Grease for calpier slide pins and contact points?

Anything wrong with the little packs that are by the check out stands?I've seen the grease in white and in blue colors.Wonder why some are different colors?

I think some of it is Sil-Glyde or something else that will work. I think the dielectric grease may be a higher spec version of it. I use my big tube of Sil-Glyde on the calipers and save my little tube of dielectric grease for sparkplug boots.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: labman
I have usually apply Sil-Glyde when I install pads and the caliper still slides freely at the end of the pads life, often 2-3 years.

Do any of these cars use rubber bushings for the slide pin itself?

Yes

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have usually apply Sil-Glyde when I install pads and the caliper still slides freely at the end of the pads life, often 2-3 years.

Do any of these cars use rubber bushings for the slide pin itself?

Yes

Same here, I put ALOT on the slide pins, any metal sliding, and contact points, on the back of the pads where the piston meets and on all the bolts and brakcets. Basically I apply anywhere where it will not get on the disc or pad and have always had a much simpler 2nd brake job vs the first.

SLCraig did you ever find the correct brake pin lube for your Saturn?

”For what its worth, my Saturn uses one metal on metal caliper pin, and one that is housed in a full rubber bushing. Both were not in good shape.”

My 96 Regal is the same way and the Pematex green label just does not last.

I picked up some CRC Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease today and tested it on a spare rubber brake boot from my Regal. The CRC made the rubber boot swell just like other members here describe. No cross contamination involved because the boot was washed with soap and water several times and the CRC was applied to the outside.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ron350

”For what its worth, my Saturn uses one metal on metal caliper pin, and one that is housed in a full rubber bushing. Both were not in good shape.”

I picked up some CRC Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease today and tested it on a spare rubber brake boot from my Regal. The CRC made the rubber boot swell just like other members here describe. No cross contamination involved because the boot was washed with soap and water several times and the CRC was applied to the outside.

GM's offical caliper pin grease #18048057 "Organic Grease"..contains Dow corning molykote G-407..I ordered this product last Sept thru the local gm dealer (had to be sent from Kentucky to Canada)..industrial maintenance stores like Grangers would most likely carry this product...USE sparingly...or use the other recommended products that I have mentioned (pg2)

Picture showing how the CRC Brake Caliper Grease made a GM brake booster diaphragm swell after 4 hours.

crcbrakelube002a.jpg

Let me toss another lube into the fray... one which I heard about here some time back: Bendix Ceramlub.

Reciting what is on the label:

- Superior noise dampening
- Unequaled temperature range from -70*F to over 2500*F
- Not affected by salt, water, weather or brake fluid
- Safe for elastomers, rubber and plastic components
- Lasts the entire life cycle of the brake pads and shoes

Originally Posted By: RnR
Let me toss another lube into the fray... one which I heard about here some time back: Bendix Ceramlub

Started using Ceramlub a few years ago and it is the only thing that will hold up with the winter salt on New York state roads.
Most of the better shops use it for brake work.
About $15

Originally Posted By: Petersubaru
Another "rubber grease" I forgot to include by PBR.. http://www.pbr.com.au/products/replacement/ancillary.shtml

That PBR grease shown is meant for brake component assembly (in our case, including our brake shops here locally) and it doesn't possess the high heat/high pressure qualities necessary for caliper sliding pins/guide pins use.

Instead: you should resort to using something similar to Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake parts lubricant:

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automot...s_Lubricant.htm

For caliper sliding pins, my all time favourite (been using it for over 20 yrs) is Syl_glyde.

Q.

On my most recent brake job, I used syl-glide on the caliper slide pins. No grease was useed anywhere else.

For some reason, the guide pin boots on the caliper bracket "ate up" all of the grase. So if you grease a pin and then take the pin back out, there's barely any grease on it. Weird.

I just did all four brakes on my VW GTI and used Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease to lube the slide pins and various contact points.

"Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease is an aluminum complex based grease with superior water resistance and load carrying capacity. It repels water and acts as an excellent seal on bearings exposed to all weather and wet conditions over a wide temperature range. Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease is an extremely stable grease compatible with all other greases, except clay base grease, making this the choice of grease for general purpose use, providing superior corrosion protection."

Originally Posted By: ron350

I have since used a product I think from KENT?
I got it from the Nissan dealer. I have not yet tried it on my car but that is what they use on all cars they do brake jobs on, the parts guy said the techs all love the stuff.
I will have to figure exactly what the product is and at least let you know. I plan on using it real soon as my Satty is apart for a clutch and I'll probably re-lube the brakes before re-assembly (drivers side strut/knuckle is removed)

Well this is eye opening for me. I have been using Permatex Purple Ceramic Grease for its outstanding temp range to 2800 F. I want that high temp capability for my BMW which sees track time. I used to use antisieze but it would dry out in my experience, especially with the BMW apps it would be like chalk.

But I now have to reconsider the Perma Ceramic. Even though I clean the pins and relube well, along with the other contact points, I have had complaints from customers of squeeling and brake noise. Most of the cars I have done brake on though are the metal pin to metal bore setup, SO ????????????

Originally Posted By: EricJRoy
Well this is eye opening for me. I have been using Permatex Purple Ceramic Grease for its outstanding temp range to 2800 F. I want that high temp capability for my BMW which sees track time. I used to use antisieze but it would dry out in my experience, especially with the BMW apps it would be like chalk.

But I now have to reconsider the Perma Ceramic. Even though I clean the pins and relube well, along with the other contact points, I have had complaints from customers of squeeling and brake noise. Most of the cars I have done brake on though are the metal pin to metal bore setup, SO ????????????
.."squeeling" is mostly related to the type of pads being used and type of rotor surface...could also be coming from the caliper pins, but very rare for this to happen..lately, my only experience with all the cars in our family has been to use Akobono ceramics (HiPerf)in the fronts when ever possible..lube up the back of the pad and both sides of the shims to absorb or dampen the noise...pads are to be used on a freshly turned or new rotor..never a squeel from any of our vehicles..not even once over the last 4 yrs..

Hi all

I always use the lite green clear "silicone?" that comes in little packets at most autoparts localy, just can remember name right now.....:)

That's the standard issue brake caliper pin grease. It's called IIRC Permatex Synthetic Caliper Grease. On all the brakes I've done, the Green stuff tends to not resist water very well.

The stuff you want is purple, thick, and sticky and is called: Permatex Ultra Slick Ceramic Extreme Brake Lubricant. I have the expensive whitish clear Silicone, the Permatex Green, and the Purple, and the Purple is by far the best.

Did some research on this tonight and decided to order some of the Toyota lithium soap-based glycol grease, Toyota part # 08887-01206.

I presume that this stuff should be safe for any calipers on the market, correct?

Back