Paint to Spray Paint Pipes With

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the stove paint OK for this? It's supposed to be good up to 1200*F.

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarestore.com/49-266-high-heat-spray-paint/stove-paint-628633.aspx

My bike has discolored pipes from the engine to the collector and I'm thinking about taking them off and sanding them a little, and then spray painting them with high heat black paint like I used to do on my GS1100E.

NewToy777.jpg

Those pipes look like Stainless. A quick hand polish job with metal polish and steel wool will make them look good.

If you really want to use paint, there is special header paint that will hold up better than stove paint.

VHT used to be a good brand but I haven't used any in over 10 years. VHT was good for something like 1400F. I think there are better products now.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Those pipes look like Stainless. A quick hand polish job with metal polish and steel wool will make them look good.

If you really want to use paint, there is special header paint that will hold up better than stove paint.

VHT used to be a good brand but I haven't used any in over 10 years. VHT was good for something like 1400F. I think there are better products now.

Thanks for the ideas. That metal polish sounds like a possibility. I'll bet the bike would look good with flat black pipes to the collector if I did a good job.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lurch

Thanks for the ideas. That metal polish sounds like a possibility. I'll bet the bike would look good with flat black pipes to the collector if I did a good job.

thumbsup2.gif

Yer welcome. I let the SS pipes on my Suzuki Bandit get pretty bad. I don't think it took over 20 minutes to clean them up and leave them a very light wheat color the first time, then less than 5 minutes once I started doing them every couple of times I washed it. Nice thing about polishing the stainless is that unlike paint it will never peal or fall off.

Good point about that. I'll probably try that first and it'll probably work out quite good.

Bandits are nice, though I never rode one. I've owned mostly Honda and Suzuki bikes. This is my 3rd Kawi, but IMHO it's probably as good as a Honda or Suzi.
thumbsup2.gif

I bought a bad Kawi CSR 650 once about 20 years ago that had a bad motor (good price - only trouble was the seller didn't tell me about the bad motor). If I had ridden it a few more miles than I did when I tried it out, I would have heard it knocking.
54.gif
That's one of those deals you'd rather forget about. :)

I wouldn't paint them. I have visions of the paint coming off and looking far worse than the pipes do now.

Personally, the colouration isn't all that bad. I actually like the colour of stainless when it's been heated.

And it still has the benefit of being stainless not the new material. And it's cheaper to leave alone.

Mine look like they have surface rust they are so dirty. If I sell it I might take them off and give them a buff.

I got some Brasso [which is also a SS cleaner] to try to clean them up but so far I see little improvement. They sell "Blue Away" at bike shops for about $17 that they say will clean them, but with much elbow grease [about a 55 gallon drum's worth or so]. I'm not going to get any Blue Away.

A man at the bike shop said that with the yellow/goldish color my pipes have turned, that means the jetting is right. If the pipes turned blue, that would mean the jetting is making it run too hot, according to him.

Yeah, I might just leave them be and spend that time riding instead, hopefully. Black high heat paint worked OK on a black Yoshimura exhaust system on my 1982 GS1100E, but on this stock system, it may not. Guess I'll leave it stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back