Nissan Quest VQ35DE switch to synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Just bought 2005 Nissan Quest VQ35DE with 82K miles. Van drives good and quite. I don't have much clue of the previous oil record. I saw Penzoil conventional oil sticker on the windshield. I saw no oil leak around oil pan. My question is that can I switch to the synthetic oil safely ? Do you think there are some significant benefits to switch?

what kind of Synthetic oil would you recommend for nissan VQ35DE? Your inputs are very much appreciated.

I used what we call "German Castrol" (Syntec, only in the 0w-30 grade, and made in Germany) in my 04 G35, and it ran great and produced outstanding UOA results. I would certainly recommend that product if you're interested in going with a syn.

Mine is running great on the factory fill of Genuine Nissan Ester Oil. If it was not so expensive, I would refill with the same product.

On mine, I will be using Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 at 3-4k intervals because: 1) Valvoline fully backs it for use in applications calling for Nissan Ester Oil, 2) It was on sale for $1/qt, 3) Based on the UOA results I have seen, the VQ35DE is not particularly easy on oil, 4) Deposits seem to be an issue, as well as timing chain problems and oil consumption. Therefore, using a higher quality oil is prudent if one wants the best defense against engine wear and oil consumption issues later in the engine's life.

Now that I have 2 cars w/ the VQ engine in them I have been trying to keep up on all the VQ threads that pop up. By far there are more knowledgeable people on the topic than me, but the conclusion I've come to so far is since I'm sticking to the severe service OCI of 3750 miles a quality conventional like PYB should work fine. On my g35 that is close to going out of warranty, I probably will start to extend to 7k or so with a quality synthethic, maybe Synpower or PP. But a few recent threads have popped up discussing good results with Rotella T6.

Guess I should add since I just took advantage of the Advance Auto sale code plus Shell rebate to get 3 gallons of T6 for around $19, I'll probably be trying the T6 very soon in my G35.

Originally Posted By: shawny008
Hi guys,

Just bought 2005 Nissan Quest VQ35DE with 82K miles. Van drives good and quite. I don't have much clue of the previous oil record. I saw Penzoil conventional oil sticker on the windshield. I saw no oil leak around oil pan. My question is that can I switch to the synthetic oil safely ? Do you think there are some significant benefits to switch?

what kind of Synthetic oil would you recommend for nissan VQ35DE? Your inputs are very much appreciated.

Benefits are extended oci,but can only be realized if theres an olm or you actually get it analyzed to see how far you can go.If niether of these apply save a few bucks ,literally only a few,and stick with a good dino. Mobil Clean 5000 or similar,or whatever is on sale.

These engines seem to really like Rotella T6 for some reason. My wifes G35X did not like mobil 1 for some reason. Drank it like water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back