Two stroke oil in a diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you really put two stroke oil in the PSD to help with lubricity and milage? Are there any long term ill effects? I would really like to know since its cheap, but I have heard that on emissions systems like my EGR system it clogs up. What do you guys think?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Can't see why you would need it; Diesel fuel is lubricant as it is

Not really no, with the lowered sulfur ULSF it's lacking lubricity for older and mechanical pump/injector engines so a additive IS required.

Originally Posted By: daman

Not really no, with the lowered sulfur ULSF it's lacking lubricity for older and mechanical pump/injector engines so a additive IS required.

In its raw state, ULSD is dry; HOWEVER, what you get at the pump is additized to bring the lubrication properties back into play. I ran it for a while in my CRD...it quieted things, but the cost wasn't worht the "benefit".

One thing to keep in mind is that mixing additives may actually cause more issues than it solves.

Originally Posted By: madibob
I know people who do it. They say to make sure it's TCW-3 oil. Here's an article comparing different lubrication additives:
http://www.johnfjensen.com/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf

Did you take note they compare/use UNADDITIZED fuel as a base...the results can be taken many ways.

Just because the additive made a difference with unadditized, doesn't mean it would have in an already additized fuel.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
Originally Posted By: daman

In its raw state, ULSD is dry; HOWEVER, what you get at the pump is additized to bring the lubrication properties back into play. I ran it for a while in my CRD...it quieted things, but the cost wasn't worht the "benefit".

One thing to keep in mind is that mixing additives may actually cause more issues than it solves.

ULSF is dry outa the pump also(15ppm only),but what i have been doing is cut it 50/50 with bio witch is great for lubricity.

There seems to be alot of differing opinions, I was refering to an old isssue of DIESEL POWER magazine and they looked at different additives and the effect of running them with regards to fuel MPG. They used 2-stroke oil as a option they tested for the bottom of the barrel additive. according to the article the correct additive could net an additional 1-2mpg. the 2 stroke did help. I understand that the mags are here to sell product, but does it help? I have personally seen an additional MPG increase and was wondering if I tried 2 stroke, could any damage be caused, and was wondering if any one was using this oil to mix.

I've been using 2-stroke in my 2003 7.3 and my '01 Jetta diesel for just over 2 years now. Haven't noticed any MPG difference, but the purpose was to lube the injections system. IMHO very important for older diesels that were engineered for LSD. I know that an additive is supposed to be added at the tank farm before shipping, but aren't we "supposed" to not cheat on taxes, speed, or take 12 items into the express lane? How would we know that the additizing that is supposed to be done is actually being done?
My seat of the pants reaction says that the latest RL-rated 2 stroke oil is better at lubrication. Both engines run much smoother on approximately 1oz/1.5 gal. fuel. Using lower ratios didn't make any difference, just smoke. If I don't have any 2-stroke with me when I fill, I catch it next time.

Originally Posted By: wayniac
There seems to be alot of differing opinions, I was refering to an old isssue of DIESEL POWER magazine and they looked at different additives and the effect of running them with regards to fuel MPG. They used 2-stroke oil as a option they tested for the bottom of the barrel additive. according to the article the correct additive could net an additional 1-2mpg. the 2 stroke did help. I understand that the mags are here to sell product, but does it help? I have personally seen an additional MPG increase and was wondering if I tried 2 stroke, could any damage be caused, and was wondering if any one was using this oil to mix.

Ahh ok,i was talking lubrication,but yea what ever..

lubrication is good too! I would think this is where the MPG increase would occur, at the effect of lubricity. Just wanted to see if anyone was using this stuff, and the outcome. I have tried the RBP and the DC from walmart, and seems to help me out, however two stroke is cheaper.

I used it for a long time in my MB. I stopped 4 tanks ago and I cannot tell any difference in sound or performance. I'm not sure if I will use it anymore.

By now, I suspect that only ULSD is available at most on-road fuel stations.

That being the case, there are a few situations that present potential for choices.

1) use ULSD as is. It does get a lubricity additive, but there are times when some "improvement" might be a good thing. The ULSD found at the pumps is good enough to pass industry tests, but sometimes we BITOGERS prefer a bit more than the minimum. I doubt that it's detrimental to use pump ULSD, but some people simply like an extra margin of safety in their products.

2) use a commonly available full-feature diesel fuel treatment. These typically address cetane, moisture, cold-suppressant points, lubricity, etc. If you use one of these, I see zero need for any two-stroke oil to further the lubricity. This is my personal choice.

3) if you use ULSD and do not use a full-feature additive, then you can consider adding TC-W3. I has been shown in some tests to significantly make the lubricity "better". Just don't over-treat it; that's a waste and it's smokey. A few ounces per gallon are typically enough. As always, there is a balance between cost and benefit.

BTW - moving this out of HDEOs - MOD

Last edited:
200:1 ratio is usually enough-where I saw the biggest difference was on my '02 Ram w/the HO Cummins & VP44 IP-it quieted it down a LOT, and (allegedly) those IPs were not designed to run ULSD, making the pump wear out & screw up quicker than running the old 500 ppm sulfur LSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back