Why Obsess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I am at the track it is nice to know I have quality oil in the bike that is not going to sheer down to the consistency of water after a few 20 minute sessions, can handle the high temps the bike hits coming off the track and it is nice having an oil that has a good additive package that aids in nice shifting even when the engine is quite hot.

I have tried many oils and it just seems like some work better at the track than others and some have better oil analysis results than others.

If this makes me some type of idiot I can live with that as I am more concerned with what works best for me and my situation than what others think about me.

Real world riding is considerably different than "at the track" riding. We must make that distinction. Just because a very few spend time "racing" their bikes does not mean that the rest of the world has to use the same lubrication.

Many participants here have been around for a good long while and have had numerous experiences with various motorcycles and other machines such as ATVs etc. We know what works and are wise enough not to fall for all of the dazzle and glitz associated with high priced designer oils. We know that there's nothing spectacular about oil in general.

There is no badge of honor for spending $15.00/qt. for a few quarts of oil to be dumped into a bike that will likely see minimal use and more than likely in the hands of a mediocre rider.

It's a fluid manufactured for the purpose keep our equipment lubricated. We do not look upon it as some magic elixir that becomes more potent as the price of it increases. Too many magazine reading, bench racing, donut eating bikers with little seat time and apparently no wrench time promote the use of exotic and expensive oils that are totally unnecessary.

I pity the uninitiated who have little or no guidance from someone with experience. They have to run the gauntlet of flashy advertising, salespeople's persuasion to buy unnecessary products and even sifting through misguided recommendations on forums such as this.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's fine. However, when one's opinion suggest the purchase of excessively expensive products that will not deliver substantial value beyond that of a product one quarter of the price, it is incumbent upon the knowledgeable to set things straight.

As I've said in the past, the uninitiated should be aware of the glamor, glitz of flashy advertising and designer oil fan-boys who highly recommend expensive oils for everyday use. It's totally unnecessary.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Because we can. If we had to labor all day and still not get enough to eat our obsessions would be different.

Bingo!

Because we can. If we had to labor all day and still not get enough to eat our obsessions would be different.

+1

Difference with me is that I already (and have for years) know that regular dino OCI's will serve well. However, it's still a choice I freely make and will continue to make. It's my money, my machine, my choice. Got it? If I choose to obsess, I can and will.

Once in a while, on most forums, people show up that think the only way to do things properly is 'their' way. Not me, I don't play that game. I respect other's opinions whether I agree with them or not. I don't feel that asking the same in return is too much to ask either.

If someone asks me to recommend an oil, I will. If they ask me what I run, i'll tell them. Just because I use a premium synthetic in scooters doesn't mean that I always recommend them to others - when clearly short OCI's with dino will do just fine.

Once again, my choice to obsess.

Rob

Last edited:

This is probably the best answer I have ever seen on any thread and applicable to just about every forum I have ever vistited. Well said.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Real world riding is considerably different than "at the track" riding. We must make that distinction. Just because a very few spend time "racing" their bikes does not mean that the rest of the world has to use the same lubrication.

Many participants here have been around for a good long while and have had numerous experiences with various motorcycles and other machines such as ATVs etc. We know what works and are wise enough not to fall for all of the dazzle and glitz associated with high priced designer oils. We know that there's nothing spectacular about oil in general.

There is no badge of honor for spending $15.00/qt. for a few quarts of oil to be dumped into a bike that will likely see minimal use and more than likely in the hands of a mediocre rider.

It's a fluid manufactured for the purpose keep our equipment lubricated. We do not look upon it as some magic elixir that becomes more potent as the price of it increases. Too many magazine reading, bench racing, donut eating bikers with little seat time and apparently no wrench time promote the use of exotic and expensive oils that are totally unnecessary.

I pity the uninitiated who have little or no guidance from someone with experience. They have to run the gauntlet of flashy advertising, salespeople's persuasion to buy unnecessary products and even sifting through misguided recommendations on forums such as this.

I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion. That's fine. However, when one's opinion suggest the purchase of excessively expensive products that will not deliver substantial value beyond that of a product one quarter of the price, it is incumbent upon the knowledgeable to set things straight.

As I've said in the past, the uninitiated should be aware of the glamor, glitz of flashy advertising and designer oil fan-boys who highly recommend expensive oils for everyday use. It's totally unnecessary.

Do you work for BP, as you sound like the guy on TV telling everyone there is no negative impact to ocean life or industry from the leaking well.

Get a grip, this is not a Communist society.

People go out and buy whatever makes you happy, it is your money you earned it.

Last edited:
I agree people can go buy whatever makes them happy.

However, telling someone that they should spend $15.00 or more for a quart of oil because anything less will not provide sufficient protection is misleading.

Freedom of speech/choice is no excuse for providing misleading or incorrect advice to those seeking information.

Quote:
all they simply have to do is follow the factory recommendations for their bike and it will last the designed lifespan or many, many years.

Yes, that is true, but as we see here on BITOG the "factory recommendations" are often more expensive and lower performing than other available options. In other words, I don't need to spend excess to purchase Kawasaki filters and Kawasaki oil to get good results. BITOG is useful for finding these sorts of products that can often be less expensive while performing better.

On one hand I think the notion that if you don't use synthetic oil your vehicle will die a premature, blindingly violent, horrible death is ridiculous. Synthetic oil makers have done a great job of making conventional oil look useless. It kind of reminds me of those Snuggie commercials on TV where they actually make a blanket without arm holes look like a medieval torture device that no one should ever have to endure.

On the other hand, I think the unobsessed people on this board are way too obsessed with making sure people know how unobsessed they are.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
I agree people can go buy whatever makes them happy.

However, telling someone that they should spend $15.00 or more for a quart of oil because anything less will not provide sufficient protection is misleading.

Freedom of speech/choice is no excuse for providing misleading or incorrect advice to those seeking information.

Well said
12.gif

What gets to me is that this is a forum to learn and when someones preconcieved notions get in the way of facts ,kinda stops the ability to learn.

Originally Posted By: FLHRGator
I think the unobsessed people on this board are way too obsessed with making sure people know how unobsessed they are.

LOL. Very astute observation Gator! It's called the arrogance of ignorance. They somehow feel they have been appointed as the guardian of all the newbies and uninformed and have the responsibility to educate them. Any view that contradicts theirs is labeled "misleading." What a crock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back