2007 Acura TSX slow starting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I just purchased a 2007 TSX w/Navi. The car has 52,000 miles. I noticed every time I try to start the car, it seems to crank for 1 or 2 seconds before it ignites or fires up. I also have a 2007 Nissan Max and it will fire right up. I am using premium fuel as required. This occurs with a full, half or quarter tank of gas. Is this normal?

Sounds like the battery. We got a 2006 TSX bought it brand new and the OE battery died 2 years later. But, before the it died cranking the car did take some effort.

Last edited:
The starting perception from one person to the next will vary. To be on the safeside have the battery tested. If that is good then consider it normal.

Other thing to try that may help is switch brands of fuel or try a cleaning additive such as Chevron.

Any car (your TSX included) with the K series Honda engine seems to crank slow to me. Still starts in winter here, so I don't really care.

As pointed out, the batteries on these are also pretty weak.

I think I may be using the wrong word to descibe the situation. It seems to crank fine, but it takes a second or two to fire up. The cranking speed seems normal, but I do not have another TSX to compare it to. You guys may be right that it is the battery. I guess a load test should show if there is a problem.

Maybe I'm used to it, but my 2007 Accord seems fine to me....BUT you maybe be noticing the "delay" built into the ignition system to possibly build some oil pressure or create some flow, maybe just under colder conditions. I'm partly speculating and partly repeating quips I read.

I don't think the batt has anything to do with it. fwiw, my 4cyl car cranks slowly and has low reserve capacity. I plan on upgrading to a 6cyl batt.

Try this.
Turn the key on for a few seconds [no crank, but key on], then crank it.
Note if the actual cranking time before it starts is shortened compared to just getting in there and cranking it.

This 'primes' the pump and pressurizes the fuel system.
This is only a quick test to see which half of the system is possibly acting up.

This is a good idea. If the battery and starter are working good and the ignition and plugs are fine, usually hard starting is a fuel delivery issues, dirty injectors leaking FPR etc, especially if hard starting when hot. Sometimes a dirty throttle body and/or IAC valve can be part of the problem too.

My RDX is like that as well, I think it's just a [censored] battery (I find the CCA on the battery the bare minimum if that).

You can live with it or get a new battery.

Also check the water level of the battery.

Last edited:
Obviously get the battery checked. But I think some cars just take a few more cranks than others. My brother's brand new Mazda3 1 or 2 seconds to start, whereas my Cobalt fires on the first crank. Just the way it goes.

The initial timing spark of some engines is delayed to wait for the oil pres. to reach the rod bearings. If you wait for the pres. to reach the bearings before 1st ignition, then you have little potential for rattle. FWIW--Oldtommy

Thank for all the replies. I will try the suggestion and see what happen. I was just not sure if it was normal or not. It seems like a few cars have the same issues.

2oldtommy - GM had this type of device insiunated on many cars.
I think it stinks, but you are smart to remember it.
Maybe this car has something like it, too.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Any car (your TSX included) with the K series Honda engine seems to crank slow to me. Still starts in winter here, so I don't really care.

As pointed out, the batteries on these are also pretty weak.

this guy beat me to it. I noticed on a 2007 civic si it cranks very slowly. I thought of it as a good feature..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back