tires for 2000 chevy z71

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, need more info. Tire size and what your driving needs are. There are many options in All Season, All Terrain, Mud Terrain, etc... Need more info to give the best answer.

Oh, and BTW, you have a model year 2000 truck still running the OE tires?

Last edited:
WOW! That is impressive.

But without a moments hesitation I would recommend the on-road choice be the new LTX M/S2 from Michelin.

Just put these on my one of my Silverados and they are fantastic. Look pretty beefy in 265/70/17.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
WOW! That is impressive.

But without a moments hesitation I would recommend the on-road choice be the new LTX M/S2 from Michelin.

Just put these on my one of my Silverados and they are fantastic. Look pretty beefy in 265/70/17.

I second this recommendation.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I second this recommendation.

We have a second.... all approve?

Aye.

(I have a set of LTX's on my 2004 Chevy...)

No, I disapprove. I do not care for the new LTX M+S2. I liked the original LTX M+S a lot better. If the OP wants an All Season tire I would suggest the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, Firestone destination LE, or the General Grabber HTS before the new M+S. The tires are as good or better and a fraction of the cost( even the Bridgestone tire ).

Last edited:
My grandfather got some Michelin X Radial LTs for his 99 Silverado Z71 and they are great. We have the original Michelin LTX M/S on our expedition, 40,000 miles, I would say probably another 10, 15k left on them. I don't know anything about the LTX M/S2 but if they are anything like the others, don't worry. But I say if you can find them, try the X Radials

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
No, I disapprove. I do not care for the new LTX M+S2. I liked the original LTX M+S a lot better.

Please clarify.

While the original LTX M/S was fantastic, the "2" is improved in almost every way, and still has that 'gnarly' tread we all love!

Actually, the tread design changed somewhat on the new LTX M+S vs the original. I prefer the original tread design. The new design is less aggressive(IMO).

Original LTX M+S:
mi_ltx_ms_1000.jpg

LTX M+S2:
mi_ltx_ms2owl_1000.jpg

Actually, the tread design on the top tire is not the same as the LTX's on my Silverado.

Also, the LTX 2 is rated at 700 or 720, where the LTX is only rated at 500.

My regular LTX's look more like the bottom picture. So do the set on my parent's Expedition, which are at least 3 years old. And so do the set on my sister's Explorer, which are over a year old.

Picture from Michelin for the LTX M/S2:
ltx-m-s2.jpg

Picture from Michelin for the LTX M/S:
ltx-m-s.jpg

Picture from Michelin for the "old" LTX M/S:
ltx-m-s.jpg

The tires I have are the middle ones, as are the ones I spoke of in my earlier post. Looks like the latest version of the M/S really isn't that different from the M/S2..........

The picture of the Original LTX M/S is not the same as it looks in all sizes. I like the original LTX's that had the open shoulder blocks which most sizes did have.
I would not go with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza or the General Grabber HTS.I would consider the Firestone destination LE if price is an issue. I would HIGHLY recommend the Michelin LTX M/S2 as the best tire choice hands down for your truck. They are the best wearing, smoothest riding tire I've seen. The LTX M/S2's have a tighter tread pattern than the original LTX M/S but are supposed to have better traction due to 3D Active Sipes and A new silica tread compound.

The one in the middle is the tread pattern of the LTX's on my Silverado as well.

The bottom one, referred to as the "old" design may have been a tread pattern used as original equipment on certain new vehicles.... possibly Dodge Ram pickups, IIRC.

I had 2 sets( 03 & 04 )of the ones I showed( Yes, OEM on 2 Dodge Rams )and that is on the bottom of the 3 shown. Those were very good tires. Have family members and friends who have had those shown on the top and they stink in bad weather.

I don't care for the "newest" one at all( how is that? - the one on the top of the 3 shown - middle one looks like it may be ok ). I have had 3 sets of Destination LE's and they actually are superior to the M+S's(IMO - top and bottom ones anyway). Same ride and noise level, last as long too, BUT they actually give better snow and ice traction. Almost $100 a tire cheaper for them as well in your average 17"+ sizes.

fs_destination_le_owl_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Would also recommend the Destination LE's. They are the OEM on my Tacoma. The GF also bought some for her 05 Mariner.

Pros: Excellent in the rain.
Quiet
Nice steering attributes
Good in snow up to 6 inches or so
Both sets have had no balance or roundness issues
Good looking and aggressive tread
Hold air well-rarely have to adjust or add air
Firm but non harsh ride
Great Value

Cons: MPG's down 1 on the Trip computer immediatly after install
Obviously not a LRR tire.

Status