What is Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to clarify talking about what a transfer case is? What motorcraft transfer case fluid is? or looking for a replacement fluid?

-Transfer case is the housing for the 4wd/4x4 system. There is a specific fluid in there. Motorcraft being a Ford branded oil would be the most likely fluid to use(owners manual). If you are looking for replacements make sure they meet or exceed the manufacturer spec(owners manual again).

It's usually either Gear Oil, ATF or MTF(depending on what the manufacturer's preference is).

Last edited:
I know real well what the transfer case is. The question is the fluid. I'm looking for information on its characteristics, as there are many variations in design.

Motorcraft oils are not available. My job is to find something that works.

I seem to have read online that Motorcraft transfer case fluid is nothing more than mercon/dex III ATF. Ford backspeced everything (transmissions and power steering calling for mercon) for MerconV except for the transfer case. I think it had something to do with Mercon V not being good for the clutches in AWD mode.

My owners manual for my expedition (with AWD btw) calls for mercon but Ford recommends transfer case fluid now since mercon ATF is harder to find in the days of "all vehicles" fluid.

That is the kind of information I'm looking for. Strange that Mercon V would not cut it. I can understand where Mercon LV or SP would not (for viscosity). Unless it is to start clearing the way to say Mercon LV can replace Mercon V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back