Suggest an oil for my new 370Z please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Nissan 370Z. It's my third Nissan in a row and so far I've had VERY good luck with them. Always used Mobile 1 synthetic in my other Nissan cars but I understand that perhaps it's not the best out there.

So, Nissan recommends and ester based oil but does not require it. This car is prone to fairly high oil temps and you will often see oil coolers installed for those that take them to the track. I don't plan to do that but I do live in TX and it gets HOT here so...

What 5W-30 synthetic oil would you suggest when I change from the stuff they put in at the factory at 1000 miles?

I'd prefer something that I can get fairly inexpensively but I don't mind paying more (up to maybe $5 or $6/quart) for better oil.

Oh, I'll probably change the oil every 5K miles.

Thanks!

Last edited:
M1/PU/PP/Synpower/Rotella T5/T6/GC will all perform well. If you stick with conventional, I'd limit drains to 3k miles in this engine.

Redline, Motul X-Max or FUCH Silkolene Pro-S. You just bought a 370Z now pony up the cost of a couple gallons of gas for the right oil! I would not use a 5w-30 oil in warm months. 5w is only required for "winter" sub-freezing ambients. 5w-30 is very unstable** - worse than 10w-40.

** high volatility, shears out of grade

Last edited:
I`d spend some time on a 370Z forum and do LOTS of reading. Alot of Z33 and Z34 owners use 40 weight oils.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking maybe Redline. No way will I do conventional oil...only synthetic. Will check out the 370Z forums too, but I would think the guys here would know what oil would work best. :)

I'd hate to put a 40 weight in the thing unless it really needed it.

Now to bug the filter forum guys I guess. Thinking Bosch or Purolator.

Originally Posted By: buster
M1/PU/PP/Synpower/Rotella T5/T6/GC will all perform well. If you stick with conventional, I'd limit drains to 3k miles in this engine.

+1 skip the redline,amsoil ,motul boutique. I think m-1 would do just fine. pp or pu if the price is right synpower had great rebates lately. Almost any full synthetic is fine ,but i might be inclined to stick with ester based oils if mgf recommends. call mgf hotline(not the stealership) and see what the factory is using.

M1 0w-40

lots of VQ owners talk about their engines liking the 40wt oils, or atleast something thicker in the 30wt......

you like Mobil, and the 0w-40 seems to be an outstanding oil... there is your match made in heaven there

Last edited:
Redline has a 10w30 and a 5w30. If you are hesitant to go with a 40wt, go with Redline 10w30. It is on the higher end of the viscosity spectrum for a 30 grade and it won't have as many viscosity modifiers as a 5w30. Redline is an amazing oil no doubt.

But, you also have done well with Mobil 1 in the past. Pragmatic people would say stick with it. Their 0w-40 is their best oil and is completely perfect for your engine. It is a lighter weight 40 grade so will be closer to a 30 but not completely. And to boot, it carries so many manufacturer approvals, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to say them all in one breath.

PP has some decently low HT/HS and Noack Volatility #'s in its 10W-30 flavor. Been thinking of going to that myself from the 5W-30. You'll find a lot of popular oils are on the thin side of the viscosity charts anyhow.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
M1 0w-40

lots of VQ owners talk about their engines liking the 40wt oils, or atleast something thicker in the 30wt......

you like Mobil, and the 0w-40 seems to be an outstanding oil... there is your match made in heaven there

^^I see alot of 350Z/370Z dyno runs using that oil. Probably an excellent choice!

Thanks again. A lot of M1 backers here as I used to be. I read though that M1 is not really a full synthetic and is a grade III. Now, I don't pretend to know what that all means but it is my understanding that in engines like the VQ where the oil temp gets a bit hot that the grade IV is a better choice.

Oh, I read where Royal Purple is an ester based oil. No one has mentioned that one. Not well thought of?

I guess the M1 0w-40 would be great if M1 really is a good oil as I used to think. Ran it in my supercharged Thunderbird before I switched to Nissan cars. Back then, it was one of the better ones outside of Amsoil which was pretty pricey then.

I run RP all the time. If you want a 40 weight and want a PAO base (grp IV) synth,use RP`s 0W40,5W40,10W40,or 15W40. It`s a grp IV oil with some grp V (ester) additive.

Man, am I jealous. Had a '76 Datsun 280Z for 10 years. Wish I still had it. Of course, a new 370Z certainly would suffice. My wife's 530i is fun to drive, but not quite like the Z. I've really been impressed with the GC in the BMW, but I do 7K oil changes and not the 15K that BMW recommends. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to use M1 0W-40 or even TDT 5W-40. Of course, I used 20W-50 GTX in the 280, changed every 3,000 miles in that smooth-revving inline 6. Things have changed quite a bit since then, though.

f_5W-40.png

Or this

51qQUIBbs6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Love Nissans too. Had tow Maximas and my daughters own new Altimas. They run hot, and are hard on oil. Don't run extended OCIs and use good oil. Lots of good choices, but spend a few bucks more on something worthy. Give the PureOne filters a go too.
Congrats on the Z. I'm jealous!

Originally Posted By: Darrin
Thanks again. A lot of M1 backers here as I used to be. I read though that M1 is not really a full synthetic and is a grade III.

Mobil won't explicitly say what the ratio of group III to group IV to group V components their oils have, so a lot of people assume that means they're heavy on Group III. Personally, I suspect they're a blend of III and IV with some V (ester) in additive-level percentages (small). Some grades, notably 0w40, M1 TDT 5w40, and probably both the AFEs are likely heavier on the group IV than something like regular M1 10w30.

But then Group III isn't a bad thing either. Shell Rotella T6 synthetic is group III (albeit a very special base that is more of a group III+) and its one of the best oils out there.

Oh, I read where Royal Purple is an ester based oil. No one has mentioned that one. Not well thought of?

RP has group V (ester) only in additive percentages as far as I know. Their base stocks are primarily group IV (PAO). Redline is the main proponent of group V base stocks.

I guess the M1 0w-40 would be great if M1 really is a good oil as I used to think.

Just my opinion, but M1 0w40 and M1 TDT 5w40 are some of the best oils out there. And as I said, I'd put RT6 5w40 in that category too.

You have a lot of good choices. No best really. You could always use M1 0w-30 or 5w30 and spike it with their 15w50. Or just use their 0w-40 which is probably ideal for that engine. Mobil 1 will handle the heat very well. I would consider using the new Pennzoil Ultra otherwise.

Nissan GTR comes filled with Mobil 1 0w40.

Stillen likes Redline 0w-40 for their GTR's.

Redline & Stillen GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back