05 Honda Accord valve adjustment - PICTURES

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Honda Accord 2.4 now has 130K Miles on it and today I took it to my mechanic and had him adjust the valves and replace the spark plugs. This is the first time the valve cover has been off on this car. Looks clean to me - what say you experts?

the first approx 100 K Miles, I was using Shell dino oil and I never paid attention to what filter was used. The last 30 K Miles I have been doing my own oil changes, using mainly Mobil 1 synth. Oil usually changed every 4.5K Miles.

The current fill is Penzoil Platinum with PureOne filter, oil has been in for 6.8K Miles - the longest I have ever gone between oil changes, and the oil shows darker than I am used to.

Next fill will be Valvoline Synpower.

For the last 15K Miles I have been running MMO in the gas on and off, and I also did on oil change with a quart of MMO - not sure what good it did, but things look good to me.

IMG00149-20100604-1037.jpg

IMG00145-20100604-1033.jpg

IMG00144-20100604-1032.jpg

IMG00146-20100604-1034.jpg

Originally Posted By: crinkles
nice and clean but 26k miles a year is a lot, easy driving?

Yeah, this car does 70% highway, at least, and my style of driving is pretty laid back. Miles add up pretty fast due to my work.

Looks clean - but how were the valves(loose/ tight?) and any bad cam lobes? Also why are you changing oil brands constantly and running MMO with a premium syn?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Looks clean - but how were the valves(loose/ tight?) and any bad cam lobes? Also why are you changing oil brands constantly and running MMO with a premium syn?

I brought the car in because the valves were sounding, and it turned out that some of them were very lose. Nice and quiet again after adjustment. Everything else was fine - my mechanic was pretty impressed.

I change oil brands just for fun - not a fan of any particular brand - not yet at least.

MMO did wonders in my old Astro, so I gave it a try in the Accord - not sure what good it may have done, but looking at the pictures, it is pretty evident it has not caused any harm.

I will keep using MMO on a regular basis in the fuel, but I don't think it is needed in the oil.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

That's a silly question for an oil forum. Why are you constantly looking for the magic juice?

To the OP cheers! whatever you are doing it looks great.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinu is a pretty good cleaning oil.
So is the added MMO every now and then.

Clean engines are normal, not special, nowadays.

Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
Is that a chain driven cam or belt driven?

chain driven. OP were the valves noisy, or just a maintenance preventative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back