used to feel the same way as you but I've begun to think about it differently especially after I read that McDonalds cooks its food much healthier in certain other countries than in the home market. Here in America McD's is full of trans-fats where in many European countries the same items have none because healthier cooking oils etc...are used.
Who benefits from the American diet---the makers of Lipitor, Crestor,,blood pressure meds etc..
Who is the loser (besides the unhealthy, overweight person)---usually the taxpayers who have to pay the medical bills.
It is this thinking (finally) that is causing soda machines to be removed from most schools.
Having children all 'sugared' up isn't an ideal situation for learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back