Turbine oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an ancient (mid 60's best guess)Leroi Dresser with a Ford V-4 gas engine. I need to figure out what oil to put in the compressor section.

I bought this unit as a ____ You to CARB (California Air Resources Board) as its gas powered and not diesel so they cant fine me into the stone age for operating a non compliant diesel.

It has an recommended oil plaque on it but its ridiculously vague. It says "use mineral oil, hydraulic oil, or turbine oil"

Any thoughts on what a suitable compressor oil would be?

Last edited by a moderator:
Contact one of the Sponsor reps here:

Salesrep and and ask him about their HTC oil in ISO 100,

or one of the Amsoil reps and ask them about their PCK compressor oil in ISO 100.

Most of these older compressors used an ISO 68 or 30 weight oil, but I would recommend an ISO 100 or 40 weight for a used one.

Last edited:
Its got low hours its just well, [censored] near 50 years old. Don't really want nor need anything fancy or the best. Just need to put decent oil in it that will do the job. IF i use this thing 8 hours over the course of a year i would be AMAZED.

I think it's funny - where I work we have a compressor made by Yeoman's Chicago Corp. and it's 20 years old and has seen anywhere from 24/7 use for the first few years of its life to 24/3 currently. It has a force-fed lubrication system and consumes the lube oil, so we would go through easily 100 gallons of ISO 100 in a year. (The unit is specced to use ISO 100)

Approximately a year and a half ago our local oil supplier stopped carrying the oil, so the maintenance people started using stuff just labeled "R&O Oil" from Advance Auto Parts. I checked the bucket the other day, and in small lettering on the back it says that it is ISO 32.

The only maintenance the unit ever gets is that the lube system gets flushed with either diesel or kerosene once a year (maybe) - I.E. they fill the reservoir that is meant to contain oil full of kero and let it run for two hours.

Sorry, rambling. Just thought it was a pertinent story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back