Termites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently started poking around at a stump of a tree that I cut down 2 years ago. When I hit it with a maul I freaked when I saw over 50 termite babies in there. This stump is about 10 feet from my 9 year old house.

Since I am a BITOGer there is zero chance that I am going to have Terminix send a 20 year old with 2 months experience to come spray under my house for $1000. I did find some sentricon stations on Ebay for around $50. Any other suggeestions?

Thanks

we had termites, the first thing to do is not panic. It takes a while for them to do alot of damage. we had gotten estimates of $1000 dollars, from the big companies. and $500 from independent contractors, the only differance was the independents did not offer a lifetime gaurentee. That is what you are really paying for when you go with the bigger companies. Two years later we finally did something and went with terminex, but I negotiated them down to $600. Now for that lifetime warrenty we have to pay $200 dollars per year, but they come out every year reinspect and apply as needed and any more damage they pay for. Get a couple estimates and remember these bug companies can sense fear
lol.gif

yeah, I'm in outside sales so I know the games they play with emotions. I generally just act uninterested and mention how much I like guns (really freaks out most people). It has been a couple of weeks since I saw the termites and I know that in my state they require a termiticide barrier when homes are built so if they have been here it hasn't been but for so long as I believe the termiticide is good for at least 5 years. Just looking for the good/bad/ugly of the Sentricon stations since it seems like they would be easy to install, inspect, and maintain and do a good job.

I think the biggest thing to avoid termites is to control water flow around the house. Termites love to be around soil that stays moist. The grade around your house does not need to let water stay up against the house. Same idea with gutter downspouts. Siding or any wood needs to up off the ground.

None of this is a sure fire way to preventing termites as they are a very common problem. I own 10 houses so believe me I have seen them a few times, also I have used diesel fuel to kill a termite colony.

I should add that I have have had several houses treated. The pest control personnel told that the treatment they have to use today may not be effective but for 5-10 yrs.

Last edited:
I've put out Setricon termite station but really I have no idea if they work or not. But for the price might be worth a try

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Too bad the EPA nixed Chlordane. Was good against termites.

I thought I was the only one that remembered Chlordane!! That stuff killed everything and once you put it down on the ground it worked for a very long time. To bad people misused it and the EPA outlawed it.

Thx Lord Abbett, my home does have a 2ft concrete block foundation. But with all of the rain we have had for the past couple of months there is no way to keep everything dry.

I think I'm gonna try out the Sentricon bait stations and see if I have any success. Should be interesting and a fun science experiment for the kids.

Originally Posted By: LordAbbett
I've put out Setricon termite station but really I have no idea if they work or not. But for the price might be worth a try

They work but you need to be on top of it. It takes patients and try not to disturb the termites as much as possible. You want to create a feeding ground so the termites will return and bring in their pals with them...they have scouts looking for food.

The only draw back with the Sentricon system is it takes time so it becomes something you need to monitor it.

yup, I saw that the bait stations need to be checked every other month for activity. If there are termites present drop in the poison and let em die from the inside out.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Too bad the EPA nixed Chlordane. Was good against termites.

I thought I was the only one that remembered Chlordane!! That stuff killed everything and once you put it down on the ground it worked for a very long time. To bad people misused it and the EPA outlawed it.

No, I knew it well too. It was probably the best at controlling termites, but is now long gone. The bait stations, work but if you are looking for a quick kill you need something like Termidor SC, {depending on where you live, some states it is illegal}. Dig a trench ~6" deep or so and follow the directions. If you have concrete you'll have to hammer drill through it and pump it into the soil under the concrete. If you do that get wine bottle corks and plug the holes, since these new termite treatments only last a few years.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Panzer - my bushes and shrubs dislike used petroleum products also.
You would be surprised that used oil and asphalt actually makes trees and plants grow in moderation, well, maybe it doesnt actaully make them grow, but it doesnt kill them and that bio diesel, you can drink that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back