malibu body control module

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some issues with a 2004, the shifter wont disengage to go into reverse once in a while and some other intermittent electrical gremlins , I read about a tsb on corrosion at the connector and cleaning it up, my question is where is the bcm located on this vehicle?

I think the Malibu's are located under the glove box. Have to remove the two underdash covers on passenger side.

dave

If you goto GM Parts direct and look up the part usually there is an image of where its located and other parts in association with it. On my impala it was on the hump behind the center console(by the firewall).

Sometimes the dinger is integrated, follow the noise.

Your shifter thing could be the lockout solenoid. Often you can turn the key to ACC, move the shifter to neutral, start the car without the solenoid ever engaging/sticking.

Here's some info for you:
BTW - it's located behind the r/s console trim panel. Not under the glovebox, but inside the console.

---------------------------------

xTooltipElement
Service Information 2004 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2368993
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-08-47-002: Information on Body Control Module (BCM) Functionality Across Vehicle Lines - (Nov 17, 2009)

Subject: Information on Body Control Module (BCM) Functionality Across Vehicle Lines

Models: 2004-2010 Chevrolet Malibu

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR

2005-2009 Pontiac G6

2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice

2007-2009 Saturn AURA, SKY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The purpose of this bulletin is to address the unique differences in Body Control Module (BCM) functionality of the affected vehicles. Many electrical functions on these vehicles do not directly involve the BCM, even though they may on other vehicles. The cooling fans, for example, are controlled by the engine control module (ECM) on the Malibu, but are controlled by the BCM on the Impala. The BCM is primarily a gateway between the high- and low-speed GMLAN serial data buses on the above listed vehicles.

Functions That Do Not Involve the BCM
The following list of features and functions are not controlled or dependent on the BCM:

Important: The BCM should NOT be replaced for conditions in these areas.

• Cooling fans

• Clock display

• Radio display

• Power mirrors

• OnStar®

• Rear wiper (on Malibu Maxx)

• Warning lamps

• Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)

• Driver seat belt reminder light and chime

• Power windows

Important: The BCM also acts as a power distribution center and may provide a fused battery feed to the modules that actually do control the above functions.

Do not assume a similar control module issue will apply to different vehicle lines. Refer to SI for the appropriate description and operation and diagnostic information.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2004 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1237803

Body Control Module Replacement
Removal Procedure
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
Remove the right console trim panel. Refer to Front Floor Console Side Trim Panel Replacement - Right Side .
Remove the body control module (BCM) screws.
Remove the BCM wire harness connectors.

Remove the BCM.
Installation Procedure

Install the BCM.
Install the BCM wire harness connectors.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Install the BCM screws.
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 2.5 N·m (22 lb in).

Install the right console trim panel. Refer to Front Floor Console Side Trim Panel Replacement - Right Side .
Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
For a new or remanufactured BCM, setup the BCM. Refer to Control Module References .
© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.

thanks for the info guys, it was replaced under warranty a few years ago because the left front turn signal was only working part time, I have a few gremlins related to the body electrical and was just going to check the connection etc.
If I did end up replacing it would it program itself or would it have to be done with a scan tool?

Needs to be reprogrammed with a Tech 2 scan tool than there are some learn procedures you gotta do.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
thanks for the info guys, it was replaced under warranty a few years ago because the left front turn signal was only working part time, I have a few gremlins related to the body electrical and was just going to check the connection etc.
If I did end up replacing it would it program itself or would it have to be done with a scan tool?

I know all about Gremlins. My BCM caused my cruise control to not work, my power locks would unlock/lock 1,000 times a second as if possessed before no longer working(couldn't use the inside locks, remote worth a salt because it would auto unlock.), trunk would open during rain storms and last but not least the car thought it was getting stolen and immobilized the engine! I disconnected the battery and reconnected it for my brother(gave the car to him in 2008) to at least let him drive around where he needed to go. Researching led to the BCM so I told him to order it online at GMpartsdirect and it was much cheaper than dealer. He took it to the dealer and had them install + flash it for about $150 plus a few other things he needed to get done.

That fixed EVERYTHING!, If I had found that information I woulda kept the car and still had it(probably why I got rid of my 08 tC and 04 Xterra owning both a year each). Haven't liked a car as much as I did my 01 Impala.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back