RTV Sealant For Differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad wants me to change his Differential Fluid, when I have done this on my car I have used the Red RTV Sealant, is this the stuff to use, or should I use the Black RTV Sealant.

I believe the Blue RTV Sealant is for valve covers, I have never used the Blue RTV Sealant on a Differential Cover.

Actually, if you read the tube of gray, it says the same thing. You're supposed to assemble the part, then tighten just enough to squish it out a little, then wait an hour and tighten to spec.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Actually, if you read the tube of gray, it says the same thing. You're supposed to assemble the part, then tighten just enough to squish it out a little, then wait an hour and tighten to spec.

http://www.permatex.com/documents/tds/Automotive/82194.pdf
Originally Posted By: Grey
6. Assemble parts immediately while silicone is still wet.
Secure or tighten to recommended torque specs.
7. Re-torque will not be necessary after the product has
cured.

Go black. It's designed for oil sealing app's. Say's so on the packaging. Used it on my Tranny pan the last 3 times and it's worked great. Only thing to note is you've got to let it dry for 24 hrs(although, I only gave it 14 and it still didn't leak).

Last edited:
I've been usi ng the Permatex Hi-Temp Sealant(red tube) in the diffs for years without any leaks

The red takes a bit more heat - not necessary in this application.
There are many different blue RTVs around - some are like the clear aquarium sealer stuff - not that hot.
I generally use one of the Ultra products. Sensor safe and better composition.
Most anything can work if the substrate is clean and oil free, and the RTV is given proper cure time.

I would add a caution. Many modern cars/trucks have TTY bolts that must be replaced on the diff covers.

Make sure yours doesn't.

If you have the time there is a good chance you can get a good parts guy to look up a gasket .I did that for the differential on my wifes Superduty and it sure makes the oil changes nice and quick.

I cant yell it from the peaks loud enough, the best thing i ever did for my super duty is get a mag-hype diff cover. Comes with an O-ring seal that works perfectly.

Also word on the streets is you can get the finned aluminum diff cover off the new superdutys from your ford dealer for under $50. For the 10.5" diff only though. IF you have a Dana 80 your out of luck and the mag hytec is cheaper.

I have always used Ultra Black RTV, never had a problem.

Put a bead on around the holes, swirl it a bit with your fingers to kill air bubbles and let it cure a minumum 30 minutes, then finger tighten.

I usually wait a few hours tighten a bit more with a wrench then fill. I give it another 1/3 turn with a open end wrench the next day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back