Fluid Change Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
The City owns a New Holland TV145 tractor that I use to snowblow in the winter and mow lawns in the summer. I put roughly 150 hours on it in the year I've had it. I wonder if it's worth the cost of fluid and filters to change them at 150 hours. The book says 1200 hours or annually (there are also 600 hour figures). Obviously I won't wait 8 years but would every other year be sufficient? Once we start it. it runs 4-8 hours so I can't see moisture as a problem. Oh, and can I substitute, say, NAPA filters? NH are a bit spendy. Thanks.

10 gallons of hydraulic fluid (special additives in the NH stuff, supposedly) and 5 gallons of motor oil. It's about $500 worth of filters at the local NH dealer which is why I'm looking for non OEM filters, plus, we get a discount on filters at some of the auto parts stores.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, a bidirectional tractor. There must be a good sexually oriented story to go with that, but I'm not going there. $100,000+ playtoy....cool.

window, I have a similar conundrum with my workplace JD tractors that only get about 120 Hrs per year. 80% summer, 20% winter, all under 100 HP, NO turbo chargers.

I do one year engine/filter OCI's because I sleep well doing that. A UOA would probably indicate I could go longer, but oh well. We do more "short trip" type stuff than you.

I do my "hytran" and gear fluids every 4 to 5 years. One time, at 5 years, the hytran fluid did have noticeable moisture in it, and my old Oliver collected lots of condensation in the tranny.

It's my hypothesis that humid air contacting the inside of the tranny case can form condensate just sitting there. I had one JD front mower that would get milky after 2 years. It really depends on the equipment and YOUR conditions, but in many cases the "annual" recommendation is too short.

I don't do UOA's, so I am just guessing by the "look" of the fluids. But still, I am usually at 50 to 70% of the book's hour recommendations, but over the "annual" recommendation.

Fuel filters...mine says 500 hours or annually. The one time I tried 2 years, I got a "glug" of H20 goo and fouled things up. I think this was a biofuel supplier issue, but it made me paranoid none the less.

I think each situation has to be evaluated individually.

See Widman's stuff about air filters and restriction gauges. One year at your 150 hours is probably way too early (assuming you don't mow in a dust bowl). Probably 2 to 4 years is reasonable.

Bitog member Jim Allen in Ohio has good knowledge on this stuff too.

I think Wix/NAPA/Carquest are excellent filters, but be careful to cross reference carefully and compare them for fit and "apparent quality". The OEM hydraulic filter on my Kubota cost $35 and weighed like brick. The Wix $9 replacement weighed like a feather and made me nervous....hydraulics need superb filtration.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back