Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 05corollaLE
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: 05corollaLE
Originally Posted By: Eddie
What a question.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Ridiculous question :)

Is it really a silly question? I seriously don't know if all car A/C's are equal.

I have a 07 medium shade gray Toyota Yaris with after market tint. I don't have shade at work so the car sits in the New Orleans' sun all day.

It typically doesn't cool off until I get home after my 20 minute commute.

Is it safe enough where you are parked to slightly crack the windows and or sunroof?!?!? That small difference can easily drop the interior temp 30 degrees or more.

Don't have a sunroof, but I'm often in indoor meetings where I have no idea if a summer shower pops up.

I'm considering a new vehicle anyways, just wanted a cooler one if it fit my other criteria.

If you want to leave your windows cracked and not get flooded out in a storm

http://www.amazon.com/Window-Visor-Vent-Shade-Corolla/dp/B001N2P73E

you should be able to find some of those for your car.

I do have those vent shades on the outside of my car and will never ever get them again...If the windows are cracked even a drop [yes with the vent shades]and the landscapers come by [like they always do where ever I am parked] all the garbage goes right into your car...It also does nothing to keep it cooler then if the windows are closed all the way...If one comes off for some reason you have to buy another full set as you can not buy just one for one window...If you want to take them all off for some reason you will have fun taking the glue off the top of all the windows.

The coldest that I have seen was in an old Mazda RX7.
It was a R12 system, with a small interior [this helps AC and heater use].
But it was almost freezing at the vents.
I remember it to this day as my AC goal.

"Coldest" or "best" in this context aren't very meaningful. If it keeps you comfortable, isn't that what's really important? Nevertheless, an interesting discussion.

I like the systems that Toyota uses in the hybrids. They're all-electric, and are powered by the traction battery. As a result, the system performs beautifully under all conditions, totally independent of engine rpms. In fact, it runs great even with the gas engine entirely off. The compressor is a variable speed design, so it runs only as fast as necessary to deliver the desired temps in the car. And if you set it to max cold, you'll get meat-hangin' temps very quickly. Same type of system in the Prius and Camry, and same great performance from each.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

I like the systems that Toyota uses in the hybrids. They're all-electric, and are powered by the traction battery. As a result, the system performs beautifully under all conditions, totally independent of engine rpms. In fact, it runs great even with the gas engine entirely off. The compressor is a variable speed design, so it runs only as fast as necessary to deliver the desired temps in the car. And if you set it to max cold, you'll get meat-hangin' temps very quickly. Same type of system in the Prius and Camry, and same great performance from each.

What I find amazing down here in the jungle is most of the hybrids I see down here are driving around with their windows down in the Miami blazing sun while all the gas engine cars have all their windows up.

My neigbor had a 04 Precis and and now has a 10 Precis and I know the a/c in those cars work real good as I have been in it so I can't figure out why the bulk of them drive with the windows down in this jungle heat down here...My neighbor always keep their windows closed in their Precis.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Having owned Fords, GM and Chrysler products I've found GM A/C to be the best. That was the only thing I liked about GM come to think of it.

I agree. Ford and GM A/C usually use the orifice tube system, but Ford usually use a cycling clutch while GM uses a variable displacement compressor. I think the variable displacement compressor that always runs is a better system, but either can cool good. GM A/C worked very well especially when they had 2.25 lbs of R12 and a nice even 3 can of refrigerant, But even the later models with ~2lbs of R134a are pretty cold.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

What I find amazing down here in the jungle is most of the hybrids I see down here are driving around with their windows down in the Miami blazing sun while all the gas engine cars have all their windows up.
. . .

What you're seeing is someone who does not understand how to operate his or her hybrid. One of the other neat features of the car is that it "recycles" cooled cabin air in order to cool the traction battery. In the Camry, there's a prominent intake vent on the rear shelf; in the Prius, it's along R rear passenger side.

Anyway, if you deprive the battery of cool air on a hot day, it won't be long before the ECU, sensing the heating battery, starts to restrict its use to protect it from damage. At that point the car starts to rely more, or exclusively, on the gas engine, and fuel economy will then drop.

In short, there's no reason to endure the heat in a futile effort to improve mpgs, since somewhat ironically, that won't work in these cars. Morale: be cool because there's no reason not to.
cheers3.gif

All I can offer is anecdotal evidence. One of my coworkers was involved with FoMoCo and their efforts to expand operations in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Dubai, etc. One of the first things he learned was that Saudis loved their full size GM sedans. He asked around, and the superior AC performance was the main selling point of that car (late 70s/early 80's vintage). GMs had a reputation for keeping you chilly on hot days.

What car has the coldest a/c? The vehicle that got the most attention on the assembly line. =-)

My previous 2005 Express cargo van would freeze your toes off on low setting within a couple blocks. Was great when I was doing short city hops between service calls. It literally was a meat locker. My 'new' 2009 Express cargo van (visually, all the a/c equipment looks to be the same) takes a good half hour to get the interior good and cold, and you need to crank up the blower speed to get any effect sooner. So either something got downgraded for '09 or my '09 was charged by the new guy, and the '05 by an a/c pro.

Alex.

I don't think any of the latest models cool as good as the earlier models. They seem to be keep lowering the refrigerant charge and sometimes raising the evaporator pressure/temperature. When you really need A/C you need it to cool good. What a waste.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
GM cars from the 'seventies had great AC.
Good enough that Rolls Royce used GM AC on their cars, along with GM automatic transmissions.
Jaguar also used GM automatics as well.
Don't know about the AC in the Jags, though.
GM must have also had great AC in the 'eighties.

the full size ones were good. I had a 78 Trans Am that I bought new and the AC was never what I would call cold. In fact, it was less than adequate,

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE

. . .

What you're seeing is someone who does not understand how to operate his or her hybrid.

Actually that is exactly what I thought when I saw them with the windows down.

My BMW has great air conditioning. Running R-12 with a Japanese Seiko-Seiki compressor. 19 years and no leaks and never been topped up. Every other vehicle I have ever owned has leaked.

I had a Toyota Supra years ago that also had a great system.

The best thing you can do for your car a/c is to just leave it on all the time all year long...Just set it and forget it...The bulk of the people who turn off their a/c for months at a time are generally the ones who have issues...I have seen 20 year old cars with cold a/c's [that leave them on all time] that have never been touched...But I also see 3 year old cars [owners that cut if off whenever they can] who have all kind if issues with their a/c.

As soon as the weather gets warm its always the same people complaining that their car a/c is not working the way it should after they had it off for most of the winter and spring.

Crownvic, I would agree with you on this. I had our 99 Grand Am in to the AC shop today for a Leak I could not find. Guy said biggest problem is when they sit for a few years and the compressor seal dry out.

My BMW would be the exception; It has sat for 6 months every winter without use for the past 19 years

Well we can't exactly run them in the winter, can we? You live in Miami crownvic, I dunno if you've lived up north, but we kinda need to run the heat in the winter, lol. Besides, once it gets to a certain temperature outside, the A/C compressor is automatically kept off to prevent freezing up.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Well we can't exactly run them in the winter, can we? You live in Miami crownvic, I dunno if you've lived up north, but we kinda need to run the heat in the winter, lol. Besides, once it gets to a certain temperature outside, the A/C compressor is automatically kept off to prevent freezing up.

I have been living here for only 5 years...Before that I was in Queens New York...I used to leave the a/c on automatic all year long up there...In cars I didn't have the automatic postion I used to leave the a/c system on either the mix,bi-level or hi-low position...I think mix is the only one left for the winter in cars that do not have the automatic position...The compressor would come on often enough in one of those positions.

I never could figure out why General Motors dropped the bi-level position and Ford dropped the hi-low position...It was awesome for cars the did not have the automatic position for the winter and spring months.

We keep all are cars on the automatic position [76 degrees] all the time.

A lot of GM system still have bi-level. Also if you place the airflow selector on Defog or Defrost the A/C will run provided ambient temperature is above ~40F. I think R12 systems were more reliable.

I had an '86 Golf; the magazine write-ups said they developed the A/C in Texas. Worked great, which helped with a red car featuring a black/charcoal/gray interior. I used to hang a warm can of soda in front of the vent. Had a cold soda to drink in only 10 minutes or so. Too bad the rest of the car was carp.

2 great ones I recall.

1970 Impala - rebuilt by me and actual air temp output was 34 degrees in Fl summer!

1976 Dodge Van - bi V-twin compressor really pumped out the cold air. It came out right over the cup holders and would keep my 'beverage' icy cold all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back