Better MPG with Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I calculate and track my MPG every time I fill up. I had been using Chevron or Texaco for a the last few tanks. I filled up with Texaco regular 87 on May 26th and got 16.7 MPG. I filled up with Shell regular 87 on June 1st and got 18.8 MPG. My driving habits and commute/mix of city and highway driving did not change at all.

Anyone else here get better MPG on Shell? I filled up with Shell again today but I may not get more MPG from this tank because I added a bottle of Red Line SL-1. I am changing my oil next weekend.

My MMO dose stayed the same too, about 2.5 oz to each 10 gallons of gas. This makes me wonder if MMO does not somehow work better with the Shell gas additives.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Anyone else here get better MPG on Shell?

Nope. As a matter of fact, my experience is just the opposite. I seem to be getting slightly better mpg on BP or Mobil. Then again, I haven't done any scientific tests and the conditions are impossible to keep constant.

We just got 1.5 mpg gain w/91 vs 87 in the Astra. Went up to a solid 25 from the usual 23.5.

Shell and BP seem to only get me middle of road mileage. My car doesn't seem to like Marathon (7-11 either), but low-end Racetrac does alright. I don't like driving to the one closest to here though, and Shell is only a few cents more expensive so I use it often. Actually there isn't that big of a difference in price when comparing premium around this area.

I have gotten 2.5% to 5% better mileage with Shell for at least the last couple of years. No science I can figure out, but it's repeatable.

Here BP seems to be the worst, but I don't know why anyone would buy anything from BP in this country these days anyway.

In my experience Shell gasoline is good, better than BP or Speedway any day, but nothing exceptional. Their price premium isn't worth it to me. I get best mpg from Meijer fuel, and Conoco branded Flying J truck stops.

Shell abd chevron 93 ssem about the same fuel mileage on my bmw I average 21-23 mpg with a mixed city/rural commute.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Here BP seems to be the worst, but I don't know why anyone would buy anything from BP in this country these days anyway.

In my experience Shell gasoline is good, better than BP or Speedway any day, but nothing exceptional. Their price premium isn't worth it to me. I get best mpg from Meijer fuel, and Conoco branded Flying J truck stops.

I just noticed a Pattern reading this...

BP and Shell advertise their Additive package. BP says it has "Invigorate" and Shell, well i dont need to say anything about Shell advertising its Nitrogen V-Power.

Perhaps, all these "Additives" take power away, and make the Mileage do DOWN in a Old engine, but help things in a Clean one, like those brand new cars they tear apart for their flyers for engines that had No Dirt in them at all so Shell can say it made them Clean?

Not a chemist, but i would think a Nitrogen molecule would take power away and/or mess things up in Gasoline. Shell seems to have messed with it enough that Nitrogen works for their Advertising and gets them certified, but i compare it to Too Much Ethanol in cars that dont like or arent used to Ethanol in Gas, that 10% figure...

Where i live, i put in just about any gas. I try to use BP but sometimes Shell is cheaper, sometimes not, sonetimes no-name is cheaper. Sometimes Marathon sells Premium for the same price as 89 and i use that. Sometimes i put in a full tank of 87. Trying to put some MMO in, need to get the RedLine, but in reality my gas Mix is just about anything.

I keep a log of the Gasoline i put in just so i can know what i added and when, and how much

I wonder if the lower stuff works Better at delivering Power.

I just checked a GasAmerica brochure too, it says their Gas (All of it) uses "Chevron/OGA Oronite" Cleaner, which "Exceeds Federal standards for Gasoline Detergency" so that should be some good gas too? Doesnt mean it is what Chevron puts in, but there is so much Conflicting information, particualtly when Ethanol is thrown into the mix some gas stations SAY they dont use it but i thought it was Federally Mandated...

... That any Gas without Sludge and Water, to which i add Marvel Mystery Oil in my tank, unless Name Brand is same price as No Name, in which case i get Name Brand, goes in....

21.gif

I think you misread me. Speedway gives me poor mpg, and it isn't a premium brand. No nitrogen causing that, more likely ethanol.

I didn't mean that Shell gasoline gives me less mpg than Meijer or Conoco. It is just as good. Nothing exceptional is what I wrote.

Shell, Meijer, and Conoco, in my experience, are all better than Speedway, Pilot, and BP. The reason I don't buy Shell often is the price. My i30 recommends 91+ octane, and V-power is too expensive for me.
grin2.gif

I filled upi with Shell 87 again this past Sunday. So far my truck is doing very well with it. Will see how the MPG turns out at the end of the week. If I keep getting better MPG on Shell I may just use it exclusively. Shell and the one Chevron station are the only top tier gas available here. I will not buy cheap gas or gas that is not top tier.

I switch betwen Shell and Mobil every few tankful (or when I remember.) I figure the Shell add's will clean up what the Mobil add's left behind or cause and vice versa.

Where I live it all comes out of the same pipe line. The only difference I have found is when they change from winter to summer gas.

I got 17.66 MPG out of the gas I bought on Sunday, but that was with a bottle of Red Line Sl-1 in the tank too so I didn't expect to get good MPG from that tank.

I filled up on Shell 87 again yesterday, $2.59 a gallon and added 6 ounces of MMO. I will see how well this tank does.

Quote:
Anyone else here get better MPG on Shell?

Over the past year, I was making the exact same drive to work every day, filling up at about 3/4 tank every Thursday evening. All highway.

With Shell, I would net a little over 22 MPG. With Meijer fuel, it would return about 20 MPG. At first, I thought my calculations were wrong, as I would never believe gas would result in a near 2 MPG difference. I tried two more tanks of each and the results were the same.

Weird.

That's 2 MPG on 20 or 10%. I know of Michigan stations that will reduce me by the same percentage, 3 on 30. It didn't matter how I tested. It was repeatable for as long as I was willing to tolerate paying 10% more than smart fuel buyers. All stations had E10. I would like to know how there could be such substantial differences in gasoline quality.

I haven't run my current tank of Shell 87 out yet but just by looking at the movement of the fuel gauge over the last feew days it looks like it is moving down slower. Even with my last tank of Shell and a dose of SL-1 in the tank I still got half to one mile better MPG than I did with Chevron or Texaco.

I think in my case it has something to do with the reaction taking place with the Shell additives and MMO. I will post the MPG results of my current fuel fill here in this post in a few days.

I'm currently using ethanol free gas from a Shell station. Definitely better MPG and throttle response. Turkey Hill gasoline runs through like water. Even though they are typically up to 10 cents cheaper per gallon (and a Top Tier Gasoline Supplier), I always stay away from them...although their ice cream is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back