2001 ZX6-R Starting Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: V1
Yes, the bike has a diaphragm/slide/ needle system that works off of vaccuum pressure.

Have you closely checked the condition of the diaphragms? You might have some leaks.

I was looking at them today, and they all seemed to be in good shape. I cleaned each one off before reinstalling them, but I did not notice any anomalies.

EDIT: The diaphragms have springs that push them to the closed position Vaccuum pressure from the top pulls agains the spring tension to open up the sliders and needles. So it seems to me that the springs are what cause the sliders to close. All four should close at the same rate.

Last edited:
Diaphragms might be weak. Throttle linkage/cables might be tight or restrictive. Either way, you want to correct that issue. Good luck.

I learned that the standard idle mixture screw setting on this bike is 3 turns out. Currently, they are set at 3 1/2 turns, and the bike runs great! Perhaps that extra 1/2 turn compensates for the aftermarket slip-on muffler. Those tend to lean out the mixture condition, from what I understand.

I did order a vacuum gauge kit so that I can sync up the throttle valves, and also make sure there is no intake leak. Either way, I consider this project to be complete. Thank you all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back