Transfer case fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slammds15
What would you recommend using for transfer case oil in a 2005 F250 4x4?

Takes ATF fluid I guess?

I'd say any good fluid like Amsoils Synthetic Universal Transmission Fluid since you don't have to change it often.

How many miles on the fluid in there? What type of use?

Bill

All the above recommendations are great. I agree on going with a synthetic as you are not changing it very often and they only take a couple quarts (F150 takes 2).

I just put Schaeffer's ATF in my case a couple of months ago. I think you are way ahead of the curve by just changing the fluid once...most people never change it and get long life out of their cases.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Motorcraft XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid.

bd - do you know what this fluid is exactly? It looks to be the same viscosity of an ATF. What kind of additives are in it? I thought that Ford recommended ATF in the tcase...?

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
How many miles on the fluid in there? What type of use?

Probably around 238,000km :) the fellow who owned it before was just ever soo slightly lacking in the maintenance area. I have everything changed over to mobil in the diffs. I tow and play in the mud, its ofter in 4x4 in the winter as well.

Originally Posted By: XJ1100

bd - do you know what this fluid is exactly? It looks to be the same viscosity of an ATF. What kind of additives are in it? I thought that Ford recommended ATF in the tcase...?

its basically the old Mercon. they just call it transfer case fluid since Mercon is an obsolete spec in all transmissions from ford.

I am doing 60K maintenance on my Isuzu this weekend (fluids had been changed at 40K with dino at the dealer), and I am putting 1.2 quarts of M1 Syn ATF in the transfer case. It made a huge difference in PS unit, I am sure transfer case will love it, especially in our winters.
Front and rear differentials will get ST 75-90 synthetic gear oil, plus Trans-X LSD additive in the rear.

So the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF would be a good choice?

That's what we put in the Explorer and what I've put in the Expedition.

You've got a pile of it already....... I'd use it!

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
My AWD Tcase specs 75w90 gear oil as does my EVO VIII. Maybe its the AWD.

Completely different application. This thing has 600lb-ft of torque going through it pushing a truck weighing over 7,000lbs.

IIRC, your AWD unit is clutched like a diff, whilst this puppy would be a big chain-drive direct-drive unit.

Gear oil in a transfer case?????

Yep, like said, the little guys like in my Hyundai (pic below) usually spec gear oil. Big fellers like yours probably need to move around a lot more oil for cooling, etc, so ATF is used.
SantaFeTransferCase.jpg

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Gear oil in a transfer case?????

Yep, like said, the little guys like in my Hyundai (pic below) usually spec gear oil. Big fellers like yours probably need to move around a lot more oil for cooling, etc, so ATF is used.
SantaFeTransferCase.jpg

Joel

Awww, that's cute!!!

His looks more like this:

w-205-tc.jpg

Originally Posted By: XJ1100

its basically the old Mercon. they just call it transfer case fluid since Mercon is an obsolete spec in all transmissions from ford.

Then why would the 2010 Ranger manual call for Mercon V in the manual transmission and "old Mercon" as you call it in the transfer case. Why not just Mercon V in both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back